Specialized champion ride experience with 5.9 kg S-Works Aethos

News bot

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Chapter a catalogue bike?

I get what you are saying, but weight isn't the only metric that makes this bike 'cool'. 

One thing Spaz do very well is R and D. So their bikes work. Love to hate them, but they have bikes for all price points, most avenues of riding and pretty much all of them flex where they are meant to and don't where they are not supposed to.

One could definitely build a lighter bike. That Cannondale Alu frame built up at around 6kg with all the right bits.

Ride quality is also important, especially when you are paying so much.

I would choose this over a catalogue bike any day of the week. It has literally been designed from the ground up so that the cafe racers and social group riders can brag about their bike.

This bike makes no sense!

It isn't aero, it isn't race legal. It is purely an ego booster/superbike for a mamil.

That is why it pains me to admit that I want one, despite knowing that it will just highlight the lack of schlong in my bibshorts and make me feel like a hero while I climb one of Cape Town many fake hills slowly... But feeling like a hero nonetheless.

Wat do you mean by "catalogue" bike?

Mike designs his bikes ground up. They're not open mould.

Wat do you mean by "catalogue" bike?

Mike designs his bikes ground up. They're not open mould.

Sorry, I had them confused with Factor.

Those Chapter2 bikes from NZ do look cool.... bro....

My apologies. 

Although my sentiment still stands. I'm sure you could build the Spaz up lighter too. 

Either way the bike would still make no sense and would be a pure cock joust cafe ride Mamil transporter......

My apologies. 

Although my sentiment still stands. I'm sure you could build the Spaz up lighter too. 

Either way the bike would still make no sense and would be a pure cock joust cafe ride Mamil transporter......

fortunately or perhaps unfortunately in the financial sense, making sense and bike purchasing don't go together

Except for the very few sane and reasonable hubbers

Thats just the thing, these Spez bikes being launched are just for a select market... or maybe not.

Its crazy how many of these high end bikes are out there.

But

For many of us its just about being "smarter" with our money and building something to similar spec at a fraction of what these "Superbikes" costs.

My apologies. 

I have one of these NZ bikes, the C2 Tere. they are cool and stand out, not many in SA yet. I know a few being built in Jozi and will be on the roads soon.

For pretty much the same price i would rather buy the S-Works SL7. 
Better all round bike. That said its different strokes for different folks so if you want lightness in Specialized then they have that spot on. Just a pity you will have to add weight to race any licensed event. Thats like repainting a Picasso to fit the model style of a house.

fortunately or perhaps unfortunately in the financial sense, making sense and bike purchasing don't go together

Except for the very few sane and reasonable hubbers

For sure... I mean, I own a 20" minivelo set up with full road gears.

I love the fact that it makes no sense. I love the fact that Spez have purposefully built a bike that does not conform to any UCI standards, can't be raced, isn't aero but still costs 200k.

It is ridiculous and it is silly and it is awesome.

I have one of these NZ bikes, the C2 Tere. they are cool and stand out, not many in SA yet. I know a few being built in Jozi and will be on the roads soon.

Lucky.... I'm too busy trying to ride a sub3 argust on a 20" bike or buying oil and head gaskets for my land rover to own a real bike....... 

Maybe one day when I'm big!

Better all round bike. That said its different strokes for different folks so if you want lightness in Specialized then they have that spot on. Just a pity you will have to add weight to race any licensed event. Thats like repainting a Picasso to fit the model style of a house.

Totally different beast to the SL

Vast majority of riders don't need to add weight to take part in any sanctioned event. Unless you're an elite with a UCI licence. 

Thats just the thing, these Spez bikes being launched are just for a select market... or maybe not.

Its crazy how many of these high end bikes are out there.

But

For many of us its just about being "smarter" with our money and building something to similar spec at a fraction of what these "Superbikes" costs.

I live in Dubai. Trust me, people here think S-Works and DuraAce are entry level commuters. They walkout the store with some custom bling on top of that spec.

My point? There is a market, and Specialized do a great job in executing in it!

For sure... I mean, I own a 20" minivelo set up with full road gears.

I love the fact that it makes no sense. I love the fact that Spez have purposefully built a bike that does not conform to any UCI standards, can't be raced, isn't aero but still costs 200k.

It is ridiculous and it is silly and it is awesome.

Lucky.... I'm too busy trying to ride a sub3 argust on a 20" bike or buying oil and head gaskets for my land rover to own a real bike....... 

Maybe one day when I'm big!

agreed

and its precisely the pushing the envelope that moves things forward.

Really?... 

My apologies. 

the make no sense bit is just marketing. You can still race this thing like a professional funrider in PPA events with compression socks and World Champs stripes  on your shoulders and not get fined or DQ'd

I live in Dubai. Trust me, people here think S-Works and DuraAce are entry level commuters. They walkout the store with some custom bling on top of that spec.

My point? There is a market, and Specialized do a great job in executing in it!

No doubt there, they have done a good job in ripping off people.