Gout

Jonesy

Gout, my nemesis.... used to suffer severely and started a regime of daily checks to determine what was causing it. Kept logs of all foods eaten and did a test each morning. Eat or drink whatever I never got it under control. Years of attacks with pain and suffering until one day I bit the bullet and asked the doctor to be put on Puricos.

That was around 7 years ago, only one attack since and only because I forgot to take my daily dose for a few days running. Some of us are just genetically predisposed to gout, for us puticos is the answer.

Gout is the worst disease known to man, debilitating when you have it regularly.

Some people are just unlucky.

One of the toughest answers to chronic gout is to cut out alcohol.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Commiserations, it’s the most painful thing I have ever had.

Gout is caused by purines in the diet as they get broken down to uric acid. Look at the source if protein you are taking, if it’s yeast derived for example, that could be the issue.

I manage to control mine through diet. Basically very little meat (3-4 times per month) and not too much alcohol (one evening a week generally). In a way I’m glad my gout started as I feel generally far healthier on this diet than I did beforehand.

Aaaahhh it's because you eat to much red meat protein. You did say you were on a high protein low carb diet. My solution is to go vegan or just avoid processed and red meats, that will lower your gout pain and attacks for sure.

I suffered with gout for years, no matter how fit I was ( At the time I was a Comrades runner). I developed unsightly Tophis all over my joints and often had to have my knees aspirated to remove liquid. Many late night trips to find a cortisone cocktail frustrated me. I eventually forced myself to take a daily dose of Puricross and a single anti inflammatory. I then began following the Low Carb high fat diet and cut alcohol  out other than the occasional glass or two of wine. After losing 22kgs and sticking to the Puricross I have been clear for more than 4 years. Even the Tophis have reduced to little more than a small lump here and there. My protein intake is quite high but what I still steer clear of is breads, pastrys, fizzy cooldrinks, sugar and sadly beer.

I suffer from ramdom gout attacks. Few and far between but bloody vicious when they attack. It is horrible. I tried Colchicine but felt ill from the tablets.

I then discovered this from a local pharmasist. Sorts it out within an hour. I always keep a bomb available and at the slightest hint of an attack, I take a bomb.

But I really dont like taking tablets. The chap from my local canna shop has now given me a cannabis product to try. He says that I will never have an attack again. attachicon.gif1572773059443.jpeg

What is in that back? I'm keen to explore all options to keep beast at bay. My big toe knuckle on the left hand side has basically fused and won't bed back past straight which makes a hiking the mountain, running n playing ball sports with my nippers and struggle. Pretty sure I don't want that to spread to the other foot or into the ankle.

I suffer from ramdom gout attacks. Few and far between but bloody vicious when they attack. It is horrible. I tried Colchicine but felt ill from the tablets.

I then discovered this from a local pharmasist. Sorts it out within an hour. I always keep a bomb available and at the slightest hint of an attack, I take a bomb.

But I really dont like taking tablets. The chap from my local canna shop has now given me a cannabis product to try. He says that I will never have an attack again. attachicon.gif1572773059443.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. Please keep us in the loop on the progress with cannabis.

PS: I see the bomb is contra-indicated for diabetics. Any idea specifically why?

Thanks!

I’m confused here. OP says high protein low carb. I thought that in the absence of carbs / sugar the body uses ketones as an energy source. This requires more fat than protein?

What I am trying to say is surely OP has ratio’s wrong in diet. Needs to lower the protein and up the fats. Pretty sure that will also reduce the gout issue.

Thank you for the response. I'm no expert on this topic but there's a significant number of knowledgeable health experts that are anti HFLC diets. As ChrisF said, lots of conflicting information out there.

Just wish there was greater consensus on this very important matter. I'm very tempted to go HFLC now though.

Gout, my nemesis.... used to suffer severely and started a regime of daily checks to determine what was causing it. Kept logs of all foods eaten and did a test each morning. Eat or drink whatever I never got it under control. Years of attacks with pain and suffering until one day I bit the bullet and asked the doctor to be put on Puricos.

That was around 7 years ago, only one attack since and only because I forgot to take my daily dose for a few days running. Some of us are just genetically predisposed to gout, for us puticos is the answer.

Thanks. Wish others in my circle knew how debilitating Gout can be. Do you know of significant side effects of Puricos long-term?

Gout is the worst disease known to man, debilitating when you have it regularly.

You have lost your weight.

Time to go back to a healthy WELL BALANCED diet.

Long term high protein diets have bad side effects. Your body needs the fibers in your diet. Both soluble and non soluble.

Don't believe peddlers of fad diets. No matter how many biased internet studies they copy and paste.

Good advice. But it can get tricky when you trying control sugar levels too.

Interesting how its triggered by different things.

For me its tomato and or lemon juice/fresh lemons.

If I smash quite a few tomatoes in a couple of days I will definitely wake up with a sore finger or toe.

Anti inflammatory sorts it out quickly though so I definitely cant complain.

Thanks. Wish others in my circle knew how debilitating Gout can be. Do you know of significant side effects of Puricos long-term?

According to doctors I have consulted over the years there are no long term side effects if taken as directed.

Puricos can lead to certain side effects initially and should be stopped if experienced.

I was seriously in trouble with gout, experiencing an attack every second month or so. I resisted taking puricos for years trying all sorts of diets etc until eventually I could no longer take it. For some of us it just is the only answer.

The serious side effects of NOT taking puricos would be seriously damaged joints etc etc.

Commiserations, it’s the most painful thing I have ever had.

Gout is caused by purines in the diet as they get broken down to uric acid. Look at the source if protein you are taking, if it’s yeast derived for example, that could be the issue.

I manage to control mine through diet. Basically very little meat (3-4 times per month) and not too much alcohol (one evening a week generally). In a way I’m glad my gout started as I feel generally far healthier on this diet than I did beforehand.

Thanks. What are your main protein sources then?

Thanks. What are your main protein sources then?

Basically plant based. You have to mix it up a bit though; legumes are low in methionine and maize in lysine. To get a balanced diet you have to have a bit of everything.

Basically plant based. You have to mix it up a bit though; legumes are low in methionine and maize in lysine. To get a balanced diet you have to have a bit of everything.

My sentiments exactly. I have a bit of fish, a bit of Chicken, a bit of lamb and a bit of meat. Pork not so much. :whistling: