2020 Tour of Good Hope

FootballingCyclist

So you figure out the guy is not in the best of form, what are you going to do, train less? Surely your training is based on your own "profile" & goals.

Again, I would also not take chances if I was a pro. But I can't imagine there is amazing things to be gained by seeing a competitor's power output on a Strava segment.

The margins are so so so slim at the highest level

Any information, knowledge or insight into rivals are useful

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a noob to cycling so that's a disclaimer to the following bit it does seem to me that this ultra scientific approach can make tje racing a little dry and clinical. Isn't there something to be said for not knowing how much power you can hold and for how long or not knowing your adversaries strength relative to your own? Couldn't that make it even more exciting?

When your monthly paycheck depends on your ability to beat another person, then you try the least exciting, most effective route.

I'm a noob to cycling so that's a disclaimer to the following bit it does seem to me that this ultra scientific approach can make tje racing a little dry and clinical. Isn't there something to be said for not knowing how much power you can hold and for how long or not knowing your adversaries strength relative to your own? Couldn't that make it even more exciting?

In cross winds and cobbles, no amount of staring at power or watching numbers is going to help. Think that’s why classics are so exciting.

It’s not just a numbers game

It's interesting because, all environmental factors excluded, knowing the bike, rider weight and power profile, we should be able to mathematically model most races - predict the best time for attacks, behind which domestique a leader should hide .....

No?

In cross winds and cobbles, no amount of staring at power or watching numbers is going to help. Think that’s why classics are so exciting.

It’s not just a numbers game

It's interesting because, all environmental factors excluded, knowing the bike, rider weight and power profile, we should be able to mathematically model most races - predict the best time for attacks, behind which domestique a leader should hide .....

No?

I suppose so. Look at how accurate zwift is. There are a ton of guys who have 'raced' themselves up various hills using power as an effort indicator and the results are usually within a few seconds of each other.

The one thing we can't really predict though is conditions. Look at world champs last year. I don't think any amount of data crunching could have got you to that result.

One thing it can do is prepare teams for attacks. So they can analyse data and 'predict' that JA likes a certain type of climb/descent combo and can then get a rider up the road early and 2 at the front to mark the move that will probably come.

The differences in the top pro's is so small, so winning usually comes down to racing plans, racing instinct and how the body feels on the day and reacts to the conditions.

Some guys love a tough, cold day out, gritting teeth and cutting shirts with pointy nips, while others love the wind etc...

As plonkers, we still imagine the pro's are like us and our mates. They aren't at all. There are very few who are significantly fitter/faster/stronger than the others. Tiny things like buying cheaper, outside cuts of the energy bars at cost, maybe stress or anxiety, pressure, someones kid being ill etc make a huge difference to results and performance.

So I think yes, that data can help in the race prep, but ultimately every pro is training to be the best THEY can be, so to them their data and their peaks are more important than being able to make educated guesses as to their rivals.

No?

Works on climbs, less factors. 

On cobbles, wind, rain and crashes you can model nothing. 

Matt Hayman PR comes to mind, if you had R1000 on him to win you could have retired.

No?

predictions are basically educated guesses and those can have a large error or a small one. also known as "confidence".

When Zwift models a riders speed it makes assumptions on your aero-profile. This is a fairly big assumption with lo confidence.

So with a riders mass and power profile you can make good educated guesses but it can't predict things like desire to win, energy levels, state of rest. There's a whole list in intangibles that need to be assumed. Some are incremental and others are non linear. So at best its will tell you...."sos and so is fit or sos and so is not fit" but beyond that its still guess work

No?

think of all the variables the road gives us. surface, wind, heat... that's why there's racing, be it on 2 wheels or 4. on land, in the air or in the water... heck, i guess that goes for all competition... it's all about those momentary decisions.

Saw that Devin Shortt won today's stage. This is awesome to see, really have enjoyed watching his career!

Well done to all the finishers at the TOGH2020.

In my opinion one of the best we had! Trafiic and routes were awesome. Weather played along nicely, except for some of the heat on the last stage.

See you guys next year!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well done to all the finishers at the TOGH2020.

In my opinion one of the best we had! Trafiic and routes were awesome. Weather played along nicely, except for some of the heat on the last stage.

See you guys next year!

i doubt if there will be a tour in 2021 even if there is no covid issue.