Bikes for Trail Riding... The start

Hairy

The guys in KZN and Cape are really fortunate to have real trails. We get excited about a 1km flow trail with maybe a 20m drop in elevation. With what we have we could 90% of the time ride hardtails.

Mountain Tax bru!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Karkloof classic and DH on Facebook.

Look out for vids of Hilton Turvey. That dude is unfrikkenbelivable on a bike. Last I saw of him he was riding a 29" Spez Stumpy 150 and jumping 10m road gaps with it.

You can ride downhill with minimal pedaling for more than 10km out in Karkloof. It's amazing.

If you get a chance to go on holiday with the intention of riding a bike, then that's where I'd go.

We visit Karkloof quite regularly. Definitely my favourite spot in SA to ride.

ha... I like it too. It's good, it sneaks into my top 3 at Jonkers.

In Order of 'fun' I would go Canaries (I think called Ace of Spades now) top to bottom, all splits, Then Iron Monkey top to bottom (same start as Canaries) then Red Phoenix.

Plumber and Status are rad but involve risk, so while fun, they aren't 'fun'. I like the whole package including the steep climb and contour path to the very top of fire hut, but the actual trail is a bit boring. I cannot for the life of me bring myself to ride Never ending.... That trail burns my soul for some reason.

The river trails are actually quite fun... I do miss the old canaries through the pines. Climbing those was a great way to start a big day at Jonkers!

Sjoe.... I need to go there asap

There are parts of the other trails I love.. but as a whole.. Red P does it for me. 

If I had to break it up in sections:

Iron Monkey's top 2 tiers.. the flowtrail part is so hot and then the next pretty nice with some proper gnar in the rocks, but not quite as bad as Plumber's middle. 

Armageddon 7&6..the first two we did at the EWC.

Also keen to ride the DH trail..next time I have some time in there, some nice jumps and gaps to do.

I now have a Annual Jonkers Permit so I guess im kind of local there.

However, I rode Helderberg with Nox about a month ago, they did some serious grooming on some trails and rode so good! some gaps to he hit as well. Was a bit windy on the particular day, but I'll be back for sure. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does this count? It's only got a 120mm fork, but the 3" tyres make it a virtual 135mm bike which is squarely in trail bike territory.

post-131650-0-85476100-1599744079_thumb.jpg

Just still needs, nay, demands, a dropper.

Also, one day when I'm big I'll own an Evil. I just can't get into coloured grips. I'm all for colour matching (my bottle combo in this pic was forced due to clean bottle availability, bottle game is usually on point, darling) but grips have to be black.

Edited by TyronLab

post-46652-0-65063000-1599746251_thumb.jpgpost-46652-0-84120000-1599746264_thumb.jpgpost-46652-0-18030500-1599746291_thumb.jpg

This is an amazing trail bike. I was initailly dissapointed when the insurance told me it was the only replacement avaialbe at the moment in my price class for my stumpjumper ST, but this is so so so much better, even if it has only 120mm rear travel, you almost never notice.

Beaten all my PRs on climbs and descents compared to the stumpy already.....

• 1 month later...