Road : Tubeless vs Tube

Wobbles

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which orange seal do you use? Regular or endurance? I'm assuming not the subzero.

Ive used both and I can't tell the difference because they both work

I have had 4 punctures in the past month and was advised to go tubeless. On asking around I have had conflicting replies. The Cons are seating issues and mess everywhere when you puncture. The Pros are no stopping for punctures and better ride. I have not met anyone who actually rides tubeless!! Any thoughts?

I use a set of Ryder Tyre Liners wit tubes inside both my training and Zipp racing wheels. They do weigh a few extra grams and maybe detract slightly from the ride quality, but these are small cons compared to lack of punctures with normal tubes only or the associated hassles with tubeless. I cannot remember the last time I got a normal puncture due to stones or glass. My tubes wear out due to old age before they puncture!1

Which orange seal do you use? Regular or endurance? I'm assuming not the subzero.

I have endurance now and have used regular in the past. No difference so far.

I use a set of Ryder Tyre Liners wit tubes inside both my training and Zipp racing wheels. They do weigh a few extra grams and maybe detract slightly from the ride quality, but these are small cons compared to lack of punctures with normal tubes only or the associated hassles with tubeless. I cannot remember the last time I got a normal puncture due to stones or glass. My tubes wear out due to old age before they puncture!1

They probably wear out because of the tyre liners. The liners move around slightly and end up damaging the tubes...

yes .. same here .. plug blew out ... best patch from within as David said  :thumbup:

Thanks guys – live and learn.

been on tubeless since (2017) it came as standard on my bike.
only ever got one puncture that didn't seal with sealant, plugged it and was good as new.

don't see myself going back to tubed. i run 4 bar back 3 bar front (74kilo pilot).

stans sealant, Giant P-SL 1 tires. 

Both supposedly work equally well, although the official word is Regular seals a little better while Endurance lasts a little longer in the tyre.

I patched the tyre from the inside, added some superglue on the outside.

After refitting(which was easier than I remember the 1st time), I inflated successfully but it formed a slight bubble where I fixed the tyre. I am not comfortable riding on that this Sunday, will place that in the "training tyre" bin and fit a fresh one to go out on this Sunday. 

Recently switched to the Token 36 Rims and the Token product Tufo Tubeless Tyres and sealant.

They were slightly harder to fit than normal, but the rest has been only good results. I have ridden them from 2 bar to 7 bar, and honestly are beautiful to ride. I did get a very slow puncture (dropped 1 bar per day) due to a small sharp stone going into the tyre. Removed the stone, applied some superglue, and all is good the last 500km.

What I like about the tubeless over tube is if I get a puncture in a race, more often than not I could stay in the bunch and finish, without having to stop, and have the bunch drop me.

I purchased new tubeless tyres (Giant Gavia Race 0) before 947 but couldn’t get the front tyre to seat properly. Took it into the LBS on Friday but it started to lose pressure by the evening. Took it in again on Saturday morning but started to lose pressure on Saturday night. Then decided to fit a standard clincher tyre and tube but that didn’t go well-there was a wobble on the wheel. At 21H00 on Saturday I decided to do the race on my old steel framed MTB, which I use for holidays-made for a challenging 947.

They probably wear out because of the tyre liners. The liners move around slightly and end up damaging the tubes...

Maybe, but it takes a few years!

• 2 weeks later...

I patched the tyre from the inside, added some superglue on the outside.

After refitting(which was easier than I remember the 1st time), I inflated successfully but it formed a slight bubble where I fixed the tyre. I am not comfortable riding on that this Sunday, will place that in the "training tyre" bin and fit a fresh one to go out on this Sunday. 

Rode past the Union Buildings on Sunday morning, past the Marque Tent with all the rubbish from a party the previous night there.... Next moment..."pshshshshshshs"

Slashed the sidewall of my remaining Schwalbe Tubeless fronm tyre... sealant had no chance. So I popped in the inner tube and was able to ride home with it like that.

Will continue to ride like that for training as long as it lasts but will look out for a new tyre to fit before the next event. 

Doubt I will go tubeless. 

Rode past the Union Buildings on Sunday morning, past the Marque Tent with all the rubbish from a party the previous night there.... Next moment..."pshshshshshshs"

Slashed the sidewall of my remaining Schwalbe Tubeless fronm tyre... sealant had no chance. So I popped in the inner tube and was able to ride home with it like that.

Will continue to ride like that for training as long as it lasts but will look out for a new tyre to fit before the next event. 

Doubt I will go tubeless. 

wouldn't the same thing happen if you weren't tubeless? Sounds like it would have cost you a tyre and a tube

wouldn't the same thing happen if you weren't tubeless? Sounds like it would have cost you a tyre and a tube

it would, but would have been less messy and quicker to just change a tube and stuff a R50 note on the sidewall.