Tour de Pologne

Vetplant

Terrible actions from Groenewegen esp considering that he knows the finish is already dangerous..and it wasn't a slight mistake either, he deliberately went off his line to prevent Jakobsen from coming past him.. then the nudge and elbow for good measure.. agree 100% with you it is disgusting.

I really do hope Jakobsen pulls through..

Absolutely.. The block was scandalous, the follow through is just unforgivable.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An update from QS the morning:

Fabio Jakobsen’s situation is serious but at the moment he is stable. Diagnostic test didn’t reveal brain or spinal injury, but because of the gravity of his multiple injuries he is still kept in a comatose condition and has to remain closely monitored in the following days at the Wojewódzki Szpital in Katowice.

Further information will be made available in the course of the coming hours. Meanwhile, we would like to thank you for your heartwarming support.

Also reading a post from Sagan, looks to have also lost most of his teeth.

Hope he makes a full (Froome) recovery

post-8350-0-69059300-1596687691_thumb.jpg

Clearly Groenewegen is in the wrong on this one, no dispute.

BUT all sprinters are stark raving mad and on occasion get carried away in terms of their need to win.

Compound that with the first race of the season for many and many fighting for contracts...recipe for gladiator stuff.

Groenewegen's own motto is podium or jodium....

Obviously there are allot of similarities between this crash and the Sagan-Cavendish crash at the TDF a couple of years back.

Groenewegen caused this, no doubt. But is there an opportunity to look at the standard of barriers for the sake of the riders?

The Cavendish crash was still bad, but they never gave way, which meant his deceleration was more even than the abrupt nature of what Jakobsen experienced.

And I also agree with the notion that Downhill sprints should be done away with.

The sad part is that this type of sprinting happens all the time. One man's ebb and flow of a sprint is another man's line deviation.

If Jakobsen hadn't crashed this sprint would not have even made the headlines.

The line deviation rule gets enforced only if there is an incident or a objection.

The UCI treads a fine line between ensuring safety and removing the adrenaline/style/panache from sprinting.

All that said - that was a horrific crash and Groenewagen should accept his sanction - he deviated 100% his fault.

Obviously there are allot of similarities between this crash and the Sagan-Cavendish crash at the TDF a couple of years back.

Groenewegen caused this, no doubt. But is there an opportunity to look at the standard of barriers for the sake of the riders?

The Cavendish crash was still bad, but they never gave way, which meant his deceleration was more even than the abrupt nature of what Jakobsen experienced.

And I also agree with the notion that Downhill sprints should be done away with.

Those barriers just gave way..you'd think there was some sort of standard regarding barriers.. unfortunately it always takes tragedy or a serious incident before they do anything about it..[emoji17]

An update from QS the morning:

Fabio Jakobsen’s situation is serious but at the moment he is stable. Diagnostic test didn’t reveal brain or spinal injury, but because of the gravity of his multiple injuries he is still kept in a comatose condition and has to remain closely monitored in the following days at the Wojewódzki Szpital in Katowice.

Further information will be made available in the course of the coming hours. Meanwhile, we would like to thank you for your heartwarming support.

Also reading a post from Sagan, looks to have also lost most of his teeth.

Hope he makes a full (Froome) recovery

Yikes. 

Those barriers just gave way..you'd think there was some sort of standard regarding barriers.. unfortunately it always takes tragedy or a serious incident before they do anything about it..[emoji17]

I think the barriers are just to keep spectators off the road, they form no real protection. 

I was involved in something similar at a local race a few years ago. I was ahead of the crash but man it sounded nasty from behind. But I don't think anywhere the speed of the pros. 

I finally found and overhead video:https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1517589085069285&_rdr

Interesting that Jakobsen did exactly the same thing to an FdJ rider around 100m before Groenie did it to him.

Should Jakobsen also be sanctioned?

Yes of course that was a rhetorical question and Groenie deviated more but it highlights the question of what exactly "deviation" is. Is it the actual deviation or the consequence of the deviation?

When you watch the overhead, Gibbons was just inches away from being brought down as well.

With both Groenewagen (DQ'ed), Jakobsen, Sarreau and I think Philipsen all out due to injuries sustained, Gibbons could find himself in 2nd on GC and possible green. Sure not the way he would of wanted it to materialise.

I finally found and overhead video:https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1517589085069285&_rdr

Interesting that Jakobsen did exactly the same thing to an FdJ rider around 100m before Groenie did it to him.

Should Jakobsen also be sanctioned?

Yes of course that was a rhetorical question and Groenie deviated more but it highlights the question of what exactly "deviation" is. Is it the actual deviation or the consequence of the deviation?

The rule.

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1291049796552335360?s=19

We know the rule but it is pretty grey and enforced randomly.

Only enforced when there is an incident or if a rider or team lodge a complaint..that is the problem... Jokobsen had not yet launched his sprint therefore it is jostling for position[emoji2368]

The rules need to be clearer and enforced at all times.. routes and equipment used (finish line barriers..road furniture etc etc need to have many more safety features as to avoid serious injury if there was to be a race incident.. remember last year a rider died hitting a concrete barrier at this same tour. Some things are in the hands of organisers and the UCI.. there will always be crashes in cycling the least they can do is have some sort of measures in place that minimises serious injuries maybe..(softer landing so to speak) a decent fixed barriers should be the bare minimal.

Edited by Gen