Gravel biking in Cape Town

Bub Marley

So 5 years ago I left South Africa for the UAE. However, me and my family have decided to move back home next year once my contract is done. 

I had a thought that I might invest in a gravel bike here and bring it with me back to Cape Town next year when I relocate back given that these machines are there in thing these days. 

I have a 26” hard tail gathering dust in Cape Town and I think it’s due an upgrade  My question really is how much scope is there for gravel now in Cape Town? I’m a roadie by nature so I’m not really planning on tackling the most technical of trails. Just a bit of off-road every now and again is great. 

is it really worth it to get a gravel specific bike? Or should I rather just upgrade to a 29er instead? I am planning doing some gravel races like the Swartberg gran fondo but I know many have done this mtb’s as well. And I’m not really sure if there are any other proper gravel specific races. Or even gravel specific trails really. 

So if anyone can maybe shed some light on gravel biking in South Africa or Cape Town specifically and is it growing and worth getting one?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gravel bikes don't appear to be hugely popular in Cape Town/Northern Suburbs (TMTB club territory).

There are some *gravel* roads on the outskirts of Durbanville (Spes Bona, Malanshoogte as examples), they are very pretty. I think gravel bikes are a compromise, which works well for some people (like me), who are familiar with MTBs but find pure road riding interesting but a bit scary. Gravel bikes offer something in between, but I think a road bike would be more performant and an MTB would be more flexible... so I'd probably just buy two bikes haha. Road riding would be awesome if there were less cars ????

Sure, I'll start. 

Depends largely on where in Cape Town you'll be. I'm in Sea Point and there are a few rad routes you can do from here - like the big loop around the mountain (50% road) and then an extension along the green belts in Constantia. Can also go up Ou Wa Pad and down the gravel/rock tracks into Tokai (short sections are very rocky, but manageable).Not all of TM National Park is good for gravel though - the town side is a bit rocky (but again, manageable) so I prefer using my MTB for that.

The reason I bought mine (and I have a road bike and a 29er full sus) is to go for "out-rides" in Wellington/Paarl, Grabouw, Greyton etc. That to me is proper gravel riding. Then there are more and more races on the calendar (pre-covid) so hopefully that trend continues.

I also use my GG for chilled road rides. 

Sure, I'll start. 

Depends largely on where in Cape Town you'll be. I'm in Sea Point and there are a few rad routes you can do from here - like the big loop around the mountain (50% road) and then an extension along the green belts in Constantia. Can also go up Ou Wa Pad and down the gravel/rock tracks into Tokai (short sections are very rocky, but manageable).Not all of TM National Park is good for gravel though - the town side is a bit rocky (but again, manageable) so I prefer using my MTB for that.

The reason I bought mine (and I have a road bike and a 29er full sus) is to go for "out-rides" in Wellington/Paarl, Grabouw, Greyton etc. That to me is proper gravel riding. Then there are more and more races on the calendar (pre-covid) so hopefully that trend continues.

I also use my GG for chilled road rides. 

Or those really wet mornings and am like, nah not cleaning the road bike again.

Or those really wet mornings and am like, nah not cleaning the road bike again.

+1 Bad weather = gravel bike. Too much effort to keep the road bike clean.

My gravel bike must sit next to my road bike and ask what its done wrong to deserve the layers of dust and cow dung.

I am based in Cape Town and built up a gravel bike to do the Swartberg Fondo. Over the past 6 months it has turned into my go to bike for virtually everything short of enduro with the lads in Jonnkershoek. I have a pair a 38 Gravel King slicks on it and can still stick with the roadies on weekends, take short cuts via the blockhouse between the city bowl and UCT, do the Constania Green Route, and take it along on weekend trips to the Karoo and West Coast where it is flies on dirt roads compared to an mtb.

Even for straight forward road riding it is great as you can jump pavements, take on some rough stuff and it is fine and super comfy. My road bike etc. haven't been touched since I got it.

Edited by Baracuda

Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like overwhelming yes for the gravel bike. 

I’m based in northern suburbs so predominantly will be in the Durbanville / tygerberg area for riding. 

I’m based in northern suburbs so predominantly will be in the Durbanville / tygerberg area for riding. 

Also live in the same area - playing with the idea of getting a gravel bike as well. This time of the year with the rains the gravel roads are beautiful and smooth and I'm really jealous of the okes that have ones.

That said in a few months in summer the gravel roads in the area will be horribly rutty again, I am genuinely not convinced that a gravel bike is more fun in those conditions that time of the year. Also the Tygerberg Trails expanded a lot in the last 5 years and a lot of it is not particularly technical. If I had only one bike in this area I would go for a mtb that gives you access to both (assuming a 26er doesn't count as a bike anymore  :P )

Definitely get the gravel bike.

I drove through Philadelphia on Saturday and remarked to my wife how the gravel road riding is brilliant. You can connect gravel roads and end up in the Cederberg, Tankwa or Boland.

so why do you have to clean a road bike and not a gravel bike?

So 5 years ago I left South Africa for the UAE. However, me and my family have decided to move back home next year once my contract is done. 

I had a thought that I might invest in a gravel bike here and bring it with me back to Cape Town next year when I relocate back given that these machines are there in thing these days. 

I have a 26” hard tail gathering dust in Cape Town and I think it’s due an upgrade  My question really is how much scope is there for gravel now in Cape Town? I’m a roadie by nature so I’m not really planning on tackling the most technical of trails. Just a bit of off-road every now and again is great. 

is it really worth it to get a gravel specific bike? Or should I rather just upgrade to a 29er instead? I am planning doing some gravel races like the Swartberg gran fondo but I know many have done this mtb’s as well. And I’m not really sure if there are any other proper gravel specific races. Or even gravel specific trails really. 

So if anyone can maybe shed some light on gravel biking in South Africa or Cape Town specifically and is it growing and worth getting one?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/172995-gravel-bikes-what-do-you-have-and-where-did-you-buy-it/

View this thread.... You wont hesitate to buy one afterwards.  :w00t: