UCI DH World Cup 2020 - 2021 Season

Hairy

There is no doubt that local i.e SA riders are at a massive disadvantage compared to their overseas counterparts, even more so the weaker the Rand gets. I agree that the stats don't always follow eg Canada's relative lack of top riders, but it certainly plays out when it comes to UK and French racers.

The UK riders can easily migrate to the PDS for a long weekend and the same goes for the guys from the South of France. Its a cheap holiday for them.

The MTB culture in SA  is also the polar opposite of Euro and US where dh/enduro rule, not dirt roadie marathons. 

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skills to do that, but aren't roll-offs better (no plastic on the trail) ?

Ja tearoffs are a problem.

Roll offs are great until the aren't. Sometimes a bit of water gets between the roll off and the goggle lens which REAAAALLLLYYY screws with your vision. Also you can have a situation where the roll off refuses to slide on the lens. They are not a perfect solution AT ALL!

Tears offs come in laminated packs of 7 but guys like GM will probably have maybe 2 tearoffs that they'll know exactly where they will pull.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

The UK riders can easily migrate to the PDS for a long weekend and the same goes for the guys from the South of France. Its a cheap holiday for them.

For sure.

I once chatted to a Scottish guy on the lift and he reckoned he had bought a weekly all in package for 300 quid. That's ALL IN. Flights, accommodation, 2 meals, lift passes. For a week. The only thing he needed to spend money on in the PDS was beer.

There's also at least 200 fast poms who spend the summer there making beds and scrubbing toilets and bumming lifts to the odd race in the hopes of making it.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

One of the biggest issues we have here is financial mentorship or government funded (or any type of funded) programs that identify talent and nurtures it.

In Aus they have a central team which identifies young (talking 10 to 16) kids at various stages in their development and has a central coaching structure that they report to.

It's rugby, cricket, swimming, BMX, surfing etc.... 

These guys are looked after, trained, coached and every opportunity is presented for them to achieve and thus, represent Australia well.

We are such a broken country that talent is recognised by schools, poached and then discarded into a club or non structured system that has no funding and no direction once they hit 18/19. 

This is the critical time in their lives as athletes and there is almost nothing and nowhere to go.

The rugby players either get a pro contract with a union that is probably going under anyway, the cricketers are lucky to get a B level contract with a un ion that is definitely going bankrupt and all other sports become self funded and self managed.

It take an exceptional person from an exceptional family to make it in any outlying sport in this country. 

One of the biggest issues we have here is financial mentorship or government funded (or any type of funded) programs that identify talent and nurtures it.

In Aus they have a central team which identifies young (talking 10 to 16) kids at various stages in their development and has a central coaching structure that they report to.

It's rugby, cricket, swimming, BMX, surfing etc.... 

These guys are looked after, trained, coached and every opportunity is presented for them to achieve and thus, represent Australia well.

We are such a broken country that talent is recognised by schools, poached and then discarded into a club or non structured system that has no funding and no direction once they hit 18/19. 

This is the critical time in their lives as athletes and there is almost nothing and nowhere to go.

The rugby players either get a pro contract with a union that is probably going under anyway, the cricketers are lucky to get a B level contract with a un ion that is definitely going bankrupt and all other sports become self funded and self managed.

It take an exceptional person from an exceptional family to make it in any outlying sport in this country.

Agreed. Makes those few from SA who make it to the top of their game on a world level even more impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Loris Vergier leaving the Santa Cruz Syndicate:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/loris-vergier-parts-ways-with-the-syndicate-for-2021.html

Not sure where he's going to.

Since Danny Hart is no longer with Saracen, maybe there's a chance he could take Loris place? I think it could be cool :)

I recon the youngster Jamie will take his place.

Where would a Frenchie go ... Commencal or Spaz to ride with Bruni?

Loris Trekking to the new world?

Probably not related, but Emily Batty is leaving Trek.

Luca Shaw is dating Emily though.