"Dumb" Stationary trainer experience sharing.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the ultimate in neighbour-hating tech, I recommend my current setup:

Aluminium rollers.

A mountain bike, with decent tread on the tyres.

Wind up 5 or 6 high intensity intervals, preferably 4-5 minutes long.

So loud! And I have been doing that for about 16 days now. Longest ride is 2h7 mins but the boredom began to really take over then.

Any advice on how to trim the noise below 100 decibels?

Cut the knobs 

Head phones? Ear protectors?

Not sure if they are essential items and I would likely have to buy for my whole street.

Towels as mentioned and a large fan is a MUST!

TrainerRoad for structured programs and Zwift for riding with mates.

I listen to music when doing heavy sessions or various TV/YouTube when doing recovery rides.

I've done plenty indoor rides on my non-smart trainer.

PM is on the crank, so I need to think about the effort I'm putting in.

My trainer has served me (very) well since December 2015.

A Raleigh with Campag.  Give that man a Bells, sommer 'n dubbel!!!

Thanks! I put the Campagnolo groupset on it just before I made this bike available for my son to use. I also put on a Campag wheelset. Everything that was replaced I passed on to someone that builds up bikes for youth development.

Advice for a mtb tyre. I just turned an old mtb tyre inside out. I now have a slick that works perfectly on the IDT. Definitely a lot quieter.

Works with tube or tubeless.

Also great fun spinning on wet grass.????

Advice for a mtb tyre. I just turned an old mtb tyre inside out. I now have a slick that works perfectly on the IDT. Definitely a lot quieter.

Also great fun spinning on wet grass.

That's actually a pretty smart idea. I would imagine the internal casing isn't designed to be very wear resistant, but hey, if its an old tyre and you set it up right it should be good.

Also great fun spinning on wet grass.

Thats a good idea, i have to put the music load to drone out the noise from the tyre, watching a movie or season is not even an option

Being forced to work from home and not being able to do my daily commute to work and back and a weekend longer ride, I dug out my 10+ years old RAVX indoor trainer. Cleaned it up and mounted my old Raleigh RC4500 on it.

Since I started using it, I realised that I have a lot to learn to make the best of what I have. What I have learned so far is:

• Keep a towel handy, you sweat a LOT! I am using a smallish one to wipe my head, neck and face.
  • A stationary trainer chows your tyre! I took the tyre off and put an older one on that still has enough tread on it, but was beginning to show small cracks on the sidewall. It should be fine for my purpose. I know a trainer specific tyre should be used, but that isn't an option at the moment.
  • Clean the "roller" after each ride. The roller becomes sticky from the tyre's rubber that wears off while riding, but very unevenly. This causes the wheel to slip while riding which can become quite annoying.
  • I am still undecided about listening to music while riding. Those that does it, isn't the earphones a nuisance? 
  • I moved the IDT outside, a bit of a draft outside and listening to the birds makes it a more pleasant experience than riding inside.

Any other tips and suggestions from those in a similar position would be appreciated. 

daily turbo sessions...taken to adding an extra brick under the front wheel for a bit of fun...change position of the bike at times...its better than nothing at the moment...have fun

Question: do you guys use an electrolyte beverage or just water? 

Just concerned about the potential to lose alot of water through perspiration - also cognisant of sugar content in some of these products.

Game has come to mind as an option?

Mostly these are "discs" with adjustable magnets.  You move the magnet closer to the disc, and the resistance increase.

The "braking effort" results in LOTS of heat !!

Of there was dust on the system it will "smell" after the first ride.

I would not have thought that a magnetic brake would create that much heat since the surfaces do not touch .... thus no small particles dislodging, but it does seem that quite a significant amount of heat is generated.

... would be interesting to know what kind of heat builds up in the rims when using the new 4iiii Fliiiight trainer in an hour?

Wonder if it will not be more heat than a usual rim brake would cause on an extended downhill?

Interesting stuff ....  ;) 

post-20017-0-62125200-1587126178_thumb.jpg

Edited by EddieV

Question: do you guys use an electrolyte beverage or just water?

Just concerned about the potential to lose alot of water through perspiration - also cognisant of sugar content in some of these products.

Game has come to mind as an option?

Edited by Focusspeed1

Hi cadence was wondering the same thing... I do the game thing just 2 little scoops per 750ml bottle. I sweat lile crazy.... I think it helps... Even now and then i do biogen Electrolyte effervescents.

A question for the guys on Zwift.

I created a profile yesterday, and rode 3.x Km to test the connection and feel of the ride. I am in the 7 trial period, and it shows 25Km free.

Can I ride further than the 25Km?

I’d like to do a group ride tomorrow, to see/feel for myself if it worth paying for one month.