2020 Tour de France

pista

He makes his argument in a fair manner, but I disagree on a couple of points.

-Moving someone over with your shoulder while climbing is a whole different kettle of fish to doing the same while sprinting at max effort going 60-70km/h. So there are some issues there with comparing the two.

-Yes we want consistency in the rule. But that doesn't mean if a certain action is prohibited it needs to be prohibited throughout the whole stage.

Honestly, I would want to hear from the rest of the sprinters in the Pro-Peloton about how they view this incident. They live and breath it everyday, they should set the tone of what is acceptable and what not. Looking at WvA's reaction, the move during a sprint might not be so well-respected in the pro peloton as this guy seems to think

PS. I realise this guy could have made his post just a little bit more controversial than he truly believes it is to elicit discussions and visits to his channel, so will take it with a pinch of salt.

Quite right!

This dude doesn't understand context. A long bottle is acceptable - being pushed 10km by hanging onto a bottle is not. Working your way back to the peleton through the cars is acceptable - being paced 50km by your team car is not. "Schlecking" through a bunch at 25kph in a bunch is acceptable - barging someone out of the way at 70kph is not.

Edited by Eldron

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Therein lies the problem.

'It's common'... 'It's something people have done forever' etc.... 

It is dangerous, however you paint it. So stamp it out. Sagan was badly positioned in the sprint. The end. 

In order to create better rider safety, changes need to be made. Suddenly the ICU actually do something that the riders and fans have been baying about and the same people now want a blind eye turned?

Change is good and enforcing rider safety is brilliant.

The old guard will always defend what they did in the peleton, because, well, they did it.

Guys batted against genuine pace without helmets, rugby players got tip tackled, soccer clowns got hacked at, riders used to be allowed to ride without helmets!

Safety has spurned change. Hopefully this is another development in said positive change?

Therein lies the problem.

'It's common'... 'It's something people have done forever' etc.... 

It is dangerous, however you paint it. So stamp it out. Sagan was badly positioned in the sprint. The end. 

In order to create better rider safety, changes need to be made. Suddenly the ICU actually do something that the riders and fans have been baying about and the same people now want a blind eye turned?

100% correct. Sagan reacted out of frustration at poor placing and poor performance.

As to people turning a blind eye, I think it's an emotional reaction because it's Sagan who is at fault. If it was Theo Bos or Groenewagen or some less well liked sprinter, the same people would be calling for their exclusion from the race in total.

It is weird, cause Sagan himself has shown he is no saint in sprints before as well. 

My post said Bennett increased his lead by 47, not that he has a 47 point lead.  :D

Sagan started the day on 175, and is still on 175 points. He earned 13 points from the intermediate sprint taking him to 188 points before the final sprint. Relegated to last place in the front group (85th), and then docked 13 points plus the fine, which brings him back to 175.

Final week is mad.

Will Bennett make it to paris?

After today it is mainly intermediate sprints of which there are many.

Green jersey could be between whoever is left, even the itt could see time cuts!

Yeah. You don't let the rider know you're coming by head butting him and shoulder barging him out of the way.

Shoulder rubbing cool. Rubbing is racing but head butting and barging are out of the gentlemen's handbook.

More like this...

post-47220-0-08084200-1599723467_thumb.jpg

Anyone notice these on the inside fo the barrier? Could be a possible reason why Sagan pushed his way out of a crash.

Would love to know who thought it was a good idea to put them there.

100% correct. Sagan reacted out of frustration at poor placing and poor performance.

As to people turning a blind eye, I think it's an emotional reaction because it's Sagan who is at fault. If it was Theo Bos or Groenewagen or some less well liked sprinter, the same people would be calling for their exclusion from the race in total.

It is weird, cause Sagan himself has shown he is no saint in sprints before as well. 

And there he sits at home.

Anyone notice these on the inside fo the barrier? Could be a possible reason why Sagan pushed his way out of a crash. 

If that was the reason I would have expected his team to have mentioned it in his defense? 

heard about this on the cycling tips podcast. They also mentioned someone with a selfie stick.