Hydration Backpack opinions

VirenB

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I do the shorts (60km) with a 3L. Really not sure what to avoid as I'm a Thule fanboy but I like the fit the way it magnetically fits back to position and doesn't get in the way. Still I take a bottle always Better to have and not need then to need and not have... 

image.png.ccd5dec4edb84c8ef0ce0888bc110067.png

Popped in at Thule Willowbridge.

Yes, they have stock.  Actually a nice wide range.

And then the salesman informs me they dont sell replacement bladders ... 🤔

I ended up buying a ladies camelbak a few years back when Onedayonly were selling them for R799. Think it was dead stock or something. 

https://www.olympiccycles.co.za/product/camelbak-aurora-2-5l-gibraltar-navy-lake-blue/

It's comfy. Has 2 pockets for things like choc bars and can fit a windbreaker if you start a ride and it's cool, and then when you warm up you can fold it up and squeeze it in.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Popped in at Thule Willowbridge.

Yes, they have stock.  Actually a nice wide range.

And then the salesman informs me they dont sell replacement bladders ... 🤔

Hmm...will follow that up. Surely not? 

3 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Hmm...will follow that up. Surely not? 

His exact works to me: "When the bladder goes you will need to replace it with a Camleback or similar".

I have bought a couple of bags and bike racks at that shop.  Have only had excellent service from them.  So in a way I appreciate the feedback, and still dissapointed ....

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

His exact works to me: "When the bladder goes you will need to replace it with a Camleback or similar".

I have bought a couple of bags and bike racks at that shop.  Have only had excellent service from them.  So in a way I appreciate the feedback, and still dissapointed ....

Horror! I really hope he's wrong. Will def get back to you after I have consulted. 

I used to ride with an USWE pack, 2lt bladder, and some extra packing space for bars, small jacket or tools etc, now I ride with the Camelback Repack, I wont go back to the "backpack" style, it is comfy, takes 1.5lt bladder, 2 pockets for tools, bars and a small jacket, can also keep your phone in it if you need to, I like it more than the backpack style because my back doesnt get so hot

But if you want a backpack style one, definitely look at the USWE, and even the Leatt packs, that "no more dancing monkey" system really works well

I ride with a Camelback Ultra Pro running vest. I barely know it's there.

The Camelback chase looks like the perfect replacement.

Warning about the Evoc hip packs. The hose retention system is flawed and keeps coming loose. 

The waist belt itself is also a pain to adjust. 

Great storage space though and looks awesome. 

I use a hip pack when I hike, which are around table mountain, Newlands to Hout Bay etc max one day hikes. They are perfect, but very irritating as the bounce all over my lower back area!!

I have a kway hydration bag which is not bad at all even the straps are great, but then my wife bought me a uswe f3 no dancing monkey. I will never be able to use another bag. The bladder holds 3 liters, it has baffle which prevents the water from smashing about. The no dancing monkey x straps is like nothing else out there and has to be experienced. Then all the small compartments in the bag itself to pac various bits like multi, pump, snacks is well thought out.

I ditched my Dakine and two camelbaks for this USWE. Ordered straight from overseas supplier for R1600 two years ago and took less than two weeks to get here.

I struggled with lower back pain with the Dakine and Camelbak. With the USWE the weight is distributed more towards your chest than shoulders I think. Very comfortable fit, and obviously the "No Dancing Monkey" system works. In this one I can fit a 1,5L bladder, all my tools, and a few energy bars. Worked well at Trailseeker this weekend and had more than enough fluids (Also had a single 750ml bottle with me) to skip every second waterpoint.

1614853057_20201227_105159(2).jpg.912233271c662747846dd1b438a81567.jpg

I'm using the USWE Raw, and it's amazing. Doesn't bounce, holds 3 litres of fluid, tools, snacks, and easy to fill on the run. The strap system also rocks. It does get hot sometimes, but thats a given with any pack