Attakwas 2020

Warrenlee

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this race be best to ride with a very light hard tail or a heavy full suspension?

Would this race be best to ride with a very light hard tail or a heavy full suspension?

Very rocky over the Attakwaskloof. Rutty over the last 40km. I have done it previous times on a hardtail but this year I intend to be faster on a FS

Anyone else staying over in groot brak and driving thru to the start on Saturday morning!?

Is this a even a good idea (a bit late as accommodation already confirmed) ?????

Please let me know if somebody know of a (Extreme) entry available.

I've just spoken to the guys from Dryland, entries they opened for the extreme was set on 900, there are less entries so I'm sure that if you give them a call, there will still be entries available.

Dryland can only be ironic given the latest yr.no forecast

Looks like it's going to be a wet one [emoji3061][emoji97][emoji2415]71dffe0a6aeb849572b07efdaef4f6c8.jpg

Guys Iv lived in the Garden Route my whole life, trust me, ignore the weather forecast. Its too far away. From around noon on Wednesday you can start looking at it. It might look grim now but come Saturday it could be 45 with no wind. Alot can change. No point worrying about it. Yr is accurate but they do often get it wrong. I compare Accuweather, Yr and Weathercity. Find the common denominator and go with that. 

Does the weather actually matter?

Surely you just race what is in front of you on the day?

Worrying about it is a bit like worrying why the sun goes down.

There is nothing you can do to change it and you just have to deal with it....

If it's raining it probably won't be cold, so throw a gillet, jacket/base layer into your bag and choose to take it with on the morning?

Does the weather actually matter?

Surely you just race what is in front of you on the day?

Worrying about it is a bit like worrying why the sun goes down.

There is nothing you can do to change it and you just have to deal with it....

If it's raining it probably won't be cold, so throw a gillet, jacket/base layer into your bag and choose to take it with on the morning?

My biggest worry is the sticky mud that appears in that Karoo area when it rains that destroy drivetrains. Luckily mine is due to be replaced anyway..

My biggest worry is the sticky mud that appears in that Karoo area when it rains that destroy drivetrains. Luckily mine is due to be replaced anyway..

Ja, but would you not race if it was raining and muddy?

If that is the case then I get it, but even then you will probably still travel up and see on the morning?

Still make 'worrying' a bit of a waste of serotonin and energy in my mind.

But I'm simple and I quite enjoy races when the elements are against you. It adds to the challenge and seems to weedle out the snowflakes

Ja, but would you not race if it was raining and muddy?

If that is the case then I get it, but even then you will probably still travel up and see on the morning?

Still make 'worrying' a bit of a waste of serotonin and energy in my mind.

But I'm simple and I quite enjoy races when the elements are against you. It adds to the challenge and seems to weedle out the snowflakes

Yes it's fun to play with your bike in the mud until you get the bill from the bike shop afterwards. If it was just a regular funride then yes I would snowflake out and leave the challenge to the real hardcore men & women  :P But given that I sacrificed a lot of time & beer over the December holidays to specifically prepare for this one I will be on the starting line even if it rains.

All part of the build up. Checking the forecast, wondering if it will be slippery... all part of the sense of occasion.

Yes it's fun to play with your bike in the mud until you get the bill from the bike shop afterwards. If it was just a regular funride then yes I would snowflake out and leave the challenge to the real hardcore men & women  :P But given that I sacrificed a lot of time & beer over the December holidays to specifically prepare for this one I will be on the starting line even if it rains.

hahahahaha you probably saved the money equivalent of a cassette and chain on the beer you missed!

I would pack the SS and hike a bike shoes. Guilt free mud fest of fun!

I am however giving it a miss this year for an absolute road fest.... Stellenbosch CT this weekend and Red Hill Marathon the weekend after.

I'm allowed 1 'overnight or more' race every 6 months and I have a beast in early July so I'm counting credits.... 

Guys Iv lived in the Garden Route my whole life, trust me, ignore the weather forecast. Its too far away. From around noon on Wednesday you can start looking at it. It might look grim now but come Saturday it could be 45 with no wind. Alot can change. No point worrying about it. Yr is accurate but they do often get it wrong. I compare Accuweather, Yr and Weathercity. Find the common denominator and go with that.

Especially the Garden route, we had flood warnings issued a few times in 2019, river mouth opened at huge costs and then NOTHING happened. Best is to take it day by day and just do the Attakwas which is a downhill race. [emoji1787][emoji1787]