Home made wax lube for chains

hagar

We have an exciting new offering for all the cycling enthusiasts in the SA market! We're now proud to introduce the Muc-Off chain optimization, which is available through select retailers (see the link below to find an Authorised Retailer).

To answer a question that will come up; what makes the Muc-Off Chain Optimization so special? 
It uses state-of-the-art ultrasonic tanks to give your chain a deep clean before applying either the Muc-Off Hydrodynamic or Ludicrous AF lube. These lubes are also applied using ultrasonic tanks for even deeper penetration, due to being heated at precise temperatures required to create the optimum viscosity for the lube to penetrate deep into all contact points within the chain links.

If you're curious about what the process includes, you can find more information at the link below from Muc-Off. And if you're eager to try it out, simply click on the link to find your closest retailer.

https://us.muc-off.com/pages/ultrasonic-chain-optimisation

https://bicycle-power-trading.aweb.page/p/3056ce0d-74db-44f3-998e-5e805fa0f154

Let's take your drivetrain to the next level!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/2/2023 at 11:37 AM, avatar said:

So to hot melt wax a chain, to start off with, the chain needs to be cleaner than clean. how do you get it that clean if you dont have an ultrasonic bath? 

This cleaner than clean thing is a bit of a fallacy. If it’s a new chain just give a wipe down with alcohol. You basically just want to ge Reid of excess lube. Once done dip it in the melted wax and give it a swirl with some tongs. The melted wax will heat up the lube that’s on the chain already. Any additive left behind is desirable anyway so don’t fret it. 

if it’s a used chain you want to get rid of dirt that could be inside. Cleaning in a ln ultra sonic cleaner isn’t a bad thing as it will get that dirt out but there are other ways ranging from cleaning with paraffin or diesel that will get the dirt out and aren’t as much of a hazard as petrol. Iso propyl alcohol is also a good cleaning agent but you’re not going to get all the hydrocarbon additive out so don’t fret that.

50 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

This cleaner than clean thing is a bit of a fallacy. If it’s a new chain just give a wipe down with alcohol. You basically just want to ge Reid of excess lube. Once done dip it in the melted wax and give it a swirl with some tongs. The melted wax will heat up the lube that’s on the chain already. Any additive left behind is desirable anyway so don’t fret it. 

if it’s a used chain you want to get rid of dirt that could be inside. Cleaning in a ln ultra sonic cleaner isn’t a bad thing as it will get that dirt out but there are other ways ranging from cleaning with paraffin or diesel that will get the dirt out and aren’t as much of a hazard as petrol. Iso propyl alcohol is also a good cleaning agent but you’re not going to get all the hydrocarbon additive out so don’t fret that.

I see squirt sent me a newsletter a few hours ago, in there they recommend

For Squirt Chain Lube to work optimally, it is especially important that the chain is properly degreased before initial application. All oils and/or factory grease must be removed in order for the wax to penetrate the pins and rollers of the chain.

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

From Experience If You Degrease Chains Squeaks Will Come and Chain will Not last Long.

Hot or Cold Wax can be Applied to A brand New Chain.

It Might Run a bit Dirty for One or Two Rides but it Will Settle Down.

Major Brands like Merida do Not Recommend any Form of Degreasing.

If you Store a Degreased Chain it will Rust Outside and Inside.

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I see squirt sent me a newsletter a few hours ago, in there they recommend

They all say that and they know nobody does. Does you mechanic degrease your engine whe conducting an oil change?😂

6 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

From Experience If You Degrease Chains Squeaks Will Come and Chain will Not last Long.

I’m on my 5th chain having endured 36,680.5km on my road bike. I degrease my chain and cassette often 2-3 times a month, depending on what conditions I’ve encountered on the road (sewerage being the worst). It might squeak every now and then, but 8000-9000km per chain is acceptable to me. I’m still on the same chainrings and cassette from day 1 (July 2015), with no shifting problems, and no shark tooth profiles either.

edit: just checked my component list, and it was 2015 I got the bike, not 2016.

