Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

What they all have in common - and we can add talking on the phone while driving without a handsfree - is the entitled attitude that says "I am the most important person here and the impact I have on anyone else is their problem"

I'm over it - I am barely able to tolerate it in ordinary circumstances but the prevalence of this attitude suggests to me that the covid threat just simply isn't big enough to make the 80 percent of people I saw on a 4 hour ride adjust their attitude and behaviour.

It's deeply offensive to the medical personnel in the hospitals and when you scratch the surface of it you get the **** you response that underpins the behaviour. And it is endemic in our country.

In fact while I'm on the topic - it's endemic in the over privileged white communities - the same clowns who post pictures of people outside some township or other breaking social distancing and tut tutting in thinly disguised racist commentary about the ignorance of the masses drop their masks like a harlot's panties as soon as they are vaguely out of breath on the climb or if there's an overpriced latte to be had.

Tell me to chill and breathe or mind my own business or activate the misguided opinion you have of yourself as some kind of maverick who can distinguish the sense from the nonsense in an academic article about particle dispersion patterns - whatever - 

It's a simple instruction - when outside of your home and exercising

Wear a mask

Just Imagine, a guy riding in the dark on a Spez Shiv without any lights, not wearing a mask and throwing a Gu wrapper on the ground

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... and there it is ... as if by magic it appears - cf my previous post and put your mask on when exercising you dolt ... do me that favour and every other person you encounter in the course of your day - just follow the rules.

To all the people moaning about masks, do yourself a favor, get in your car and go into the deep part of the squatter camps. I have been there this whole week and just realized again that we are busy with nothing. These people give a flying virus about covid 19. At one liquor store the rules are nicely put on the wall, no mask no entry with a mask to put on hanging on a hook. If you exit put it back for the next guy. There is no social distancing, children play in large groups in the street, many sit in groups playing dominoes and nobody wears a mask. According to the what we are told about this virus it should run through these settlements like a blaze.

There are either much more people around us infected, or there is some kind of immunity already. There is no way that the daily infection rate is anything to go by.

Wear a mask to protect yourself or stay at home.

Edited by Mamil

... and there it is ... as if by magic it appears - cf my previous post and put your mask on when exercising you dolt ... do me that favour and every other person you encounter in the course of your day - just follow the rules.

your soapbox moaning is really a bit tired now.  We know how to ride without masks here in jozi - we merely exercise alone, and avoid other ppl.  maybe you need to move from CT?

I've read your posts here pyga - not nearly as smart as you think --- doesn't bother me so long as you wear a mask. That's all

No not quite all - what your and every other respnse to this issue since this thread began does is defend the untenable position that masks are not necessary. Oh other countries --- oh --- the science doesn't say it ---- oh.. whatever -

Simple instruction - when outdoors wear a mask even when exercising

Oh the government this --- oh the squatter that --- oh chill mamil --- get off your soapbox

Idiots to a man.

your soapbox moaning is really a bit tired now.  We know how to ride without masks here in jozi - we merely exercise alone, and avoid other ppl.  maybe you need to move from CT?

Edited by Mamil

I saw numerous hikers (term used loosely) on the Cecilia part of the mountain today. Many not wearing face covering but the majority compliant. In groups and in close proximity to eachother. It was the first weekend that the mountain was open so the crowds were out. A big mistake going riding there today. I find it almost impossible to do a whole ride with face cover in place. It hinders breathing and I doubt it's very healthy doing hard exercise and breathing in your own CO2 for 2 hours. That said I remove mine when I'm alone and the trail is clear or when I take a drink and a break. Common sense is all that's required.

I've read your posts here pyga - not nearly as smart as you think --- doesn't bother me so long as you wear a mask. That's all

No not quite all - what your and every other respnse to this issue since this thread began does is defend the untenable position that masks are not necessary. Oh other countries --- oh --- the science doesn't say it ---- oh.. whatever -

Simple instruction - when outdoors wear a mask even when exercising

Oh the government this --- oh the squatter that --- oh chill mamil --- get off your soapbox

Idiots to a man.

the namecalling make you seem so much more convincing.  Hell, I may even go and buy a mask after that stirring word salad of righteous indignation!

I saw numerous hikers (term used loosely) on the Cecilia part of the mountain today. Many not wearing face covering but the majority compliant. In groups and in close proximity to eachother. It was the first weekend that the mountain was open so the crowds were out. A big mistake going riding there today. I find it almost impossible to do a whole ride with face cover in place. It hinders breathing and I doubt it's very healthy doing hard exercise and breathing in your own CO2 for 2 hours. That said I remove mine when I'm alone and the trail is clear or when I take a drink and a break. Common sense is all that's required.

oh HELL  no, you must OBEY the RULES!! mamil demands it!

