Flats vs Cleats. Your findings

ChristiaanSt

Managed to sort out the numb toes about 99%. Adjusted the cleats correctly. Interesting how much different my left foot is in terms of angling the clear.

At 30km today my left pinkie toe started getting numb and I had pain on the outside of the foot. Made another adjustment tonight and will see tomorrow how it goes.

And this is one of the main reasons I moved to flats. I just got gatvol of forever making adjustments to my cleats and never being comfortable. Up

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aim for the axle to be midway between 1st and 5th metatarsal. Below the ball is old school :-)

Shoes parallel to bike is a good place to start for angle then work towards knee stability from there.

Q factor is pelvic width dependent.

Good advice thank you, I'll try this setup as I'm on clips and also have the toes going dead problem.

Right now it’s new toy syndrome. I love tinkering with things.

One thing I’ve seen so far is that I’m not faster on any sections though. Again I just don’t believe in the hype of being more efficient.

Right now it’s new toy syndrome. I love tinkering with things.

One thing I’ve seen so far is that I’m not faster on any sections though. Again I just don’t believe in the hype of being more efficient.

It isn't hype - it's science :-)

I have the bikefitting.com pedaling analysis hardware and software in the shop. It consists of 2 x 3D power meters that turn your pedal stroke into 24 vectors then run a bunch of formulae to calculate efficiency (and many, many other things).

Great system for making physical and neuromuscular changes to improve efficiency.

Quite a while ago I played with flats versus cleats and cleats won out but a repeatable and consistent margin.

post-2412-0-39484300-1601186801_thumb.jpg

post-2412-0-73719100-1601186866_thumb.jpg

Again. For me personally. I don’t see the benefits.

Agreed but the only fact is that your times are the same. That fact does not make the increased efficiency of clipless a myth as you have stated.

I have the bikefitting.com pedaling analysis hardware and software in the shop. It consists of 2 x 3D power meters that turn your pedal stroke into 24 vectors then run a bunch of formulae to calculate efficiency (and many, many other things).

Great system for making physical and neuromuscular changes to improve efficiency.

Quite a while ago I played with flats versus cleats and cleats won out but a repeatable and consistent margin.

I love tech and gadgets. This is super interesting.

Been riding with cleats for nearly 11 years now and have been riding fairly techy enduro with them for nearly 3 years 

and i really can't remember a time i Fell because of the cleats or where i couldn't get my foot out while having a crash 

Ride whatever you want , but if go do a lap with flats and a lap with cleat on a wattbike and look at the power peanut.

I billion other things influence how fast you go other than the pedals 

......again ride whatever the hell you want 

Hands down the better option.

When I first started riding "Fun Rides" it was Clips(Straps and Cages) and cleats which had a groove which sat over the edge of the pedal.Flat shoes were what we wore to school and back on the bike.I learnt very quickly how to do a track stand and to loosen the straps when I needed to stop and get off.I don't recall battling to disengage.In any event it was a road bike and no need to.

Clipless was a revelation as the contact was firm and piss easy to disengage.Greatest was no pressure on the top of the foot.

Come my first mtb in the early 90s it was great to have clipless which I went straight to without flats at all.I have never done the heavy down hill or enduro stuff and have never felt the need to wear flats.

One can adjust the tension of the spring in the pedal and engaging and disengaging is second nature.

I love data, its always so interesting to see something like this.

I love data, its always so interesting to see something like this.

As an engineer and confirmed data geek I really enjoy my job.

That and turning emotions into numbers.

Final decision was made today. I’m back on flats for good.

The overall comfort and planted feel far outweighs the benefits that clipped in brings.

Put the DMR V-Twins up for sale. Might just do the same with the shoes. Not sure because I feel that secondhand shoes are just gross.

I'm not gonna lie.

Coming from a BMX childhood, then on to road riding as a young adult, and now a mix of most things, I didn't get on with flats.

BMX was obviously flats. No question.

But MTB? I really didn't enjoy a hardtail, and getting bucked off the pedals over bumps, having to constantly reposition my feet, and spending th earth to get a solid shoe/pedal combo.

Cleats are great. I have MUCH more confidence on cleats. In a panic they pull out any way you like and if you just train your brain a bit the ankle out action becomes second nature, even in an oopsie. I don't get bounced off, don't have to worry about my foot sliding off on pedal strikes, and my feet stay exactly where they need to be on the pedals.

No flats for me, thanks, at least on a bike I plan to ride more than a couple 100m with..

I'm not gonna lie.

Coming from a BMX childhood, then on to road riding as a young adult, and now a mix of most things, I didn't get on with flats.

BMX was obviously flats. No question.

But MTB? I really didn't enjoy a hardtail, and getting bucked off the pedals over bumps, having to constantly reposition my feet, and spending th earth to get a solid shoe/pedal combo.

Cleats are great. I have MUCH more confidence on cleats. In a panic they pull out any way you like and if you just train your brain a bit the ankle out action becomes second nature, even in an oopsie. I don't get bounced off, don't have to worry about my foot sliding off on pedal strikes, and my feet stay exactly where they need to be on the pedals.

No flats for me, thanks, at least on a bike I plan to ride more than a couple 100m with..

Ja I am with you on this one.

But, ultimately, what ever blows your hair back. Ride what works for you.

As long as it isnt flat pedals