The toolbox thread

100Tours

Those are probably good screwdrivers but there's no phillips type (JIS pattern obviously) driver in the set and that's really where the real magic of having a JIS screwdriver is at.

Japanese brand Vessel make some very nice JIS screwdriver sets, I have seen a few of their tools for sale in SA but not the JIS stuff.

I posted because the set includes a JIS #1

Interesting to note that the Park Tool DSD-2 is a JIS #2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d like to thank all the guys on this thread for ensuring I didn’t even look at my bike this weekend - I spent all weekend sorting my workshop because I was ashamed after seeing some people’s

One clean tool drawer does not a clean garage make ...

Also need to spend time cleaning the rest ....

*FREE POWER TOOLS

Well not quite, but now that I have your attention I can tell you about a little idea I had where I have managed to get "free" or almost free power tools (and no, I'm not referring to the Five Finger Discount method).

It's really quite simple. Buy more tools than you need. Sell the ones you don't.

About a year ago I was after a few cordless tools (jigsaw, circular saw, impact driver, 2x extra batteries). Individually priced I'd be looking at around $1,500.

But then a saw a 9 tool kit, with batteries, chargers and some free tools (via redemption offer) for $2000.

ff073a08-3d9d-4115-813f-7405a76af262.png

(slightly different redemption offers from what I got)

As I didn't need most of the tools and the RRP of the whole kit (if bought individually) was around $4,100, I figured I could sell what I didn't need at a hugely discounted price (about 40% off RRP) and get everything I wanted for $740. Less than half the RRP. A win indeed!

Yesterday I did the same with a lawnmower. My little 18V Ryobi mower struggles if I let the grass to grow too long, so I upgraded to this:

95ca36ea-e18b-4904-adbd-d96e62bcc6a9.png

36V (dual 18V) brushless mower. WAY more powerful.

The kit sells for $850. I paid $750 (I have a card which gives me trade pricing). The mower skin alone sells for $600. As I don't need the batteries, chargers, or radio, I'll sell them (again at about 40% off RRP, so a bargain to potential buyers), and I've worked out that I should be able to do the mower upgrade for only around $150 out of pocket (75% off RRP).

And whilst big 9pc AEG kits may not be available in SA, I'm sure Makita, DeWalt, Bosch and the like may do something similar. Not a bad way to get cheap tools, if one is willing to go through the hassle of selling off the excess.

Edited by patches

I posted because the set includes a JIS #1

Interesting to note that the Park Tool DSD-2 is a JIS #2

Ah sorry does that set come with a JIS size #1 Phillips driver in it?

I would check because on the side of the screwdriver is printed PH 2x50.

PH refers to Philips not JIS

Keep your eyes open at flea markets and second hand stores for Honda or Yamaha screwdrivers because these are normally JIS

And dont bother asking at a Toyota dealership, even the head mechanic will give you a blank look. Even though every flipping screw on a toyota is JIS

Edited by Maaknplan