Thanks Warren , but it seems lost

Allrounder

So either I went blind, or the second best fred was taken down. 

Thanks to Warren and the other authors for all your time and my entertainment. 

Cheers. 

AR

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it was just the easiest way to keep her happy. I see some some comments on her post saying that they only apologizing to her, what about all the other ladies that were featured.

I agree with censoring/deleting offending posts/comments, sometimes people need to be brought into check, but I dont agree to the blanket censoring/deleting entire threads.

Hi all, 

You pre-empted a more official announcement from us on this, but here's some initial feedback and clarity on the matter. 

Lady Pros thread has been removed
On Saturday we became aware of some plainly nasty comments within the Lady Pros thread in relation to a photo posted of a professional female rider. 

It prompted us to immediately review the comment and the contents of the thread in general. We quickly questioned why and how it was allowed in the first place. We had turned a blind eye to the activity within it and despite discomfort in knowing it existed had foolishly allowed it to continue.

No matter how anyone tries to frame it, the thread created a platform for objectification and the distasteful and hurtful commentary which often accompanied it. It is too often excused as so called “locker room banter”, but there is no excuse or justification for an environment which fosters such behaviour. 

We won't be allowing threads or content of this nature on Bike Hub going forward.

More broadly we are in the process of reviewing our policies and their application across the forums.

Matt

Hi all, 

You pre-empted a more official announcement from us on this, but here's some initial feedback and clarity on the matter. 

On Saturday we became aware of some plainly nasty comments within the Lady Pros thread in relation to a photo posted of a professional female rider. 

It prompted us to immediately review the comment and the contents of the thread in general. We quickly questioned why and how it was allowed in the first place. We had turned a blind eye to the activity within it and despite discomfort in knowing it existed had foolishly allowed it to continue.

No matter how anyone tries to frame it, the thread created a platform for objectification and the distasteful and hurtful commentary which often accompanied it. It is too often excused as so called “locker room banter”, but there is no excuse or justification for an environment which fosters such behaviour. 

We won't be allowing threads or content of this nature on Bike Hub going forward.

More broadly we are in the process of reviewing our policies and their application across the forums.

Matt

Thanks Matt. Has the person who made that comment been given a warning of sorts?

Although I agree with the reasons for pulling the thread, and all it's associated with, I have to ask the question which is probably going to end up getting me flogged,

Why would a lady take a pic of herself wearing a sometimes skimpy bikini, and then post it on social media? Knowing full well that men are creatures who are stimulated by the visual cues that meet their daily gaze, and that this is most likely going to end up in a situation where comments are made, for the most part it could even be construed as locker room banter.

I am not condoning either side, only curios to know what possible line of thinking is being held? In the society of today, I know that women get objectified, and it is wrong, and women should be allowed to feel comfortable in what they wear, but surely for the sake of modesty, one has to draw a line at being responsible for what you allow out on the uncontrollable web of oneself?

In saying this, Imogen has every right to defend her modesty, and I applaud her courage to take this fight on headlong. I wish her well in this.

And finally, I have a daughter, and I will raise her to be modest, and not to flaunt her body all over the web, no matter her reasoning as to why she thinks it a good idea, or what her justifications are. I will raise her to know that there are sexual predators out there who feast on images of girls on the net, and ultimately it is up to her to protect her own body and person.

Why would a lady take a pic of herself wearing a sometimes skimpy bikini, and then post it on social media? Knowing full well that men are creatures who are stimulated by the visual cues that meet their daily gaze, and that this is most likely going to end up in a situation where comments are made, for the most part it could even be construed as locker room banter.

For the exact reason you are thinking, it gets attention.

My wife has a friend who is a hectic feminist and yet she loves to put up pics of herself wearing as little as possible because she loves the attention it gets her.

She then proceeds to complain about guys sending her messages after they see her pics.

Its a very different situation where its a pic of someone doing something in a bikini and they are in a picture vs putting up a pic where the bikini and body is the obvious focus of the pic.

I agree with censoring/deleting offending posts/comments, sometimes people need to be brought into check, but I dont agree to the blanket censoring/deleting entire threads.

Its justified in this case though, its the same as the thread that it replaced really.

Those kinds of threads affect search engine ratings and advertiser confidence which is required to run a site like this.

Honestly anyone can google pics themselves if that is what they want to look at.

Although I agree with the reasons for pulling the thread, and all it's associated with, I have to ask the question which is probably going to end up getting me flogged,

I am not condoning either side, only curios to know what possible line of thinking is being held? In the society of today, I know that women get objectified, and it is wrong, and women should be allowed to feel comfortable in what they wear, but surely for the sake of modesty, one has to draw a line at being responsible for what you allow out on the uncontrollable web of oneself?

In saying this, Imogen has every right to defend her modesty, and I applaud her courage to take this fight on headlong. I wish her well in this.

And finally, I have a daughter, and I will raise her to be modest, and not to flaunt her body all over the web, no matter her reasoning as to why she thinks it a good idea, or what her justifications are. I will raise her to know that there are sexual predators out there who feast on images of girls on the net, and ultimately it is up to her to protect her own body and person.

I was wondering the same thing. From her comment on insta it seems the remark about her looking like a dog is what actually upset her. I wonder if all the comments were about how beautiful she was if there would've been any issue at all?

The problem lies in the responses to those posts / pictures. There's no blame that can be apportioned to the poster of those pics. The blame for the response lies squarely at the feet of those who respond in a sinister / sexist / crass / offensive manner. 

One should not have to worry about creepers sliding into DM's or commenting on their pics in a lewd / unsavoury manner, or calling them a "dog".

As for why one would want to. Why the hell not? It's up to the person themselves to decide what to post. They cannot be held responsible for the reaction that a few socially inept people have when they see pics. Regardless of the state of dress. 

As for why people post pics of themselves online... for some it's a revenue stream, for others it's a contractual obligation (in terms of sponsor airtime etc) for others it's a way to receive positive affirmation. There are other reasons as well, but no reason warrants a response such as the one highlighted. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Hi all, 

Matt

What action was taken against the tjop that made that comment?

Its justified in this case though, its the same as the thread that it replaced really.

Those kinds of threads affect search engine ratings and advertiser confidence which is required to run a site like this.

Honestly anyone can google pics themselves if that is what they want to look at.

I had a long post typed up, ready for the final touches before I hit send but got interrupted and then somehow lost it.

Basically what it boiled down to.

Its not the content of the thread that upsets me being deleted, its the way we as members are treated in regards to the situation.

Admin has admitted to not being ontop of the thread. They have their reasons, they dont need to justify them as they are not under question here. But in my opinion simply deleting the entire thread and not even leaving a note to say "stuff hit the fan, thread deleted, admin will issue a proper response in due course" is not cool.

People will push boundaries, if left unchecked those boundaries will be pushed even further, my opinion is this was an over reaction.