To the 80 percent of you jokers who are not wearing masks while riding including the Savages who came down from Llandudno this morning a couple of questions

1. If you knew that the person in front of you was shedding viral particles into his slip with every breath would you want him to wear a mask if, as all evidence suggests, it diminished the number of distribution of those particles?

2. Would the likelihood of you wanting him to wear a mask increase if you had an immuno-compromised partner / child waiting for you at home

3. If you were unknowingly positive for Corona virus and shetting viral particles into your slipsteam and as evidence suggests, wearing a buff / mask reduced the number and distribution of those particles by some percentage who would need to be coming up behind you to make you put the ******* mask on?

After the 5th encounter that went like this 

Mamil : Please cover your face

Rider : **** off  or you **** or similar 

I stopped telling people to cover up.

honestly - **** YOU ALL and your selfish entitlement.

The only thing I'm more pissed off with than the South African government is the South African population.

seriously..... :rolleyes: .

Smoke a bong or arrest a surfer or stay at home.

Ah **** off the lot of you ... having been called all manner of things for politely saing please wear a mask followed by the usual litany of nonsense

It's nothing to do with what I say or my opinion it is simply what's required of you - wear a mask that's all.

Which argument or reasoned point of view is going to make it sink in? The endless rounds of pointing it out nicely so that you geniuses can apply your gargantuan intellects to the critical analysis of the research which overwhelmingly indicates that there is a risk mitigation effect that comes from following a simple instruction 

Wear a mask when outside

"Yes but .." "Oh who are you to tell me .." or ... wadda wadda wadda entitled nonsense.

Put it on - nothing to do with me or whether you think I'm an asshole or whether you actually are an asshole - 

Irrellevant

Edited by Mamil

Ah **** off the lot of you ... having been called all manner of things for politely saing please wear a mask followed by the usual litany of nonsense

It's nothing to do with what I say or my opinion it is simply what's required of you - wear a mask that's all.

Wear a mask when outside

"Yes but .." "Oh who are you to tell me .." or ... wadda wadda wadda

go eat a cookie - it seems your blood sugar is perilously low.  we'll give you a hug once you've gotten over yourself, i promise!

oh HELL  no, you must OBEY the RULES!! mamil demands it!

I wonder if he was the poor sod shouting "single file single file single file you ****whits, single file " on Chappies?

About a million people just smiled and waved while he continued with his really bad day

I wonder if he was the poor sod shouting "single file single file single file you ****whits, single file " on Chappies?

About a million people just smiled and waved while he continued with his really bad day

don't underestimate the motivational power of anger in propelling you to higher FTPs.  it's great mind-fuel.  and if today's rants are anything to go by, i reckon our friend did a 2h45 argus!

Pyga/DD, people have tried to engage with you in good faith, both of you have mostly responded nicely, but now you are both just being rude. Let’s all back off a bit.

Edited by Patchelicious

What they all have in common - and we can add talking on the phone while driving without a handsfree - is the entitled attitude that says "I am the most important person here and the impact I have on anyone else is their problem"

I'm over it - I am barely able to tolerate it in ordinary circumstances but the prevalence of this attitude suggests to me that the covid threat just simply isn't big enough to make the 80 percent of people I saw on a 4 hour ride adjust their attitude and behaviour.

It's deeply offensive to the medical personnel in the hospitals and when you scratch the surface of it you get the **** you response that underpins the behaviour. And it is endemic in our country.

In fact while I'm on the topic - it's endemic in the over privileged white communities - the same clowns who post pictures of people outside some township or other breaking social distancing and tut tutting in thinly disguised racist commentary about the ignorance of the masses drop their masks like a harlot's panties as soon as they are vaguely out of breath on the climb or if there's an overpriced latte to be had.

Tell me to chill and breathe or mind my own business or activate the misguided opinion you have of yourself as some kind of maverick who can distinguish the sense from the nonsense in an academic article about particle dispersion patterns - whatever -

It's a simple instruction - when outside of your home and exercising

Wear a mask

Believe me I know how you feel, but I have realized that I have to let go. Except the situation for what it is and live my life. The majority citizens is non compliant. Obviously I follow the regulations because I am a SAPS member and morally I have to practice what I preach and I do believe that wearing a mask will help but since I stopped losing my mind about other people I have peace in my heart. I have been affected directly by the virus with colleagues testing positive, 5 colleagues from neighboring stations died already. Believe me people don't care even after being arrested more than once. So yes I am going to say to you with respect....breath and relax and just avoid the morons, you will feel a hell of a lot better.