Wild Ride during Lockdown

T_Boss

Without giving out too many details here initially I would like to hear from the community what your feeling would be about joining a multi day MTB trip, doing small (no more than 6) guided group rides in a secure large game reserve. (The rides are guided because there are elephant rhino and buffalo on the reserve)

The trip would be 3 or 4 days long.

You will be accommodated in a lodge on the reserve, and catering would be included.

It’s about a 4.5 hour drive from JHB. Transport would be provided, with all relevant permits etc in place, and will be compliant with all the lockdown regulations.

Officially you will be volunteering your time to support the.conservation initiatives on the reserve. So some of the riding will be along the boundary fences, as fence patrols, looking for damage or breakages to report to the the maintenance teams. There will be ample time for other just for fun riding on the property too, and there will be oppertunity for walks/game drives etc,

Although it is a very vague interpretation of the regulations, everything is 100% legal and allowable during lockdown. However, here is where the question comes in, even with it being legal, would you be willing to participate in something like this.

1. You will be travelling in a group (albeit a small one)

2. You will be travelling across provincial boundaries.

Interested to hear if there would be interest in this.

And before I get flamed here, let me state: yes, this is taking advantage of a loophole in the regulations, but, there will be time spent doing fence line patrols, by bike. With the reserve operating on skeleton staff as well, this is something they do need help with. The money spent on the accommodation and the meals will also go a long way towards keeping the salaries of the staff paid and the doors open for after this lockdown is over. So there is real value being added through this “volunteering”

Based on the feeling of other members here, we will decide if we will give ahead with his, and can provide more details tomorrow

Also don't want to get dragged into an argument over this but I think you will attract some flack regardless if we consider the conversations in many of the other threads.

in my opinion the answer is already hidden in there:

"....Although it is a very vague interpretation of the regulations...

"...yes, this is taking advantage of a loophole in the regulations, but....."

Yes you could...but SHOULD you?

GL

I fully understand your motivation and your enterprising interpretation of the regulations.

I however would not do this. I have in my mind a fairly fluid and developing set of ideas about how I intend living in what I think will possibly be the coming years but certainly months and it does not include any close proximity group activities.

I wouldn't take on too much of the judgement your post is sure to elicit here. These regulations are hopelessly inadequate to the task whichnis mitigation of risk. They represent a poor compromise between epidemiology and economics spiced with a big dose of the despotic impulse. They are proscriptive instead of prescriptive and do nothing to help us live through and with this virus.

There should be a sociologist, an anthropologist , an historian and a social psychologist on the NCC. There are more moving parts here than money, medicine and military.

I have been dealing with similar suggestions within another group that I am part of, and after some discussion everyone quietly stepped down and agreed to remain locked down for the moment, much as we would all love to be out in the bush right now.

The interprovincial travel window has closed, so your temporary rangers will stick out like a sore thumb. They are going to have a whole lot of sports equipment with them, and hopefully no alcohol. To be compliant with the regulations they need to be employed by you and trained for their job. If you're luck this may pass muster initially, but this is not going to stand up to further scrutiny.

My understanding is that the military are manning the toll gates, and they are not necessarily the type to meekly accept your permit and wave you through. My suggestion is not to try to take them on.

I really wish a group could pull something like this off, and once it is done monitor the participants for 2/3 weeks and hopefully show zero infections. Just to show the government that social interaction and relative opening of the economy can happen without spreading corona.

But trying to run this past the SA military, I would not take a chance

I really wish a group could pull something like this off, and once it is done monitor the participants for 2/3 weeks and hopefully show zero infections. Just to show the government that social interaction and relative opening of the economy can happen without spreading corona.

But trying to run this past the SA military, I would not take a chance

Well, we are going to try and pull this off next weekend. So far it looks promising. I have also been in contact with a medical supplies company that can provide test kits at a reasonable cost, and we are considering making use of them to be extra safe.

Well, we are going to try and pull this off next weekend. So far it looks promising. I have also been in contact with a medical supplies company that can provide test kits at a reasonable cost, and we are considering making use of them to be extra safe.

I wish you success and congratulate you on being resourceful and enterprising!

May this weekend be a great success for you and your clients!

.............There should be a sociologist, an anthropologist , an historian and a social psychologist on the NCC. There are more moving parts here than money, medicine and military.

Very interesting thought that. I agree. It is almost like they make regulations from a position totally isolated from the human behaviour point of view. 

OMHO I see it as similar to getting a fake death certificate so you could visit the family in the Eastern Cape for the Easter weekend. I won't participate but rather save it for when it really is above board.

Does it include booze?

Travelling with a trailer full of bikes will already draw some attention, I’m not going to risk carting booze in the boot as well........but a plan may be made that a few beers find their way into the fridge at the lodge....

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures from our wild ride this past weekend

I've posted these pics to NDZ' twitter timeline, want her to realise people can have fun and play by the rules.

Booze, braais, bikes and views - what's not to like?