Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Not to your question, but its also really besides the point for me.

You're not supposed to be outside. Fullstop. End.

The fact someone lives in the sticks alone has nothing to do with anything. I don't know why we always have to try bend the rules to suit ourselves - rules is rules.

So this is not allowed?

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is not allowed?

I find myself conflicted on this one.

On the one hand, in the spirit of the law, part of the reason for restriction of exercise was to prevent load on the health system so in spirit, it would also apply to exercise within one's own garden or property, due to the associated risk and so on. So in that case I'd argue that it was illegal on that side (or at the very least irresponsible)

On the other hand, if I had massive tracts of farmland or forest or gravel or whatever in my back garden, I sure as hell would back myself according to the LETTER of the law, and exercise in my own damn property, thank you very much. 

Logically, we can all say what we would do in the same situation. Which one of us hasn't carried on training while cooped up inside, even without a garden? I consider my friends as bloody priveleged to be able to have a garden to exercise in (let alone a bloody farm or forest! Envious I am, indeed) and they should be able to use it as much as they want to. 

However, in going down that avenue I feel myself starting to think more and more of the spirit of the law, and think to myself "well, I'd exercise, but be responsible about it. Reduce the risk. Ride / run / whatever, but don't be a hero"

At least, that's what I think I'd do... I dunno. I suppose a little nuance is needed in this world of black and white. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

On the one hand, in the spirit of the law, part of the reason for restriction of exercise was to prevent load on the health system so in spirit, it would also apply to exercise within one's own garden or property, due to the associated risk and so on. So in that case I'd argue that it was illegal on that side (or at the very least irresponsible)

On the other hand, if I had massive tracts of farmland or forest or gravel or whatever in my back garden, I sure as hell would back myself according to the LETTER of the law, and exercise in my own damn property, thank you very much.

Logically, we can all say what we would do in the same situation. Which one of us hasn't carried on training while cooped up inside, even without a garden? I consider my friends as bloody priveleged to be able to have a garden to exercise in (let alone a bloody farm or forest! Envious I am, indeed) and they should be able to use it as much as they want to.

However, in going down that avenue I feel myself starting to think more and more of the spirit of the law, and think to myself "well, I'd exercise, but be responsible about it. Reduce the risk. Ride / run / whatever, but don't be a hero"

At least, that's what I think I'd do... I dunno. I suppose a little nuance is needed in this world of black and white.

By that token best no DIY, no cleaning, no cooking, no shaving/bathing/showering/lawn mowing and so on .... In fact lie on the couch eating snacks out of packets just in case of some kind of injury [emoji12]

Are they healthy snacks? Low cholesterol, low risk - and don't choke on the packet!!!

I for one plan on being a lot more cautious --- open the hairdressers ....hmmm ... I look like Sasquatch and I do like going for a bit of a groom when I get like this BUT .... go to such a public place where loads of people go .... or run a number 2 and take all the jokes about convicts and egg head that will inevitably ensue?

Personal risk management strategies....

By that token best no DIY, no cleaning, no cooking, no shaving/bathing/showering/lawn mowing and so on .... In fact lie on the couch eating snacks out of packets just in case of some kind of injury [emoji12]

Can somebody please send this link to Cyril before his speech tonight.... Would love to see cycling allowed during the "Relaxed Lockdown" phase we will go into next. I suspect commuting to work will become more popular.

https://youtu.be/WwFinsLZMQI

Pretty common knowledge that exercise ends in less hospital visits than no exercise, discovery health will have the data on that.

SO how many hospitalized crashes do you have in your friend circle in the past....say.....4 months?

ONE on my side.  

Cyclist don't crash on a daily basis and taking up hospital beds are not a thing.

Just my 2c

I have seen 3 spinal fractures this month in cyclists... fortunately all relatively minor - but 2 required some surgical intervention....

All these videos of garden tracks and obstacles lead people to do things they don't have skills for.

I have seen 3 spinal fractures this month in cyclists... fortunately all relatively minor - but 2 required some surgical intervention....

All these videos of garden tracks and obstacles lead people to do things they don't have skills for.

Like their video editing

I could have worded my request better. I meant to say that we need to inform Cyril that cycling for exercise and transport is encouraged by the WHO, that way he can authorise it in his speech tonight.

But thanks for the link anyways.

Sorry, read your request as, “can someone send the link, not this link”. [emoji4]

Replying in a rush.

I will not pretend I didn't laugh uncontrollably... That was great

Best unintentional lighthearted funny moment in ages,brilliant ????????....I was laughing ???? at my wife and son who were crying with laughter .

And am sure he said exercise at the end ????????