Tour de Pologne

Vetplant

Taking hits? You really are Speshsenstivie. Any helmet manufacturer who saw their helmet come off during an accident (along with public footage of it) should be sprinting to their R&D dept to start a million simulations.

Sweating bullets, taking hits... one mans Expert is another mans Sworks.

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more times I see that crash and think about it, the more it becomes obvious that it is now the time where the riders and teams need to take a stand here united and demand that the UCI starts to take rider safety seriously.

Maybe a sprint stage in the first week of the TDF should be a protest ride where nobody goes for the win but one of the invitational teams are allowed to ride over the line in the front of the idling peloton as a sign of protest.

The more times I see that crash and think about it, the more it becomes obvious that it is now the time where the riders and teams need to take a stand here united and demand that the UCI starts to take rider safety seriously.

Maybe a sprint stage in the first week of the TDF should be a protest ride where nobody goes for the win but one of the invitational teams are allowed to ride over the line in the front of the idling peloton as a sign of protest.

Exactly, there has been more issues with barriers and dangerous finishes than with discs or long socks... 

Narrow road, downhill finalé, rusty sprinting skills, desperation to win in a compressed season, white line fever, Groenie's error in judgement, kakka barriers.

What makes it worse is that most of these were concerns raised to race officials before this eina crash.

Look, the UCI has a lot of introspection to do when it comes to rider safety. This is a recurring issue.

• 3 months later...

So what exactly did they judge the ban on? Did they ban him for so long because Fabio ended up in a coma? Did they ban him for deviating from his line?

If it is because of the coma then they should look into their barriers. If it is for deviating then why don't the guys that do it without causing crashes get banned?

I don't have an issue with them being strict but then lets be consistent.

So are they saying that you can be Mr mobile chicane Demare and get all your wins by cutting okes off and its fine?

What about that classic that Caleb Ewan won? The bora guy(Ackerman maybe?) came 2nd and caused a crash, yeah he got relegated but now do they re-look that and suspend him for 9 months?

I gather the ban will be effective from August this year?

If that is the case, not really going to have much impact considering the start of the 2021 season will be impacted by Covid.

Edited by Fond_TF2

If that is the case, not really going to have much impact considering the start of the 2021 season will be impacted by Covid.

Good.

Until they start enforcing this consistently and during the stage at intermediate sprints and even extend it to dangerous riding in the peleton, it's a stupid rule and I hope Groenewagen isn't negatively impacted here.

Article says his suspension is until 7 May 2021

This is absolute BS from the UCI (what else is new?) as they're punishing based on outcome. The outcome was exacerbated by the appalling barriers and downhill finish. being fair would be punishing all line-changing, even if no one crashes and that extends to Demare

If they could just be consistent, everyone would be happy. and yes, that includes applying the sock-height rule.

harsh on DG, he is being judged on the injury not the incident.

I guess no action taken against the people who made the dangerous barriers that did all the damage?

You could find countless deviations that are way more aggressive that have gone unpunished just this year. and you can't say this is the new normal, because JAP was banned for 0 days after switching Hirschi on the line at LBL

we have come a long way since this

Did Bos ever get sanctioned for the Impey incident? I seem to recall that he did not get sanctioned

Did Bos ever get sanctioned for the Impey incident? I seem to recall that he did not get sanctioned

1 month!!!

different world hey?

he did however end up with a contract at MTN-Q a few years later too!

Article says his suspension is until 7 May 2021

That's a bummer.

That said, I don't foresee many world tour races happening the 1st quarter of next year