Specialized champion ride experience with 5.9 kg S-Works Aethos

News bot

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that this is awesome and all.... Buuuuuuuut...

If youre a really passionate cyclist, surely, for that kinda money, youd be building something like, absolutely phenomenal. I mean, this is cool and all, being a off the bike shop floor bike, but there are so many more passionate, awe inspiring, and just downright secy bikes to build and ride than this...

Maybe im missing the point. I suppose its moot anyway cause i doubt i could ever see myself buying something like this, ever. But even with that said, it just doesnt make me want it. I dont want to put it on a poster of my 15 year old self's wall. Somehow, spez manages to make bikes that you know will look outdated in 4 years....

I dunno. This just doesn't make me say "its awfully expensive, but i would spend it if i had it"...

For sure... I mean, I own a 20" minivelo set up with full road gears.

I love the fact that it makes no sense. I love the fact that Spez have purposefully built a bike that does not conform to any UCI standards, can't be raced, isn't aero but still costs 200k.

It is ridiculous and it is silly and it is awesome.

Lucky.... I'm too busy trying to ride a sub3 argust on a 20" bike or buying oil and head gaskets for my land rover to own a real bike.......

Maybe one day when I'm big!

I want a mini velo

I get that this is awesome and all.... Buuuuuuuut...

If youre a really passionate cyclist, surely, for that kinda money, youd be building something like, absolutely phenomenal. I mean, this is cool and all, being a off the bike shop floor bike, but there are so many more passionate, awe inspiring, and just downright secy bikes to build and ride than this...

Maybe im missing the point. I suppose its moot anyway cause i doubt i could ever see myself buying something like this, ever. But even with that said, it just doesnt make me want it. I dont want to put it on a poster of my 15 year old self's wall. Somehow, spez manages to make bikes that you know will look outdated in 4 years....

I dunno. This just doesn't make me say "its awfully expensive, but i would spend it if i had it"...

same can be said for any supercar.

But, the advancements made in engineering and R&D eventually trickle down into the everyday bikes/cars and even components we use to build the bikes/cars us mere mortals can afford.

Somehow, spez manages to make bikes that you know will look outdated in 4 years....

Here I was thinking that the Aethos was a decent carbon tribute to the fairly timeless classic road bike look for those that dislike modern dropped stays and aero tubing. 

But, the advancements made in engineering and R&D eventually trickle down into the everyday bikes/cars and even components we use to build the bikes/cars us mere mortals can afford.

This is true.

Affordable bikes have never been better than they are today. Making these super bikes less relevant to the average rider than ever before. We can all thank these bikes for the every-day-hero bikes we ride now.

Dont get me wrong - im glad theyre making bikes like this, particularly its not jist another bike aimed at winning le tour and the rest of us buying because of that. All im saying is, for me, personally, it lacks a lot of the excitement that similar priced/tiered bikes give me... But for sure im not complaining about its creation, and they will sell plenty of these for sure!

I just can't get excited about a bike that costs this much. I applaud the achievement but the price is just ....cynical

Its actually mind blowing if you think about it in practical terms, if people are willing prepared to pay the price (pun intended) then thats what the price will be...

There is no way you can justify the price comparisons below, i don't care if Honda sell 1 gazillion of these machines compared to Specialized selling a few thousand

No matter how sexy that Gloss red tint on the Spaz Epic Pro is....lambs to the slaughter we are

2020 Honda CRF250L Catalogue price CHF 5'630 (On special at the moment for 5'310)

Rally version CHF 6'910

post-182-0-79097500-1602319307_thumb.jpg

Specialized Epic EVO Expert Catalogue price CHF 6'799

post-182-0-33539800-1602319846_thumb.jpg

S-Works Epic Pro CHF 11'999  :eek:

post-182-0-00868500-1602320316_thumb.jpg

Its actually mind blowing if you think about it in practical terms, if people are willing prepared to pay the price (pun intended) then thats what the price will be...

There is no way you can justify the price comparisons below, i don't care if Honda sell 1 gazillion of these machines compared to Specialized selling a few thousand

No matter how sexy that Gloss red tint on the Spaz Epic Pro is....lambs to the slaughter we are

2020 Honda CRF250L Catalogue price CHF 5'630 (On special at the moment for 5'310)

Rally version CHF 6'910

attachicon.gifCRF250L.JPG

Specialized Epic EVO Expert Catalogue price CHF 6'799

attachicon.gifEVO.JPG

S-Works Epic Pro CHF 11'999  :eek:

attachicon.gifEVO.JPG

valid point regarding value

But lets say I was given the option of a 200k motorbike or a 200k bicycle.  I am not allowed to sell either, I'm just allowed to accept the gift and have lifetime rights.

I'm taking the bicycle

Although in your particular example I would rather have the Honda

valid point regarding value

But lets say I was given the option of a 200k motorbike or a 200k bicycle.  I am not allowed to sell either, I'm just allowed to accept the gift and have lifetime rights.

I'm taking the bicycle

Although in your particular example I would rather have the Honda

Ha yes as a cyclist we would all say that

BUT if it was a CRF250R there would be no second thoughts or debate for me

QED 1 1x Honda in my garage

post-182-0-82692700-1602322510_thumb.jpg

Luxury brands will always sell. Just look at the spectrum of car prices out there, the range is massive.

I can't even justify a R30k bike purchase, but there are guys who gladly sign off on such a purchase.

This is like a Bugatti. I can appreciate the vehicle for the engineering behind it, even though it is nowhere near practical or affordable.