Specialized champion ride experience with 5.9 kg S-Works Aethos

News bot

valid point regarding value

But lets say I was given the option of a 200k motorbike or a 200k bicycle. I am not allowed to sell either, I'm just allowed to accept the gift and have lifetime rights.

I'm taking the bicycle

Although in your particular example I would rather have the Honda

If you would choose this Giant TCR ag sorry I mean Aethos over a Ducati Panigale, I have new respect for you. A true bicycle fan.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would choose this Giant TCR ag sorry I mean Aethos over a Ducati Panigale, I have new respect for you. A true bicycle fan.

Don’t understand, lots of people are choosing Levos over bicycles like Giant TCRs??

Edited by Patchelicious

remember I had conditions - I can't take the free 200k bike or motorbike and sell it - I have to keep it and use it

In which case absolutely yes I would choose the bicycle

remember I had conditions - I can't take the free 200k bike or motorbike and sell it - I have to keep it and use it

In which case absolutely yes I would choose the bicycle

No argument from me.

Someone mentioned art earlier which is why I brought this up, as far as I'm concerned the Panigale is one of the most beautiful machines ever created. So even if I wasn't going to use it I'd happily hang it on the wall...

Why are motorbikes a point of 'value reference'?

To me no motorbike is worth 2c, so perceived value is zero. Who decided that comparing Bicycles and Motorbikes made any sense?

This is a top of the range, eccentric niche bike. It isn't meant to be well priced. It isn't made for racing. It isn't meant to be accessible to the average cyclist. 

It is a bike made specifically for rich mamils who coffee ride and spend their time on bike forums in between telling people what to do while wondering why their FTP stays at 3.1w/kg despite all their new kit.

It's literally the opposite of value. It is decadence, it is greed, it is lust. It is a sin personified and it tingles a part of me that knows all of this, but still wants to know what it's like to ride a bike that weighs so little.

Dunno..... It is what it is. Like it or don't like it. But trying to justify it is like trying to justify a 5 million rand bottle of whisky.

Ha yes as a cyclist we would all say that

BUT if it was a CRF250R there would be no second thoughts or debate for me

QED 1 1x Honda in my garage

attachicon.gifCRF.JPG

Add then trailer purchase to get to the track, or a sprinter or similar. 5-10k helmet and additional 2-5 for kit. Petrol every ride, oil etc and then it all adds up.

BUT 11k on a bicycle to me personally is mind blowing. 

BUT (again) as Path said - each to their own, buy what you want and can afford and have a smile on your face when you ride it. 

Everyone but you.

Expensive bicycles - motorbikes.

Expensive motorbikes - cars.

Expensive cars - houses.

Expensive house - tenders...

That makes no sense.

I suppose people who live by those comparisons also don't get that the Velominati 'rules' are ironic......

Anyway, I'm watching world champs. It is entertaining and isn't just repetition... until Nino wins again

Add then trailer purchase to get to the track, or a sprinter or similar. 5-10k helmet and additional 2-5 for kit. Petrol every ride, oil etc and then it all adds up.

BUT 11k on a bicycle to me personally is mind blowing. 

BUT (again) as Path said - each to their own, buy what you want and can afford and have a smile on your face when you ride it.

I don’t think any 11k bicycle could come close to the pleasure of smelling freshly burnt methanol 2 stroke Castrol TTS oil mix.... ( ja I know, different era and wrong century), but I think you know what I mean....

You have a good point, funny enough I gave up the sport of mx to start cycling (actually triathlon) for the very reasons you mention, it was just to much pt and expensive (driving to tracks, cleaning and working on the bike) for the limited time spent actually riding the bike.

Riding / racing a bicycle is much more simple and almost as much fun.

Back to the point under discussion.....

I still think it’s ridiculous that bicycle like any top of the range road bike with no suspension, engine....and that comes with useless kiddies pedals as standard can justifiably cost as much as a new motor cycle with all the bells and whistles.

Here I was thinking that the Aethos was a decent carbon tribute to the fairly timeless classic road bike look for those that dislike modern dropped stays and aero tubing. 

That would be a Colnago C64, Parlee Z-Zero, Sarto Cycles Dinamica, Asola etc, or a Lynskey, Seven Cycles, Serotta, titanium. And all possibly cheaper or ore expensive if you so wish that the Aethos. What Aethos the Aethos is appealing to is a bit well......pretentious,

This is true.

Affordable bikes have never been better than they are today. Making these super bikes less relevant to the average rider than ever before. We can all thank these bikes for the every-day-hero bikes we ride now.

hhmmmmm no thats like saying we have F1 to thank for the modern road car whereas two have never been more removed for each other.

Look we're not saying it's fugly, or crap or anything negative. Its a nice bike I'm sure but really the marketing....

its a bike, a light one and decently classic looking but there are plenty of highly desirable brands with products that ticks that space without the pretentious marketing.

And lets be honest here....its takes a special kind of (Trump) person to look past the C64, Z-Zero or Sarto options if you're looking for that special something

Edited by DieselnDust

Look we're not saying it's fugly, or crap or anything negative. Its a nice bike I'm sure but really the marketing....

its a bike, a light one and decently classic looking but there are plenty of highly desirable brands with products that ticks that space without the pretentious marketing.

And lets be honest here....its takes a special kind of (Trump) person to look past the C64, Z-Zero or Sarto options if you're looking for that special something

Not sure what you are on about.I like the shape and the vibe of the bike.

All I said is that the shape shouldn't date too quickly.  :unsure: 

I do agree with you that there are countless viable alternatives, with very different marketing messages, to suit what ever it is each buyer of such a bike might be looking for. Cycling is thankfully diverse in that regard.

You speak of pretentious marketing. They're American. It's their business culture  :lol: Poor stereotyping aside, is calling someone "special" for not buying into the appeal of Colnago or niche brand exclusivity not arguably its own form of pretentious?

All I said is that the shape shouldn't date too quickly.  :unsure: 

I do agree with you that there are countless viable alternatives, with very different marketing messages, to suit what ever it is each buyer of such a bike might be looking for. Cycling is thankfully diverse in that regard.

You speak of pretentious marketing. They're American. It's their business culture  :lol: Poor stereotyping aside, is calling someone "special" for not buying into the appeal of Colnago or niche brand exclusivity not arguably its own form of pretentious?

Isn't that also the irony?

Cafe racers with zero top tier racing buying ANY type of super bike is pretentious.....