Tour de Pologne

Vetplant

7km left of Stage 3 for those interested

Thanks man, I enjoyed watching that finish and I would have missed it if it were not for your heads up

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man, I enjoyed watching that finish and I would have missed it if it were not for your heads up

Yes, way earlier than all the other stages. I was curious to see if the broadcast started yet, so was lucky to catch it actually.

Does anyone know how he is doing now.

According to a few posts on Twitter, he is awake and responding. He had 5 hours of facial surgery and had lost all his teeth. Still critical but stable.

According to a few posts on Twitter, he is awake and responding. He had 5 hours of facial surgery and had lost all his teeth. Still critical but stable.

I suspect Groenie is going to pay dearly for this.

This is a very tricky point, coming from an ice hockey background where a fighting is part of the sport, never in a brawl was my life at risk or was there any malice. Yes there were broken jaws and bruises but it was part of the game.

I fail to understand how brawls or broken jaws are part of a sport other than MMA, boxing etc where smashing your opponent physically is part of the rules and skill set, or how it’s considered okay.

That first sprint was rough. I really do not know what the best way to sanction Groenwagen, I do not think he wanted to put the guy in hospital. 

This is a very tricky point, coming from an ice hockey background where a fighting is part of the sport, never in a brawl was my life at risk or was there any malice. Yes there were broken jaws and bruises but it was part of the game. 

Only dangerous acts like a high stick or a knee would result in misconduct. There had to be real intent though, knowing the damage that would be done. I dont know if Groenwagen knew what he was going to cause.

My issue with this statement is that it actually doesn't matter.

His actions led to this. He broke the rules. If I text and drive and hit you, I definitely didn't mean to hit you, nor did I mean to hurt you. I am still liable.

If you punch someone in Ice Hockey and they never get up, are you exempt because you didn't mean to kill them?

Actions that lead to the harm of others unfortunately bear consequences. Whatever the intent.

If I aim for your leg and shoot you in the head, you're probably still dead. Things just didn't go how I planned

My issue with this statement is that it actually doesn't matter.

His actions led to this. He broke the rules. If I text and drive and hit you, I definitely didn't mean to hit you, nor did I mean to hurt you. I am still liable.

If you punch someone in Ice Hockey and they never get up, are you exempt because you didn't mean to kill them?

Actions that lead to the harm of others unfortunately bear consequences. Whatever the intent.

If I aim for your leg and shoot you in the head, you're probably still dead. Things just didn't go how I planned

100%

I suspect Groenie is going to pay dearly for this.

Already suspended by the team while they wait for the disciplinary commission to make their decision..I suspect he will get a lengthy ban. I did see somewhere that local law inforcement are investigating the incident. He will also have to live with what he did.

For now let's just hope Jakobsen will be able to make a full recovery..he has a very long road ahead of him.

I know that bunch sprints can have the odd bump and crash and are hair raising on a good day, but I’ve seen a few shoulder shoves over the years that are just plain ridiculous and dangerous. It makes me angry and I wouldn’t care if he was charged with attempted murder to be honest. [emoji35] When you shove someone into a solid barrier you leave them with nowhere to go and severe consequences are foreseeable! A win is not worth another persons safety and well-being.

I wish to soften my stance a little bit here.

Having seen him in tears and believing that he is really upset and remorseful about the incident I would feel sorry for him if he gets a harsh sentence / punishment.

I still think it’s required and should happen, but I would feel empathy for him as opposed to my previous comment about not caring.

I think he did a bad thing that ended horribly but I don’t think he’s a horrible soul.

Having seen him in tears and believing that he is really upset and remorseful about the incident I would feel sorry for him if he gets a harsh sentence / punishment.

I still think it’s required and should happen, but I would feel empathy for him as opposed to my previous comment about not caring.

I think he did a bad thing that ended horribly but I don’t think he’s a horrible soul.

Well good on your for changing a position, regardless of what that position is or was. Far too little of that happens around here.

Agree, his action was wrong and for that he deserve a ban and fine.

PL comments, I do not agree with, if that is the case the Tour organiser and UCI should also be accountable.

The clip comparing Manxman famous crash in Le Tour due to Sagan and this crash shows the difference in the barricades and standards.

Screen crabs of helmet going one direction...who’s responsible for that.

The first clip I watched did not look very aggressive, compared to Theo Bos action back in 09 to our own Impey, for that he received a month ban.

Edited by DJuice

Well good on your for changing a position, regardless of what that position is or was. Far too little of that happens around here.

Thanks

I do try to be a compassionate and reasonable person, and I got caught up in the emotions of it all.

He is truly remorseful...it is just sad all round.