Bikes for Trail Riding... The start

Hairy

Hi There

The differences in the Pike forks are all in the damper. So the Debonair side are exactly the same. The most obvious differences to you are the settings on top of the right fork leg but they do differ "under the hood" as well. . 

The Pike select and select+ which I think was called the RC previously has a simple low speed compression dial. "Under the hood"

The Pike Select uses a slightly more elementary version of the Charger damper called the Charger RC damper. There are whole threads about it here: 

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2018-rock-shox-revelation-rc-1063027.html

It was previously only available on OEM Revelation Charger RC and Lyric Charger RC forks. 

The good news is that the damper actually performs really well. Has a slightly simpler version of the expanding bladder style but its actually similar to the FOX GRIP damper, and, as I said, Performs well. 

The RCT3 Has 3 distinct pre-set Low speed compression settings (Open- Trail-Lock), with a finer tuning dial for the open setting. This is my preferred option, since I use thee trail setting when climbing.The RCT3 has the Charger 2 or 2.1 expanding bladder style damper with a pre-set high speed compression and the low speed compression adjustment mentioned above. 

The Pike Ultimate has the Charger RC2 damper which has independent low and high speed adjustment, but no trail mode. 

Pike Ultimate, Is the ultimate, but I think to you it will be the ultimate minefield. 

To simplify, If you're going to use a "trail" function a lot, get the Pike Select.

If budget is not a problem, the RCT3 with 3 position low speed is nice to have. 

However, they all are serious forks and can handle pretty gnarly stuff. Only when ridden really hard  will you exploit the benefits of your hard earned cash in the higher end models. The higher end Pikes might feel slightly smoother, since the new ones have a soft HSC tune, but If thats all you're after, get a Reba. 

Am I correct in saying then that one would have the option to change out and upgrade the damper at a later stage if so inclined with the likes of a 2.1 and then basically have no difference between the Select and e.g. Ultimate?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I correct in saying then that one would have the option to change out and upgrade the damper at a later stage if so inclined with the likes of a 2.1 and then basically have no difference between the Select and e.g. Ultimate?

As far as I understand that the forks from 2016 and up can be upgraded to the new internals. That was when I was shopping for them for the Lyrik. They would have set me back a smidge over 5k for just the kit. Just buy the Ultimate, then you don’t have to worry about coking up the install or pay for labour at a later stage. My 2c.

Yes, you can. 

This is my recent acquisition. Am loving it. Doesnt make me a better or faster rider but it sure is fun !

It makes you look faster, so a win win win situation!

Yes you are right, but then I would start with a much cheaper fork to start off with. 

I picked up a 2019' Revelation RC Debonair on the hub here for R4500. Im getting the RCT3 upgrade, which sets me back just under 3K (I'll pick it up from bikecomponents.de when in Berlin next month) But the Ultimate damper is R5500.. which If you're already paying 10K for a fork, Is a lot of cash. 

If you're coming off of a Recon, You-ll be happy on any Pike.

If youre not at least an advanced rider riding proper technical trails all day long, the Highspeed compression setting is a waste of time (read minefield)

Rochshox Charger 1 dampers have a rep for being harsh or spike on successive big hits.. which was because the circuit was designed to accommodate heavier riders. (Having your fork's shimstack adjusted would sort most of this out)

Charger 2 dampers is apparently better, and the 2.1 is apparently is pretty good off the bat (if you're in the 70-80kg weight zone), Listen to the audio clip halfway down the VitalMTB article below, they did a lot of work trying to make the 2.1 smoother 

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/2020-RockShox-Suspension-Overhaul-See-the-New-Signature-Series-Products-Charger-2-1-Damper-Update-an,2657

The Charger RC (selfbleeding damper) in the Pike select can also be tweaked a bit, its all in the MTBR thread. But thats if you actually reach the performance limits of the fork at all. 

Its like going from a MP200 bakkie to a entry level ranger Fortuner, its already worlds apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Love that Kona Process 134

Read the PB review this morning. Looks like a great bike, but it seems there is almost nothing that can touch that Norco Optic right now...

GIANT TRANCE ADVANCED PRO 29 1

I call her the “green mamba”, happily handles everything I can throw at her but where she is truly deadly is on the downhills. The Maestro rear suspension keeps the back wheel cemented to the ground and Maxxis Minion tyres has grip for days.

Truly a fun bike to ride.

post-95527-0-10166000-1580129872_thumb.jpg

Read the PB review this morning. Looks like a great bike, but it seems there is almost nothing that can touch that Norco Optic right now...

Seems that for the steeps (of which there are basically vokol in Gauteng) the Optic is the bees knees. The Kona seems a bit more of a balanced bike. Like a slightly pumped up Trance 29

• 1 month later...