Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody please send this link to Cyril before his speech tonight.... Would love to see cycling allowed during the "Relaxed Lockdown" phase we will go into next. I suspect commuting to work will become more popular.

I usually find it on YouTube as a live event. Sometimes I have to search, using Ramaphosa or COVID-19 South Africa.

So.... I had a mini breakthrough last night.

I fiiiiiiinally figured out how to connect my HRM to my Zwift. I've tried everything to prevent any bluetooth interference. 

putting my suunto downstairs

switching my suunto off completely

switching my phone off completely

etc etc etc

Every now and then it miraculously works but I generally have to run my gps head unit on the bike to get my heart rate. Not a big deal but I'm paying a premium for these toys and they really should work.

Anyway yesterday I finally figured it out. In this order.

1. Put the HRM on. make sure it's operating. Mine has little flashing LED's

2. Open zwift.

3. Make sure Zwift picks up the HRM and make sure it's getting your heart rate.

4. THEN power up the smart trainer.

I do suspect these issues are more to do with my laptop's dodgy bluetooth than the app or the smart trainer.

Watch it not work tonight.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I bloody can't wait to drop D batch at the first sportif. Take that mofos. WAHOOOO I'm gonna scream as I kickr some D butt.

I can vouch for this - after a lengthy winter of indoor training (almost 100% of the time on Zwift), when I go out for ride now I can feel a noticeable difference in my cadence. It is higher and more consistent, and I find myself free-wheeling less as I fatigue slower, and am just so used to pedaling all the time

I bloody can't wait to drop D batch at the first sportif. Take that mofos. WAHOOOO I'm gonna scream as I kickr some D butt.

You think they've been chilling on the couch?

Hmmm ... I hadn't thought of that.

You think they've been chilling on the couch?

So.... I had a mini breakthrough last night.

I fiiiiiiinally figured out how to connect my HRM to my Zwift. I've tried everything to prevent any bluetooth interference. 

putting my suunto downstairs

switching my suunto off completely

switching my phone off completely

etc etc etc

Every now and then it miraculously works but I generally have to run my gps head unit on the bike to get my heart rate. Not a big deal but I'm paying a premium for these toys and they really should work.

Anyway yesterday I finally figured it out. In this order.

1. Put the HRM on. make sure it's operating. Mine has little flashing LED's

2. Open zwift.

3. Make sure Zwift picks up the HRM and make sure it's getting your heart rate.

4. THEN power up the smart trainer.

I do suspect these issues are more to do with my laptop's dodgy bluetooth than the app or the smart trainer.

Watch it not work tonight.

I have endomondo picking up mine and not. Discovered that if the gps is on, then it picks up immediately. I can switch GPS off afterwards and it will still work. Not sure if this helps, or if you need to use gps with your device.

I have endomondo picking up mine and not. Discovered that if the gps is on, then it picks up immediately. I can switch GPS off afterwards and it will still work. Not sure if this helps, or if you need to use gps with your device.

Thanks

I had the same on Rouvy. I'd start an activity on my watch and then Rouvy would find my HRM and then I'd stop the activity on my watch.

I'll test my theory again tonight and see.