Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

Your intention/desire should never be to kill anyone. Only to protect your own life or the lives of others.

I read something about this recently. it went something like. . . . 

"Very few people sit in their homes with their famalies and have the intention or desire to kill anyone. Most people sit in their homes with their famalies and eat dinner, watch TV or help their kids with homework.

If you are sitting in your home eating dinner, watching TV or helping your kids with their homework and someone enters your home with the express purpose of doing you or your family harm, then you have the right to defend yourself and them with a clear conscience.

Your aim, foremost, is your and their safety. That fact is not up for discussion. If you can achieve that without taking a life then all well and good. but if you can't, or if you're not sure whether you can or not, then rather err on the side of caution and "put the man down". You didn't ask him into your house to do wrong - that was entirely on him. He has to take responsibility for his actions.

In order to behave as given above, most of us need to mentally prepare ourselves in advance. That means thinking long and hard about your family and what you would do to protect them. Once you have agreed that with yourself then you will be able to act under the extreme pressure of a home invasion.

Planning and preparing yourself for such an eventuality is not the same as "hoping it will happen" because you have the desire to kill someone.....

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you escaped unharmed both times

Kenty is not suggesting anything about being a cowboy. His comment and mine is simple: it is sad that we as people are grateful when things get stolen, but we are not injured/killed in the incident.

It is a sad sad way to live. We work hard for what we have, we should be be furious if something gets stolen, we should want better.

People are unaware of how stressful this is - it just forms part of normal life.

I have now been in Canada for 3 months. I have not had a single rage incident, I have not felt threatened yet, I haven't had to protect or safeguard anything. I forgot my backpack filled with groceries outside a shop. Half an hour later when I realised this I went back and found it there.

This is how life should be. 

AGREED!!!...100%...

I had a friend of a friend (older gentleman) who caught a young chap in his house, busy rummaging through his belongings.

When accosting the intruder, he got attacked by the intruder (inside his own house that was buttoned up, burglar bars at at the windows, all the doors locked, the intruder gained access by forcing a kitchen window open and bending the burglar bars away)

The gent, either through skill or plain luck, managed to overcome the intruder after a fierce struggle, in which both got injured. He tied the intruder up with some cable ties he had handy, and called the cops, who arrived  quite quickly.

The homeowner got told to go to the Police station to lay a charge against the intruder, and the cops loaded the bleeding perp into the van, and off they went.

The homeowner quickly cleaned himself up, bandaging his wounds, got into his car, and went to the cop shop. He got there just a few minutes after the cops with the perp arrived. Upon his arrival, he promptly got arrested and charged with Assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm, as the perp laid a charge against him in the few minutes it took him to get there.

No amount of explaining helped, he got locked away for the weekend (this was on a Friday afternoon) till his first appearance on the Monday, where he had to apply for bail, with the intruder sitting sitting pretty in the gallery.

Not even his Attorney could get him released on bail over the weekend.

It took a few moths for the case to actually appear on the court rolls, where it promptly got chucked out. This obviously caused him a great deal of anguish, not to mention the cost of an lawyer involved.

The saddest part, the perp was never charged, as he was befriended with one of the cops, even though he was a known trouble maker.

Karma however got the last word, as he was stabbed to death a while later in a scuffle in a shebeen. 

Moral of the story, insist on them completing the docket there and then, don't allow them to leave without it being done. This "come to the charge office to lay a charge" is just a chance for things to be turned against you. 

What, you’re going to walk around with your AR randomly shooting people or specific people? There’s a bit of a difference between self defence and going looking

Yesterday a car dealer was shot and killed, 2 other co workers injured because of a disagreement with a disgruntled customer..

He walked in had and argument and pulled out his gun shot the three people and went and handed himself over to the police.

I would like to think most gun owners are responsible..but a lot aren't and lot just shouldn't have firearms.

Yesterday a car dealer was shot and killed, 2 other co workers injured because of a disagreement with a disgruntled customer..

He walked in had and argument and pulled out his gun shot the three people and went and handed himself over to the police.

I would like to think most gun owners are responsible..but a lot aren't and lot just shouldn't have firearms.

100% - I am a huge advocate for firearm ownership, but, as with bicycles, fast cars, knives etc etc, every stupid act or poorly considered statement does the reputation of all legal firearm owners harm.

Right, that’s me out. This stuff just makes me mad.

I often ride that section on my "pat malone"  :eek:  Wont be venturing there again. Seems like nowhere is safe anymore. I considered Spruit one the safest... 

Never ride alone; take some 'protection' with you! I  ride on the road but always have my two 'friends' with me!

Is not automatically the case if you phone the cops or must you race to the station?

Depends on the situation, i.e. how long will you wait for the cops, if they do show-up, how interested will they be in your plight, are you able to make your way to the cops etc.?

exactly why I've never tried to get a firearm. I know I have a terrible temper, literally see red and have tunnel vision when I loose my cool, put a firearm in reach and the chances of me doing something really stupid are just way to high for my liking.

This is Mohammed Dangor, son of Farouk Dangor, owner of Speedy Car Sales, that was killed.

This is Mohammed Dangor, son of Farouk Dangor, owner of Speedy Car Sales, that was killed.

Yes

Tragic.

Very I don't personally know the family only the occational hello if you see them around town and of course everyone in the area know of them but from what I can understand he was a nice guy...very young only 30.

They always support the local schools with sponsorships etc so this incident has really shaken the town.

Edited by Gen