Tour de Pologne

Vetplant

maybe just a line drawn a certain distance away that defines where no substantial deviation from your sprint line starts?

I actually said the line thing in jest but the more I think about it the more I like it.

We don't really want track racing where sprinters ride in their own lanes but it might make the riders more aware/cognisant of the sprint direction (and allow the UCI to "prove" where riders have deviated.

It probably isn't a bad idea on finishes where the finishing "straight" aint so straight.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see, he closed the gap and did nothing wrong? 

Closed the gap but there was an elbow, sure there will be an investigation 

Absolutely.

But there are two things here. 

The barrier and Groenies actions.

Both need to be addressed.

I think the calls for life bans and jail time are getting hysterical. It's not pitch fork time just yet and only adds noise to the event. 

GWagen moved massively once he had started the sprint to close a side out and Jakoben was taken across and was trying to get through, elbows were thrown (and that is not the first or last time on a set of barriers or close to them). Issue was that those barriers were lethal, seemed inadequate and the finish was a downhill sprint that had been repeated flagged as a real danger by riders and team yet nothing was done. Dylan was in the wrong but I don't think it's a clear cut as 'burn the witch'.

We've all seen worse actions in a sprint that haven't ended in such horrific circumstances.I know I joked about the Cav' / Sagan incident but in that DeMares riding there could have taken out several riders and should have been sanctioned. 

The unfortunate fact was there was actions, intentions and consequences at the athlete /sprint level but the result was much more that anyone would have expected in the normal circumstances of that situation and you have to ask 'why?' and address that as well. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Closed the gap but there was an elbow, sure there will be an investigation 

The severity of the incident prompted the sport’s international governing body to immediately refer the matter to the Disciplinary Commission with a request to impose sanction against Groenewegen

Horrible crash that.  Could it be that Groenewegen not be criminaly charged?

If Jaokobsen doesn't make it then there will likely be charges brought by Polish authorities. Standard operating procedure.

When are UCI making their decision?

Going through the disciplinary committee..no idea when that would be.

Apparently the Quick Step manager is pushing for criminal charges.

Looking at the finish of todays stage, one can expect more carnage. Hope to god that I am wrong?

Edited by Fond_TF2

I like this tweet by Robbie McEwan

attachicon.gifrm.jpg

He's correct. PatrickLF is getting more senile the older he gets. A great team manager but lost a lot of respect with his view and comments around the Kesse incident and blaming the woman basically for wanting money off him. 

I'm sure Groenewegen isn't feeling very great. The poor guy made a typical sprinting move, just this time it hurt someone real real bad.