2020 Tour de France

pista

Anyone notice these on the inside fo the barrier? Could be a possible reason why Sagan pushed his way out of a crash.

Excellent point

Sprinting for the win is not for sissies, stuff happens and riders have to react instantly.

Anyway, no good crying over spilt milk

Hey JW, who would have thought...15 years ago we were arguing over LA on The Hub TDF thread... and now look where you are ????

Did you ever think back in those days this is where you would end up?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe with the way the world is going we will see sponge cushions on descents, elbow pads, knee pads - the world has gone mad. No one is forced to be a pro, it’s a tough and dangerous sport. If you don’t like being bumped, don’t sprint

how does one reach this commentary team? They don't believe in the selfie stick but here it is...

The selfie stick was only seen afterwards and entered into his explanation, that was not the reason he shoved the rider. 

He said himself: he saw a gap, thought he could go through it, the jury didn't agree.

PS. They've seen the picture. 

Maybe they should draw little lines down the last 400m, pick a lane and stay in it, like F1?

gty_826741938_92856413.jpg

Safety has spurred change, I think the challenge is, what is acceptable, short of stopping the sprints all together?

Nah, If the riders self govern, then there will be sprints. If they step out of line, then the UCI should intervene.

If they are boxed in, out of position, avoiding barriers and selfie sticks etc then they must concentrate on staying upright and not try to force an opening AND compete for the sprint.

If the sprinting is forced to clean up, teams will be forced to have better lead outs, better race craft etc

I am a massive Sagan fan, so I am not attacking him in this specifically. I just think it is time for change. After 'THE crash' there were so many ex riders saying that they have been more and more concerned with rider safety but the UCI do nothing... So what is the solution?

Change the barriers etc but also educate the riders and force their behavior to change. They are ultimately the only ones who can initiate safer scenarios 

Cycling is an awesome sport because it is low impact....until it's not....then it is pretty frikkin high impact!

Edit: Is it just me or has Coronayear thrown up a stack of gory and serious accidents?

Eldron,

I reckon that the PROs are fitter and fresher because of the late start. With the shortened calendar of racing, the stakes are incredibly high for contracts, sponsors and teams alike. There's definitely a frenetic, almost desperate, pace to the Tour in 2020.

Nah, If the riders self govern, then there will be sprints. If they step out of line, then the UCI should intervene.

If they are boxed in, out of position, avoiding barriers and selfie sticks etc then they must concentrate on staying upright and not try to force an opening AND compete for the sprint.

If the sprinting is forced to clean up, teams will be forced to have better lead outs, better race craft etc

I am a massive Sagan fan, so I am not attacking him in this specifically. I just think it is time for change. After 'THE crash' there were so many ex riders saying that they have been more and more concerned with rider safety but the UCI do nothing... So what is the solution?

Change the barriers etc but also educate the riders and force their behavior to change. They are ultimately the only ones who can initiate safer scenarios 

My comment is not aimed at you in any way shape or form.

I saw 3 guys going hard. No malice. Just hard racing. Gladiators sometimes bleed.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Am I the only one watching today's stage? Let the Sagan Saga rest in peace.

Been watching.

Not too much to discuss at this moment.

Might get more spicey in the leadup to the Cat2 climb at 26km to go.

At 218km, today is the Longest stage of the 2020 TDF.

The longest stage from all other editions have been longer.

So it might sound weird, but today is the shortest longest stage of a TDF...

Edited by Vetplant

Anyone notice these on the inside fo the barrier? Could be a possible reason why Sagan pushed his way out of a crash. 

I very much doubt those protrusions are rigid; either cardboard of pvc / vinyl sheeting that would easily give way on impact.

Some trivia:

The longest stage of this year’s Tour is more than twice as short as the longest stage in the history of the Tour: 482km was the length of the Les Sables d’Olonne to Bayonne contested every year from 1919 to 1924. Past WW2, the longest stage was Clermont-Ferrand to Fontainebleau, 359km in 1967.

how does one reach this commentary team? They don't believe in the selfie stick but here it is...

Not a Sagan fan.

If you look at that picture, Sagan was level/over his bike with elbows out.

Wout was leaning left and not align/over his bike center of gravity.

Harsh call from my view.

Not a Sagan fan.

If you look at that picture, Sagan was level/over his bike with elbows out.

Wout was leaning left and not align/over his bike center of gravity.

Harsh call from my view.

A sprint is not a static picture. Look at the actual video clips. Sagan clearly and deliberately went into the other rider. Hell, his own team management said he deliberately went for the other rider. 

I don't know what picture you refer to, but it sounds like one where Van Aert is leaning back in an effort to stay upright - ie. after Sagan's original untoward movement.

Edited by TNT1

Oh look. NTT slipped a rider into the break. I almost forgot they were even in the race. Can a team really be more anonymous?

Movistar - I never knew they were there until I saw they had yellow lids (leading team).