Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

The "endurance" group rides on Zwift are lekker when there's a few hundred people. I did a 160km on Saturday and then an extra 20km to get to Maluti distance. It gets tough after about 2.5 hours, the butt and mind start to take a hammering but if you can push then then its good.

First 2 weeks of lockdown I did alot of races on Zwift.

Last week was just more fun riding.

Today I started climbing, did Road to Sky-Alpe du Zwift this morning. Will try another long climb tomorrow.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who has been limited to one hour (lower intensity) rides the past six months, I think I can provide a bit of insight here:

rF2qDDj.jpg

Prior to Point 1 there was epic laziness and just work-work-work, hence the lack of activity, and between 1 and 2 I was traveling, and at Point 3 I had the unfortunate pleasure of breaking my hip and elbow, which then starts the 6 months period.

So between points 3 and 4 I was bedridden, not allowed to do anything, and within the first two weeks my leg muscles had shrunk by 30% I'd say. 

Point 4 is about 3 weeks after the accident, where the doctor said I could start with some no-resistance pedaling, every second day. About a week-and-a-half after that I started adding resistance as it was bloody boring. 

Two rides prior to Point 5 (6 weeks after injury), my doctor gave me a good scolding, as the X-Rays showed that the hip was still fractured. Told me to calm down. Then I had a couple of easier rides, and it was December holidays between Points 5 and 6. After Point 6 I had further X-Rays and the fracture had joined, but was not healed, but I could start adding more resistance, which I immediately did, and rode an hour every single day - until at Point 7, infection landed me in hospital for 3 nights, where again the doctor told me to take it easier.

So from Point 8, I started focusing more on my physio, and alternated days between cycling and rehab, until the physio said that I'm not progressing fast enough, and should stick to physio for a week or two.

At Point 9 (5 months post injury, clear X-Rays) I moved on to the biokineticst, where we measured a 30% power difference between the left and right legs, and since then I've only been doing strengthening exercises and I've ignored cycling completely.

So in summary, having started from zero, an hour each day (I followed an FTP Builder plan on Zwift) really boosted my fitness quickly, but also generated long term fatigue. An hour every second day maintained fitness levels pretty well, but nothing beats a day (or two hours) out on the bike, as the two spikes just prior to point 9 indicate. 

Yesterday while digging the pump track a lady came jogging past. While I was throwing soil I just heard my 3year old pipe up loudly : "Pappa, daai tannie draf buite, sy is stout!"

I replied with: "ja my skat, sy mag nie buite draf nie."

Baby face:"Ja sy moet in haar huis draf."

A couple of minutes later she came past again, and my daughter once again piped up loudly enough that I'm sure she heard:

"Pappa, daar draf die stoute tannie weer, sy moet gepiets word."

I nearly dropped the spade on my foot from laughing.

Something for the Alternative Rock crowd... Got me through the worst of my Ramp Test yesterday, the beat synced with my cadence perfectly.

ROAD TO REVOLUTION is on par with their Live In Texas album.

I am scared for life...is that actually music ?

My numbers are looking superb from all the indoor. 

No structure, just riding to have the most "fun" on the trainer. I challenge myself every now and again, but also take it easy when I need to.

Slowbee, you know better than to question a man's music and/or religion and what follows!!! hahaha

I was never a Linkin Park fan, it's not punk or metal enough....

Linkin Park was revolutionary, combining many genres into their music, and managing very successfully to take it mainstream.

Looking at the lyrics of some of their songs, Chester's depression came shining through. although at that stage it was probably ringing true to a lot of their fans.

I agree, that Live and Texas, and Road to Revolution were both stellar performances.

Do yourself a favour and listen to the words. And then all the different methods they (LP) have used over the years. And then listen to some of Chester's normal singing... 

But yes, it's actually music. Good music... 

My numbers are looking superb from all the indoor.

No structure, just riding to have the most "fun" on the trainer. I challenge myself every now and again, but also take it easy when I need to.

Besides having no idea about my numbers (or rather haven't bother to look) I'm doing pretty much the same ... If I can just keep going till I can ride outside again I'll be happy!

What happened to Chester?

I saw them live. What a band!!

Noted for the next ramp test. LP Live in Texas.

RIP Chester.

Have a look at intervals.icu.

Connect your strava and it will show you exactly where your form etc is.

I am in my 4th week now of a Sufferfest training program.

Longest ride has been a 2 hours endurance ride but on Zwift but I will have to go up to at least 3 hours this weekend.

Fitness steadily increasing and FTP also up by 25 after a hard 40 minute race on Zwift.

I did a lap around the house this weekend. It's 80m but can only do around 9km/h. Not really keen on riding for 3hours and only doing 27km.

Edited by Escapee..

Im doing my 2 X 1 hr sessions everyday without fail . I rode to Linkin Park yesterday and like the rock genres but im not a rap van but got through those pieces by spinning hard . By chance i came across   Scorpions ( German Rock Band ) They were playing at a stadium in Rio de Janeiro and that stadium was packed 350,000 people which ,makes for a good vibe and noise to train to . Im always amused at how those camera men can find the real party goers and especially the pretty woman that they bring up real close . Aerosmith was next and they were good as well . Now you know my kind of music as long as its a live concert please make more suggestions we still have 10 days to go ( hopefully )