Death of the GP4000

Schmorglebot

My plan is to see what Black Friday brings locally, failing that I'll shop abroad. Right now Merlin is winning at +-R980 for a pair of 25C GP4000s and I think I have access to a mule to bring 'em home

Unless Mamil decides to share  ;)

Edited by Schmorglebot

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wanted to be an only child!!

My plan is to see what Black Friday brings locally, failing that I'll shop abroad. Right now Merlin is winning at +-R980 for a pair of 25C GP4000s and I think I have access to a mule to bring 'em home

Unless Mamil decides to share  ;)

in a years time, it will be even harder to find these, so rather make the switch now to the 5000's, they are much better.

I have a stash of 3 sets bought on the last CW special ... :thumbup:

How long will they last in storage? The rubber might go hard and become unusable.

How long will they last in storage? The rubber might go hard and become unusable.

I've stored a set for over a year and a half with no problems. I just kept them in a sealed bag and kept them out of the light

in a years time, it will be even harder to find these, so rather make the switch now to the 5000's, they are much better.

It's really all down to price for me. When the 5000s come down a bit I'll gladly make the switch

Haven't bought a GP4000 since I switched to Pirelli PZero Velo for the rear and Velo4S for the front.

Won't need to get another GP4000 ever again. The King is dead long live the King

Haven't bought a GP4000 since I switched to Pirelli PZero Velo for the rear and Velo4S for the front.

Won't need to get another GP4000 ever again. The King is dead long live the King

The data on www.bicyclerollingresistance.com makes a pretty compelling case for the Pirelli's. Thanks for the tip

The data on www.bicyclerollingresistance.com makes a pretty compelling case for the Pirelli's. Thanks for the tip

Its not just the rolling resistance. The Pirelli grip better in damp to full wet conditions too.

The compound seems to be quite resilient to cuts from stones and glass. The Black Chilli seems to cut and tear where as the Pirelli compound cuts a bit then seems to resist further fracture. I am getting so much better mileage as well. I haven't tried the GP5000 yet but the Pirelli just ticks the boxes.

Also at the same pressure as the GP4000 they feel softer. So I run them 5psi higher. They're just so supple. Really great tyre and Bikemob has them on special at the moment

Its not just the rolling resistance. The Pirelli grip better in damp to full wet conditions too.

The compound seems to be quite resilient to cuts from stones and glass. The Black Chilli seems to cut and tear where as the Pirelli compound cuts a bit then seems to resist further fracture. I am getting so much better mileage as well. I haven't tried the GP5000 yet but the Pirelli just ticks the boxes.

Also at the same pressure as the GP4000 they feel softer. So I run them 5psi higher. They're just so supple. Really great tyre and Bikemob has them on special at the moment

Man, you make some good points! I'm convinced! Take that Continental!

Hmm, I'll bite. Ordered two Pirelli 4S tyres from Evobikes (they were slightly cheaper for 23mm size than Bikemob, 25mm is just too close for comfort on my frame).

Had a sidewall cut this weekend on a GP5000, due to a small rock I didn't see in the bunch. Only my third race with them. Bye R900...

Hmm, I'll bite. Ordered two Pirelli 4S tyres from Evobikes (they were slightly cheaper for 23mm size than Bikemob, 25mm is just too close for comfort on my frame).

Had a sidewall cut this weekend on a GP5000, due to a small rock I didn't see in the bunch. Only my third race with them. Bye R900...

I have three repaired GP4000s's with side wall cuts. Very frustrating. I use them on my training bike and on the rear wheel only. Too expensive to throw away and repaired with a Leyzyne gator they seem to be holding up well enough. They also go into the DC spare tyre bin so if needed they go onto a tea bike and I don't fret about never seeing it again.

The Pirelli Pzero Velo 4S is a softer rubber so may not last as well on the rear but I think you will like the grip on the front. I'm a little overconfident with it at the moment.