Road : Tubeless vs Tube

Wobbles

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although somebody mentioned Evobikes, I'm yet to see it available locally.

Both CRC & Merlin stock it should you want to consider that.

I also saw the evobikes comment but didn't find it on their website. "Best" locally seems to be the Stans Race.

I bought it from Evobikes once in the past. Last time a colleague of mine asked them to bring some in specially for him and I piggybacked on that order. 

Thanks, they don't seem to have it anymore - will keep an eye out for it as every forum pretty much says Orange Seal or bust.

I ride tubeless.

Been on them for 2 full season now:

-At least 8 races on them

-Lots and lots of training rides

No punctures that I know of.

Plushest ride ever. (Schwalbe Pro One's. They fill out to about a 28mm width on the rim, run them at 5Bar, I weigh 92Kg)

CONS:

Took me two nights to get the tyres fitted to the rims, too tight a fit.

Luckily I can't comment on what happens when they do rupture though... :eek:

As luck would have it, I punctured yesterday..... Sealed up good enough on the spot for me to slowly roll back home.

I ride at 5Bar normally, when I got home I checked the pressure and it sat at 1Bar. So I used the track-pump to see how high it can go and it popped open again at 3 Bar.

So, practical question:

I have 947 coming up on sunday and I need to get this sorted before then, what do I do?

A. Plug it with a snot stokkie?

B. Patch it from the inside with a patch kit? (B1.Ask the LBS to do the repair?)

c. Buy a new tyre which gives me peace of mind come Sunday, keep the punctured one for training rides? (The Shwalbes were great, but I am happy to try something new, any suggestions for tyres stocked locally?)

As luck would have it, I punctured yesterday..... Sealed up good enough on the spot for me to slowly roll back home.

I ride at 5Bar normally, when I got home I checked the pressure and it sat at 1Bar. So I used the track-pump to see how high it can go and it popped open again at 3 Bar.

So, practical question:

I have 947 coming up on sunday and I need to get this sorted before then, what do I do?

B. Patch it from the inside with a patch kit? (B1.Ask the LBS to do the repair?)

c. Buy a new tyre which gives me peace of mind come Sunday, keep the punctured one for training rides? (The Shwalbes were great, but I am happy to try something new, any suggestions for tyres stocked locally?)

Hi,

My suggestion is use superglue to close the hole. Then patch from inside with a patch kit. I would not use a badly cut tyre for a race. At the 947 Expo there should be some good deals. I am hoping to buy a set of GP5000TL; apparently they go on easy, provided they are brand new.

Hi,

My suggestion is use superglue to close the hole. Then patch from inside with a patch kit. I would not use a badly cut tyre for a race. At the 947 Expo there should be some good deals. I am hoping to buy a set of GP5000TL; apparently they go on easy, provided they are brand new.

Cool, I am also hesitant to ride a patched solution on Sunday, will look out for a nice alternatives and do the fix you suggested

Dunno about a snot stokkie plug on a road bike tyre but I've used them loads on cars and often enough on MTB tyres and they work very, very well.

SNIP

I'm hoping for a good special on GP5000TLs this week which will become my Christmas present.

I phoned Bicycle Company Centurion this morning... they sell these for R1300.... each...

Not too sure whether the juice is worth the squeeze at that price. Needs to be on helluva special...

So, practical question:

Find a store that deals in composite materials.i.e. resins, glassfibre, carbon fibre etc.

buy a bag/bottle of glass beads and woven glass fabric. The lightest they have.

at home cut the woven fabrics ends (where it generally frays apart  about 3mm length  will be enough and fill a teaspoon. Mix this and the a teaspoon of the glass beads into a small bottle of sealant and fill the tyre. Now try and see if it will plug to 5bar.

Hi,

Solomons apparently having a deal at R999

Dunno about a snot stokkie plug on a road bike tyre but I've used them loads on cars and often enough on MTB tyres and they work very, very well.

I have had trouble with them blowing out on road tubeless. Switched to patching inside the tire instead which works well.

So, practical question:

Depending on the size of the cut, option B would be the way to go. Take the tyre off, clean the area nicely, first with water and then with a bit of sandpaper. Apply the glue and let it become touch dry before applying the patch. Let it sit in the sun for a bit to ensure that the glue drys and the patch takes the right shape.

Reseat, add sealant and ride it on Saturday to make sure it's 100%. If the patch starts lifting, the sealant will keep it in place.

I have done this repair several times before and it works a treat.

I have had trouble with them blowing out on road tubeless. Switched to patching inside the tire instead which works well.

yes .. same here .. plug blew out ... best patch from within as David said  :thumbup: