"Dumb" Stationary trainer experience sharing.

So, my trainer tyre decided to give up the ghost, brilliant timing... What kind of wear will a normal tyre take? I've also read about issues of excessive noise levels with normal tyres?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Garmin GSC 10 Speed and Cadence sensors with bike on rollers.  Linked up with Zwift (rollers selected) and simultaneously recording to Garmin watch via ANT+ channels. 

Garmin is recording eg ave 17 Km/h but Zwift only ~4 km/h.  Is it what it is, with no power as input measurement?  What are others seeing with only speed and cadence sensors on IDT / rollers?  (Granted - Zwift has not my MTB tyre size listed as an option so I selected the largest 700c I could get, IIRC it is 700c x 32.  This should not make this big difference in any case.  Also, I realise uphills and downhills could be 'problematic' with this setup, so I am choosing 'flat' courses.)

Tx

(Also playing with Rouvy - even more of a discrepancy as the virtual rider will just 'freeze' for minutes at times)

*On second thoughts can it maybe the FTP = 0 setting?  Will test this pm.

Edited by Pieter-za

Cadence i use have a tacx flow, and i use a normal road tyre.. One that was lying around in the garage... I dont hear any noise when training anymore.having said that i have never trained with a trainer tyre before so wont know if mines actually loud. Wear is minimal to be honest i ride every day even before lockdown...

Cadence i use have a tacx flow, and i use a normal road tyre.. One that was lying around in the garage... I dont hear any noise when training anymore.having said that i have never trained with a trainer tyre before so wont know if mines actually loud. Wear is minimal to be honest i ride every day even before lockdown...

That's good to know,thanks, I also have the Tacx flow. How about vibration? And I guess no bits of rubber coming off the tyre?

I went to go check now, its a schwalbe lugano thats on now. Like i sed i literally jst took a random old tyre lying around. Lol. With some of my other tyres ther was a bit of rubber coming off, but VERY LITTLE. with this current one which ive been using for 5 weeks strait, nuthn. Bt yea too re iterate i ride atleast 1h30m every day and that tyre is 90% like it was 5 weeks ago.

I've been using a Gatorskin for the last 4.5 years on my CycleOps SuperMagneto - it makes a noise, but nothing more the fan.

So, my trainer tyre decided to give up the ghost, brilliant timing... What kind of wear will a normal tyre take? I've also read about issues of excessive noise levels with normal tyres?

Check my first post... Use whatever tyre you like, but run a layer or two of electrical tape on the contact patch. It won't wear your tyre a bit.

I hadn't thought of doing that. Presumably tape on the roller would work as well and might be easier to apply?

Check my first post... Use whatever tyre you like, but run a layer or two of electrical tape on the contact patch. It won't wear your tyre a bit.

Hi, can you help with some advise here please.

I have Garmin speed and cadence sensor that works fine with the 520.  Also HRM.

I registered with Zwift (not yet the billing part), first on laptop and then on smartphone.

I cannot get these to pair with Zwift through Bluetooth.

Any tips, or do I need to get an ANT+ dongle?

I pretty much tried everything, including taking out and putting back battery to "waken sensors", phone is not on power saving mode, spinned fast and slow.

Would be nice to use Zwift at this time as anything over 45 minutes is "killing" me.

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA

I have a GARMIN 520 and have gone through this process

The 520 SPD/CAD & HRM are all Ant+ so connecting to any training app via Ipad / laptop or phone you will need and Ant+ dongle

On a laptop its the Ant+ / USB dongle

On the newer Ipad i never seen an Ant+ / Lightning dongle so I without this you would need to go the BT route and get BT+ SPD /CAD & HRM - Unless you are a smart trainer with BT connection - then it connects no problem but you still need a BT HRM.

I use Gen2 Ipad on TR with an ANT+ /30 pin dongle - works perfect.

I have tried the laptop builtin BT connection of 2 of my laptops - Zwift does'nt seem to work and when it does it drops the connection - On TR it seems to work seamlessly.

I recently setup a dumb trainer for someone on Zwift - Used a BT+ SPD /CAD sensor (bought at LBS for 500 ronds) with BT HRM connected to latest Ipad via built in BT connection - Works perfect

I hadn't thought of doing that. Presumably tape on the roller would work as well and might be easier to apply?

I wouldn't. You're trying to prevent the tyres slippage from abrading the rubber. It's not a problem of the contact between the two but the friction. So tape on the tyre means it slips and heats up rather than the rubber...

Using Garmin GSC 10 Speed and Cadence sensors with bike on rollers.  Linked up with Zwift (rollers selected) and simultaneously recording to Garmin watch via ANT+ channels. 

Garmin is recording eg ave 17 Km/h but Zwift only ~4 km/h.  Is it what it is, with no power as input measurement?  What are others seeing with only speed and cadence sensors on IDT / rollers?  (Granted - Zwift has not my MTB tyre size listed as an option so I selected the largest 700c I could get, IIRC it is 700c x 32.  This should not make this big difference in any case.  Also, I realise uphills and downhills could be 'problematic' with this setup, so I am choosing 'flat' courses.)

Tx

(Also playing with Rouvy - even more of a discrepancy as the virtual rider will just 'freeze' for minutes at times)

*On second thoughts can it maybe the FTP = 0 setting?  Will test this pm.

Zwift on the speed/cad sensor does virtual power based on what it thinks you are putting out at nominal to no resistance. Zwift also rides agains gradients so when you doing 17kph on your garmin and Zwift say 4kph you might just be heading up a hill virtually

I have a Stages Power meter and riding on a dumn trainer while recoding on my F6x and riding on Zwift. The 2 stats are way off from one another due to the "terrain" you ride in Zwift. 

I hit 30km on my Garmin then i have a varying 12-27km in Zwift. Depends on the terain

What I do is just post my Garmin only stats and just use Zwift for the social aspect / Training programs

Oh and PS. My wheel circumfrence in Garmin is set to 2189 (Maxis Crossmark 2 29x2.25). In your case it seem like the Speed/Cad sensors stop responding or recording and thats why you have a very low kph and standing still at times in game

Edited by MTB-More

Being forced to work from home and not being able to do my daily commute to work and back and a weekend longer ride, I dug out my 10+ years old RAVX indoor trainer. Cleaned it up and mounted my old Raleigh RC4500 on it.

Since I started using it, I realised that I have a lot to learn to make the best of what I have. What I have learned so far is:

• Keep a towel handy, you sweat a LOT! I am using a smallish one to wipe my head, neck and face.
  • A stationary trainer chows your tyre! I took the tyre off and put an older one on that still has enough tread on it, but was beginning to show small cracks on the sidewall. It should be fine for my purpose. I know a trainer specific tyre should be used, but that isn't an option at the moment.
  • Clean the "roller" after each ride. The roller becomes sticky from the tyre's rubber that wears off while riding, but very unevenly. This causes the wheel to slip while riding which can become quite annoying.
  • I am still undecided about listening to music while riding. Those that does it, isn't the earphones a nuisance? 
  • I moved the IDT outside, a bit of a draft outside and listening to the birds makes it a more pleasant experience than riding inside.

Any other tips and suggestions from those in a similar position would be appreciated. 

Way to go Jaco and welcome to the stationary cycling community!!

a few things I do. 

1) I do use a planned workout regimen. The focus gives me motivation and purpose when on the bike otherwise I'll just be doing Zone 2 rides for hours and hours (not a bad thing)

2) Some form of distraction is great. Allows the mind to focus on something. Be it Zwift, CycleGo, Fulgaz, rouvy, BKool, TACX Training App, Sufferfest, etc etc, or even just old Tour de France highlights packages on YouTube.

3) feed yourself as if you are riding on the road. Hydration is even more important because you will sweat more.

4) get a cooling fan even if using it outdoors

5) make sure your kids have activities. The intrigue and curiosity that they will direct at you can be distracting and frustrating while you're trying to get  a workout in.

6) make sure to clean your bike regularly. Due to more sweat falling onto it bearings, handlebars (especially under the bar tape will corrode faster. If the bike you're using is dedicated to the trainer then remove the bar tape and just tape some foam to the contact points, This is easier to remove and clean under then reattach.

7) lube that chain!!

Hi guys.

I used a " dumb" trainer before I upgraded to a smart trainer.

Anyway, I really struggled with a set training programme while on the dum trainer and lacked motivation to dig deep during these training programmes.

I tried to watch cycling clips and some indoor studio spinning classes, however I found the best option was from a Youtube channel CTXCvideos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPvjahSsyFcu8HG1tvqMZSA)

Like you're sitting in the brunch and then once you roll to the front your effort goes up. Great scenery too!

Used the perceived  effort based on your heart rate, but generally the best tool to use for a dumb indoor trainer.

For the ultimate in neighbour-hating tech, I recommend my current setup:

Aluminium rollers.

A mountain bike, with decent tread on the tyres.

Wind up 5 or 6 high intensity intervals, preferably 4-5 minutes long.

So loud! And I have been doing that for about 16 days now. Longest ride is 2h7 mins but the boredom began to really take over then.

Any advice on how to trim the noise below 100 decibels?

trim the tread blocks down with a side cutter. if you love the tyres well then....your neighbours will have to live with the noise.