Tour de Pologne

Vetplant

So I'm of the opinion that he should be held accountable.

Does it excuse past sprinter's behaviour? No. But his actions are directly responsible for serious bodily harm.

'Sport' shouldn't be an acceptable banner to stand behind.

If I make a decision to run somebody off the road, I am accountable. I actually don't see anything changing until people are held accountable.

Yes the barriers are sub standard, yes other people have done similar things, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he DID this. Regardless of whether it is sportsing or not.

We are still accountable for accidents if our actions and decisions leading up to them influenced the outcome.

I'm sure no one ever 'means' to kill a pedestrian or knock someone off their bike while texting and driving.

Have a gazillion people got away with texting and driving? Yes. Do we all wish they wouldn't when they knock someone over? 

I'm not sure if sport exempts you from the consequences of your actions

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it excuse past sprinter's behaviour? No. But his actions are directly responsible for serious bodily harm.

If I make a decision to run somebody off the road, I am accountable. I actually don't see anything changing until people are held accountable.

Yes the barriers are sub standard, yes other people have done similar things, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he DID this. Regardless of whether it is sportsing or not.

We are still accountable for accidents if our actions and decisions leading up to them influenced the outcome.

I'm sure no one ever 'means' to kill a pedestrian or knock someone off their bike while texting and driving.

Have a gazillion people got away with texting and driving? Yes. Do we all wish they wouldn't when they knock someone over?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/patrick-lefevere-it-was-a-very-dirty-action-by-groenewegen/?__twitter_impression=true

Local authorities are now investigating the circumstances and causes of the incident, according to a tweet from the police department for Silesian Voivodeship.

Stage 2 [emoji6]

What a win for the World Champ ..Mads out foxed them all..

I am having a bad cycling fact day hahahaha. I didn't need to watch - I heard the shouting all over the city! Beer will flow tonight!

I am having a bad cycling fact day hahahaha. I didn't need to watch - I heard the shouting all over the city! Beer will flow tonight!

Perfect lead out followed by a perfect sprint..

Shame he has had few opportunities to wear the rainbow jersey this year and he isn't normally they one they work for..

From what I can see, he closed the gap and did nothing wrong?

That’s what I thought until I watched from more camera angles.

Edit, I see you got there ;)

Edited by The Ghost

Agreed.

Some people are wondering about the riders intentions etc but I don’t believe that has anything to do with it.

I think engaging their brain and forseeing possible consequences are required and consequences for our actions is required.

If someone close passes you on the road and shouts and you fall and die they should be held accountable, it may not have been their intention but it was a consequence of their poor choices and actions and the same should apply here.

Agreed.

Some people are wondering about the riders intentions etc but I don’t believe that has anything to do with it.

I think engaging their brain and forseeing possible consequences are required and consequences for our actions is required.

If someone close passes you on the road and shouts and you fall and die they should be held accountable, it may not have been their intention but it was a consequence of their poor choices and actions and the same should apply here.

To counter the 'sprinters have been doing this for years', I will say that while someone may have driven drunk 996 times and affected nobody, if they kill or maim someone on the 997th drunk trip they are still accountable.

They got away with the other 996 ties because there was no negative outcome. Saying 'they do it all the time, why is this different?' detracts fro the fact that this time someone might have died, or is at best, lucky to survive.

This will be my last comment on this I think, but ja, being responsible for your actions, whether in the heat of the moment or premeditated, is a huge part of maintaining a civil society.

If Jacobsen was my son/father/brother/husband I would be properly angry. If we expect cycling to change and the judicial system to be taken seriously, this sort of behavior needs to be stamped out and punished properly.

If it takes someone actually dying before this sort of thing is stamped out properly then it will be a sad sad waste of young life. 

That first sprint was rough. I really do not know what the best way to sanction Groenwagen, I do not think he wanted to put the guy in hospital. 

This is a very tricky point, coming from an ice hockey background where a fighting is part of the sport, never in a brawl was my life at risk or was there any malice. Yes there were broken jaws and bruises but it was part of the game. 

Only dangerous acts like a high stick or a knee would result in misconduct. There had to be real intent though, knowing the damage that would be done. I dont know if Groenwagen knew what he was going to cause.

An update from QS the morning:

Fabio Jakobsen’s situation is serious but at the moment he is stable. Diagnostic test didn’t reveal brain or spinal injury, but because of the gravity of his multiple injuries he is still kept in a comatose condition and has to remain closely monitored in the following days at the Wojewódzki Szpital in Katowice.

Further information will be made available in the course of the coming hours. Meanwhile, we would like to thank you for your heartwarming support.

Also reading a post from Sagan, looks to have also lost most of his teeth.

Hope he makes a full (Froome) recovery

We can report that our riders were not involved in the accident, and our thoughts remain with Fabio Jakobsen and his teammates.

@BORA-hansgrohe

https://www.bora-hansgrohe.com/en/news/argonnews202008polognestage1/argonnews202008polognestage1/393982811