"Dumb" Stationary trainer experience sharing.

Don't know about Zwift but I use Rouvy on a Samsung S8 which supports ANT+ so I can use my Garmin sensors, in fact simultaneously on the App and my Garmin 820.

How do you set your phone up to pickup the ANT+ sensors.

I can't find it in the Samsung manuals

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaco just do a one month trial of ZWIFT.

That should should see you through lock-down ... hopefully !

After this try the other programs ... ALL have free trial periods .... this should see you through most of winter !!!

By then you will know IF it is worth it for YOU to pay a subscription for any of these ....

PS - you can cancel Zwift at any time.  And when you are ready it takes a few seconds to re-active.

I am happy to pay for Zwift during winter.  And in summer I have 25km free per month, just enough when I need a quick spin before my next outside ride.

Seeing I am new to all these training apps, how would I be able to use something like Swift for example on my non-Bluetooth or Ant+ enabled stationary trainer? I had a look at their website, but I only see stuff like the Wahoo Kickr.

Hi, can you help with some advise here please.

I have Garmin speed and cadence sensor that works fine with the 520.  Also HRM.

I registered with Zwift (not yet the billing part), first on laptop and then on smartphone.

I cannot get these to pair with Zwift through Bluetooth.

Any tips, or do I need to get an ANT+ dongle?

I pretty much tried everything, including taking out and putting back battery to "waken sensors", phone is not on power saving mode, spinned fast and slow.

Would be nice to use Zwift at this time as anything over 45 minutes is "killing" me.

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA

I'm on almost the same predicament and I am also keen on getting some answers regarding this.

Hi, can you help with some advise here please.

I have Garmin speed and cadence sensor that works fine with the 520.  Also HRM.

I registered with Zwift (not yet the billing part), first on laptop and then on smartphone.

I cannot get these to pair with Zwift through Bluetooth.

Any tips, or do I need to get an ANT+ dongle?

I pretty much tried everything, including taking out and putting back battery to "waken sensors", phone is not on power saving mode, spinned fast and slow.

Would be nice to use Zwift at this time as anything over 45 minutes is "killing" me.

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA

I also have the garmin speed and cadence sensor and a wahoo tickr hr monitor and they all pair with the zwift app on bluetooth, have you tried first installing garmin connect and pairing them with device?

Seeing I am new to all these training apps, how would I be able to use something like Swift for example on my non-Bluetooth or Ant+ enabled stationary trainer? I had a look at their website, but I only see stuff like the Wahoo Kickr.

Jaco I went the Kikr route, so not sure how to link the others ...

There are various threads about "Speed" and "Cadence" sensors, etc .... 

How do you set your phone up to pickup the ANT+ sensors.

I can't find it in the Samsung manuals

I never did anything special, installed the app and found the sensors .... Which Samsung do you have? Not sure that they all have ANT+

I also have the garmin speed and cadence sensor and a wahoo tickr hr monitor and they all pair with the zwift app on bluetooth, have you tried first installing garmin connect and pairing them with device?

Bluetooth connection - depends on the model/year sensor you have

Only the newer version of the Garmin speed/cadence sensor has Ant+ and BT

Older version is only Ant+

Similar challenge here. My 510 for the life of me, does not pick up the Wahoo speed and cadence sensors, but my Fenix 3 does.

I never did anything special, installed the app and found the sensors .... Which Samsung do you have? Not sure that they all have ANT+

S9 and SO has a 10+

Yea Swiss, also read up a bit and been doing some training on an empty stomach in the morning, then have my bowl of oats afta wards... Lost 4kgs so far. 83kg-79kg...

Maybe I should try that.... stuck on 84 - 85

A question for the guys on Zwift.

I created a profile yesterday, and rode 3.x Km to test the connection and feel of the ride. I am in the 7 trial period, and it shows 25Km free.

Can I ride further than the 25Km?

I’d like to do a group ride tomorrow, to see/feel for myself if it worth paying for one month.

IIRC it let me ride way more than 25km in the 7 day trail period.

While you are on the 7 day trail do a workout or 3 and see if you like those too.

I also managed to join a race longer than 25km while on the trial. It did not kick me out when it ran out, but let me finished the race anyway.

But unlimited km in the 7 days if I remember correctly, with 25km limit per month after that.

thanks, I’ll try as planned and move over to Rouvy if it stops at 25Km.

Happy to report back that I was able to ride for more than the free 25Km on Zwift today - ended up on 64Km on a 2:00 ride.

And I can now get HR data into my rides as the Apple Watch pairs with Zwift. I’m still a Rouvy fan because of the option to ride uploadable routes, but I found Zwift was easier to pass the time with the group ride.

I’ve paid for a one month subscription so I can get the best out of Zwift while in lockdown.

Thanks for the replies earlier.

Thanks Ben, I tried that and it worked pairing Garmin HR, speed and cadence sensors.

What happens now  to ride recording on a Garmin ?

Will both the phone running the app AND the headunit pick up the sensors and will I therefore be able to save and upload the ride to Garmin Connect so I can see it with my other rides recorded on Garmin ?

Thanks Ben, I tried that and it worked pairing Garmin HR, speed and cadence sensors.

What happens now to ride recording on a Garmin ?

Will both the phone running the app AND the headunit pick up the sensors and will I therefore be able to save and upload the ride to Garmin Connect so I can see it with my other rides recorded on Garmin ?

Are you on Rouvy or Zwift?

Zwift you can upload direct to Garmin Connect.

Rouvy, you need to download the FIT file from the Rouvy webpage, then upload it to Garmin Connect - then you will have the route details uploaded too.

If you just use your Garmin, then you won’t have the route data.

Edited by Frosty

What happens now to ride recording on a Garmin ?

You're welcome mate, glad it worked!

No problem running the Rouvy App and your Garmin paired to the same sensors at same time! I do it all the time.

You're welcome mate, glad it worked!

No problem running the Rouvy App and your Garmin paired to the same sensors at same time! I do it all the time.

Thx Bennie.

Off Topic: I hope that the Corona lockdown ends by then and we can meet up again at the SXSE in November. 

Thx Bennie.

Off Topic: I hope that the Corona lockdown ends by then and we can meet up again at the SXSE in November.

At the moment my Strava and Garmin stats are all over the place but I'm not worrying about it till this is finally over.

Would be great to see you there!