Attakwas 2020

Warrenlee

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently a route change somewhere? For the more seasoned Atta guys, where and how did the route change?

Apparently a route change somewhere? For the more seasoned Atta guys, where and how did the route change?

They took out the singletrack after WP4. Increased the distance by 2km

NAD Pro MTB’s Matt Beers and Fairtree Capital’s Jennie Stenerhag started the 2020 mountain biking season in the best possible way on Saturday, 18 January. The pair overcame formidable elite, men’s and women’s, fields to win the Momentum Health Attakwas Extreme presented by Biogen. Depth of competition and the famously difficult course were made more challenging by the unseasonal weather.

Click here to view the article

Mini Attakwas start. Just a few random pics.

Mudfest galore, even the mini got rerouted because of flooded water crossings.ceb32d70229dbbd1ccd483374f6eca3a.jpga19d8c8470ff01315941305bfc52a336.jpged882448e6e9efd9271ef986d1c3e441.jpg

We found 2 pairs of mtb shoes after the finish at Pine Creek yesterday. 1 pair Spez in parking area before the entrance, 1 pair Fizik in mens ablution near finish area and toolbag with spares also in ablution at finish area with driver's licence and tools inside. Going to hand them over to Dryland guys today.e3a868f7c3c86131ee825f1b59dde1d2.jpg0564a1c3272f7632411ebb462f2c1fb3.jpg

But lets talk about the really important stuff. How disappointing was that goodie bag? Not even a t-shirt this year. Granted you could buy one, but at R350 a pop? For that entry fee I expected more quite frankly. 

We found 2 pairs of mtb shoes after the finish at Pine Creek yesterday. 1 pair Spez in parking area before the entrance, 1 pair Fizik in mens ablution near finish area and toolbag with spares also in ablution at finish area with driver's licence and tools inside. Going to hand them over to Dryland guys today.e3a868f7c3c86131ee825f1b59dde1d2.jpg0564a1c3272f7632411ebb462f2c1fb3.jpg

Owner of tools and licence card will be reunited with his belongings tomorrow. Thanks to Bernard from Dryland for letting the owner know about his belongings.

But lets talk about the really important stuff. How disappointing was that goodie bag? Not even a t-shirt this year. Granted you could buy one, but at R350 a pop? For that entry fee I expected more quite frankly.

Last year also did not have a t shirt in the goodie bag. When the entry fee bridged the R1k mark, I just could not justify entering again this year ???? Just too expensive. I still wonder why the fee went up that much though. Barberton classic is next week at below R500 entry fee for the ultra...

I see why Christoph Sauser rates Attakwas the toughest single stage race in the world. Its brutal. Unfortunately I got to 75km before disaster struck. By derailer hanger snapped and in doing so wrecked my derailer. Race over. To be forced to quit when I was feeling so strong is not an easy thing to deal with. Walked a few km before being picked up by medical team at taken to WP. Amazing care there as by that time during the walk the cold had set in. Warm blanket, coffee and food. Didn't make me feel better about being out the race but at least I was comfortable. Amazingly well organised event! Im not done with this bugger of a race. 2021 Il be back and ready for more abuse. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my ride. Took is easy for the first 30 and that allowed me to finish in 9.15 without too much suffering.

Slippery and treacherous mud slowed everybody down and I think many riders tumbled.

I thought sub 9 was on with 30 to go but then someone put hills in the way. Grootbrak ... the only sea level town you get to by going uphill.

Entry fee is worth it for the seamless organisation of the event. This is not just another mtb event and I will be back next year for sure.