Formula Cura 2 vs Hope Tech 3 X2

Mtb2009

Interesting that the mineral oil would put you off. For most people who know the difference, they prefer mineral as it's non corrosive and better for the environment.

If you're wondering whether mineral oil will fade due to lower boiling point - just refer to Duane Bosch's post above. Karl Ebel is both a big and [very] fast DH rider and experienced no fade while riding in the Alps!

Each to their own though!

Only of you leave the stuff laying on surfaces for extended periods, wiping it off with alcohol solves the not-problem

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the same set of X2's for probably 10 years, bled the rears once after a crash filed the screw head down on the cap (it was still sealed) but I changed it out and bled it while I was there! 

Preference has nothing to do with performance of one vs the other. I also know the difference yet I prefer DOT.  Ultimately I base my preference of many years of racing downhill as well as other disciplines, and also being a mechanic on various bikes.

I love the freedom of choice.  

Cool man. I'm also a DH rider... Also worked in bike shops. Just saying. 

Only of you leave the stuff laying on surfaces for extended periods, wiping it off with alcohol solves the not-problem

Also the modern DOT fluid isnt like the old stuff, not so hectic! 

Its super convenient as well. 

Walk into a midas walk out with a tiny bottle. done. 

I have had the same set of X2's for probably 10 years, bled the rears once after a crash filed the screw head down on the cap (it was still sealed) but I changed it out and bled it while I was there! 

I haven't bled my V4s since new. 8 years now I think. Still as good as the day I got them. These brakes have been through hell with me. Definitely a keeper for me. 

I have owned both and others, this is what I can tell you:

The thing about Hope is, it grows on you as a product and brand more than other's do. First I got the brakes, now I want the cranks, wheelsets etc.

Now for the brakes:

The first thing is the physical feel of the brakes in your hand, it all feels very solid and well built. It gives you that feeling when you pick it up like damn this is quality.

The adjustment 'levers' are awesome even with gloves on.

The build quality is nothing short off of awesome.

The performance in my opinion is awesome, they aren't as sharp or 'bitey' but you can adjust them somewhat for a sharper bite and slap on a nice big rotor and you will be close. The nice thing is you can go both ways or be in the middle, you can't really have the extremes of both ends but I feel like the Hope brakes have a little more fiddling room to play with.

Been riding my Hope's for 3 years, no problems at all and I am now only considering a bleed for the very first time. I have Hope Race Evo X2s too, got them in 2015 they are on my commute bike now but have been on my jump bike too and same story, I have had to bleed them more often and they are pretty used but still 100%.

I wouldn't say the Hope brakes are better than Formula, that is an endless debate. But if you are into a product that is bulky, strong and a bit more industrial/mechanical Hope is the call for me.

I'm biased in this answer as I work with the importers of Formula, but in aide of helping make your decision easier - why not demo our brakes? 

Through our online portal you can request a demo set from your nearest premium dealer:

https://getstokedonline.co.za/demo-request/

Cheers!

Thank you!

I managed to get a demo organized for next week.

Regards,

Hope.

Simple reason, you can buy every part as a spare, right down to the screws that hold the cap. 

Every o-ring, piston, levers etc

Same for Curas. Every part available, and separately as opposed to having to by complete rebuild kits every time.

I've had both (E4's, single pot Curas and now 2 pot curas) and they are actually two very different kind of brakes. The Hopes have modulation for days and while they do stop you when you first get them they take a bit of time to get used to. First ride I had on them I thought that were broken and were not going to stop me going down Jonkers.

Once you get used to them and understand the joys of modulation then they are really, really good. They are not the biggest 'stoppers' in the world and are a way off even the single pot curas (which were run and won on the UCI DH circuit by a few top tier teams). Hopes are a 'want' thing. They look trick on a bike and the ability to get all the parts is attractive. They also seem to last a long time but I guess people also keep them longer than as set of Curas and people tend to move them from bike to bike. So they are keepers. Just found myself a couple of times at unexpected moments hauling on the Hopes and not slowing as fast as I liked for those 'oh ***, give me all you got now as I need it' situations. They don't crop up very often but still. 

My experiences of Curas have been been very good. They are the undercover brake. They are the brakes that a lot of guys who work in bike shops seem to run. In fact I first saw them on MarcHD's bike when he was at Conties, at The Hanger etc and got great review from him when I asked about them. The originals ones had great stopping power and I really got on with the way they bit and the lever. Those are just personal things and may not be what you're looking for. I honestly wondered what the 2 pot brakes would bring and if even more power was going to be too much. I took a chance on a great deal and ditched my Red hopes for some gold big boy curas and I can say I'm sold. Again it's a personal thing but they deal with a lot of available power very well (unlike the Maguras) and it's never a case of just jamming a ton of stopping into your wheels when you pull the lever. There is modulation and it's good but it tis very different to the huge amount of modulation that Hope give. They are adjustable but the Hopes are very adjustable. Maybe too much. The one thing I really love is that they have a special device that means you can take off the hoses from the callipers without losing any fluid, letting air in or having to bleed. clip off, clip back on. Perfect if you build across to a new bike, good for travelling and stuff. You may not use it much but it's nice to have as I hate bleeding brakes. 

Maintenance wise they have all been very low. I had the single pot Curas on for +/-  1 year and never did anything to them other than to change pads. Hopes for about a year. Same, same. New Curas 6 months in and again just keep going on. I did get the LBS to look at my Hopes when I first got them as I thought they needed bleeding but that was because I wasn't used to the feel. 

Cost wise the Curas will always win by a lot. See if a friend has some hopes and give them a go then take up the demo on the Curas and make a decision. 

They are both top end brakes and you can't really go wrong. 

Same for Curas. Every part available, and separately as opposed to having to by complete rebuild kits every time.

I guess the difference is the same parts for hope have been available for 20 years, we'll see in 20 years time if parts for Formula still exist... 

I guess the difference is the same parts for hope have been available for 20 years, we'll see in 20 years time if parts for Formula still exist... 

True story. I'm not taking sides on this one, they're both great brakes - just pointing out that Formula (and their current SA distro) are right up there with serviceability and availability of parts.

I have a set of cura's with sram matchmaker i may sell. Been in my toolbox since I've bought almost 2 years ago

How much do you think? Have a friend who is looking for a reasonable pair for a new build.

How much do you think? Have a friend who is looking for a reasonable pair for a new build.

Check your pm