Tour de Pologne

Vetplant

The difference is that Jakobsen drifts right feels the rider to his right and then straightens and moves slightly left giving the rider space. Groenie slammed Jakobsen straight into the barrier with no quarter given.

In many  of these cases the severity of the sanction is determined by the outcome.

in this case it is very very bad

That is one interpretation. Another could be: Jakobsen shoulder barges Bauhaus to his left then switches Sarreau mercilessly to stay on Groenewagen's wheel.

Either way only they will know what they "felt" and what their intent was.

One "drift" caused Sarreau to lose the sprint - one "deviation" sent Jakobsen to hospital. Could easily have been the other way around if Groenewagen "felt" Jakobsen on his right.

Either way - we're debating scraps here. We both agree that Groenewagen should accept whatever penalty is heading his way. I just don't think it is as binary as: Groenwagen evil - Jakobsen innocent victim.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno how much of this is intentional.

i'm not sure if the riders do either, we're watching slowmos and they are going on instinct tired and pumping with adrenalin. Jakobsen could always have passed on the left too, but i guess he could see the gap on the right before it closed.

Sometimes contact bewteen 2 riders helps them both stay upright

sometimes often not when a barrier is involved

That is one interpretation. Another could be: Jakobsen shoulder barges Bauhaus to his left then switches Sarreau mercilessly to stay on Groenewagen's wheel.

Either way only they will know what they "felt" and what their intent was.

One "drift" caused Sarreau to lose the sprint - one "deviation" sent Jakobsen to hospital. Could easily have been the other way around if Groenewagen "felt" Jakobsen on his right.

Either way - we're debating scraps here. We both agree that Groenewagen should accept whatever penalty is heading his way. I just don't think it is as binary as: Groenwagen evil - Jakobsen innocent victim.

No certainly not. Life isn't that binary. I'm sure there as no intent to cause harm or injury but there was certainly intent to block. OS that alone deserves a sanction. The result is highly unfortunate and could result in further action being taken despite no intent to cause harm.

No certainly not. Life isn't that binary. I'm sure there as no intent to cause harm or injury but there was certainly intent to block. OS that alone deserves a sanction. The result is highly unfortunate and could result in further action being taken despite no intent to cause harm.

Maybe we should tell Lefevere that - he was asking for jail time!

Evenpoel asked for a life time ban.

Emotions were running high straight after the incident!

Hopefully everyone calms down and the UCI do their thing soon.

let hope they learned from the Sagan/Cavendish incident not to overreact ad to look at all the facts not just those presented by the wronged parties

They really need to put regulations in place so that we never see barriers fail like that again.. it will go a long way in reducing serious injury.

For now lets just hope the Jakobsen makes a full recovery.

They really need to put regulations in place so that we never see barriers fail like that again.. it will go a long way in reducing serious injury.

This! If only one thing comes out of this make it batter barriers!

The TdF barriers overlap so Cav kinda rolled down. In Pologne one got knocked out the way and Jakobsen smashed into the next one. It was sickening.

Absolutely.

But there are two things here. 

The barrier and Groenies actions.

Both need to be addressed.

let hope they learned from the Sagan/Cavendish incident not to overreact ad to look at all the facts not just those presented by the wronged parties

But we all know Sagan was wilfully trying to get rid of the Manx man and stuck his elbow out on purpose.  :ph34r:

Absolutely.

But there are two things here.

The barrier and Groenies actions.

Both need to be addressed.

Oh absolutely.

Exactly this - UCI condemning in the strongest possible terms but the name Groenewagen could have been swapped for Jakobsen if he had moved another 10cm right and Sarreau hadn't been so alert.

That said - do we really want sterile sprints where they draw lines on the road and there is safe distance between each rider?

I'm pretty pleased I'm not the one charged with sorting this out!

maybe just a line drawn a certain distance away that defines where no substantial deviation from your sprint line starts?