Edited by Frosty

25 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I’m on my 5th chain having endured 36,680.5km on my road bike. I degrease my chain and cassette often 2-3 times a month, depending on what conditions I’ve encountered on the road (sewerage being the worst). It might squeak every now and then, but 8000-9000km per chain is acceptable to me. I’m still on the same chainrings and cassette from day 1 (July 2016), with no shifting problems, and no shark tooth profiles either.

Youre heavy on your chain. 🙂 I'm on 9000km on my Sram Eagle XX1 chain on my MTB..... I use only Squirt and to clean it I mostly hold the chain tightly in a damp microfibre cloth and run it through and lube and after every 4 rides or so scrub it with Pink Stuff and rinse with hose....

On my roadbike I ride Shimano 10 Speed Ultegra and have just gone to my second and a half chain in about 8 years or so....

Edited by love2fly

14 minutes ago, love2fly said:

You're heavy on your chain. 🙂 I'm on 9000km on my Sram Eagle XX1 chain on my MTB..... I use only Squirt and to clean it I mostly hold the chain tightly in a damp microfibre cloth and run it through and lube and after every 4 rides or so scrub it with Pink Stuff and rinse with hose....

On my roadbike I ride Shimano 10 Speed Ultegra and have just gone to my second and a half chain in about 8 years or so....

Probably, could be the degreaser (who knows), but the chain wear gauge doesn't lie... if it drops in, then replace.

11 hours ago, love2fly said:

Youre heavy on your chain. 🙂 I'm on 9000km on my Sram Eagle XX1 chain on my MTB..... I use only Squirt and to clean it I mostly hold the chain tightly in a damp microfibre cloth and run it through and lube and after every 4 rides or so scrub it with Pink Stuff and rinse with hose....

depends on the chain.

SRAM PC 1110, got about 5000km out the 2 I tried.

Current KMC X11 is on 7000km and the chain wear tool doesnt show any signs of wanting to drop in.

On my second 11 speed cassette in 20 000km, big chainring has been a little noisy lately, closer inspection shows shark teeth starting to form. But I recon i could easily get another 5-10 000km out it.

I've been waxing my squeaky bits for years now, So quiet. So clean.

Candle wax, parafin, a pot, a stove, and a fire extinguisher on standby.

I first soak the chain in really hot water and then give it a wash before putting it into the wax. Keeps the wax clean.

I keep a few bees on the side but I haven't tried beeswax (as recommended by someone earlier). If anyone is interested in trying, I am happy to sell any excess beeswax I have. Ryan: 076 664 4916.

You can use any Fat to Lube Your Chain

Beeswax Runs Dirty. Maybe due to Some Honey Content.

I used Real Beeswax from a Swarm that Attached itself to my House Then Left Leaving the Combs Behind.

Only Tried it Once.

Squirt can be used to Dip Chain at room Temperature.

It's Very Effective and can be Re-used.

Expensive Though but Results are Excellent.

1 hour ago, Hackster said:

If anyone in CT needs isopropanol aka isopropanyl for degreasing their chains, DM me. R50 per litre or less for bulk.

In Other Areas Dischem Has it for R56.95 for 500ml Its called Rubbing Alcohol 70%

Dis-Chem Rubbing Alcohol 500ml | Dis-Chem (dischem.co.za)

It does not actually Degrease the Chain It is used to Surface Clean the Chain Prior to Hot Waxing.

1 hour ago, Hackster said:

If anyone in CT needs isopropanol aka isopropanyl for degreasing their chains, DM me. R50 per litre or less for bulk.

% IPA and H2O?

my stuff is undiluted, 100% alcohol. You can dilute it easily with water, I use a 50/50 mix for general cleaning but for dirty greasy chains I would imagine you'd use it undiluted or 80 - 90%.