Safety / Self-defence gear on MTB

dannygirl

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a quick flick folding knife with me when I cycle alone, especially on the Wannabees trail. I like it because it is low profile and fits in my back pocket. It's a bit more risky as you have to get close to the perp, so not for everyone. It has saved me from a car jacking in 2016 though.

I don't and won't carry a gun on me because to me it feels like once perps figure out we carry we will become even bigger targets. Guns are far more of a commodity than bicycles. That, and I don't want a gun anywhere near me if I come off the bike at high speed or go over an especially rough rock garden - I know the chances of an accidental discharge is small, but that's not a risk I am willing to take.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

There was a guy that was confronted at the track here behind a High School and said please take my phone and wallet in panic and reached into his pocket for his phone in the one hand and the other he delayed on purpose so that they can see the phone and in the motion of handing the phone the other hand he swung out with a pepper spray and sprayed the guys and managed to pick up his bike and get to safety.

Maybe this sort of a thing can work, I guess it depends on the situation too.

If you carry a knife you better know damned well how to use it to full effect. Because a scenario of multiple perps and you armed with just a knife is going to escalate and get messy very, very quickly 9/10 times. A CQC situation with a blade is not for the feint hearted, so just understand that when you pull a knife it's not going to 'scare them off' like a gun would. You basically need to kill someone (or come very close) for it to be an effective self defence tool... 

Edited by GrahamS2

If you carry a knife you better know damned well how to use it to full effect. Because a scenario of multiple perps and you armed with just a knife is going to escalate and get messy very, very quickly 9/10 times. A CQC situation with a blade is not for the feint hearted, so just understand that when you pull a knife it's not going to 'scare them off' like a gun would. You basically need to kill someone (or come very close) for it to be an effective self defence tool... 

But if you know what do do with a knife, you can inflict major damage / pain without killing.

Remember, nobody likes the sight of blood gushing from a wound, especially if it's his own blood.

But if you know what do do with a knife, you can inflict major damage / pain without killing.

Remember, nobody likes the sight of blood gushing from a wound, especially if it's his own blood.

Like that guy a giba gorge a few years ago who took out 3 guys with his knife. I wonder what happened to him?

or a blue tooth speaker playing Celine Dion ... that will teach them

Celine-Dion-2-AP.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Nah, rather Kurt Darren with "Kaptein span die seile", then the tikkop schemes you're one of them.

Basic fight training is really worth doing. 

You would need to know to step in not away, get close and know where the fleshy spots are that are easy to get to and won't trap the blade.

Also that knives are for stabbing, not slashing.

You will see blood and you will do damage.

Basic fight training is really worth doing. 

You would need to know to step in not away, get close and know where the fleshy spots are that are easy to get to and won't trap the blade.

Also that knives are for stabbing, not slashing.

You will see blood and you will do damage.

Only area where you slash at, is at the top of the forearms, it bleeds like hell, and quickly removes the perps will to fight / attack. It is also seldom fatal wounds, just bleeds profusely due to all the blood vessels under the skin. (don't ask me how I know  :ph34r: )

The only reason I am not very keen on this is if you get knocked off the bike and are then separated from the pepper spray

I have tried making a point of reading other peoples' first hand experiences of bike jackings and what is to be learnt from those experiences.

It seems as far too often people do get separated from their pepper spray when it is bar mounted.

That is why I have also gone the route of securing my pepper spray on my hydration pack to keep it as close to me as possible when and if needed. 

Another purchase I made recently is buying a telescopic baton off Takealot for under R250.

The thing flicks out to about 45cm in length and it makes quite an intimidating "Click" once flicked open.

It offers you a slight advantage in distance and it will break someone's knuckles with one swing.

Only area where you slash at, is at the top of the forearms, it bleeds like hell, and quickly removes the perps will to fight / attack. It is also seldom fatal wounds, just bleeds profusely due to all the blood vessels under the skin. (don't ask me how I know  :ph34r: )

If I was being attacked by multiple perps I wouldn't try to be nice. I would stab them in the gut and groin. If their forearms got in the way then they will bleed, just as you say.

Like that guy a giba gorge a few years ago who took out 3 guys with his knife. I wonder what happened to him?

I asked this question previously and there was no reply.

I would also like to know.

whatever hand weapon you choose, just do yourself a favour and practice your moves.

Heat of moment actions that are not practiced tend to be weak and ineffective. While i appreciate most of us hope mere display of a weapon will prompt regret on behalf of the perp, remember, they are often very motivated and well practiced, and know when they see a lame duck.

So be prepared to dish it out, and for that to be effective, it's best you practiced beforehand.

Edited by Capricorn