Bikehub prices are too expensive.

Grass Muncher

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm helping a friend get into MTBking. 

Since I have the option to sell him my 26er Anthem - 3x9 XTR spec, Reba fork, I browsed thru the ads, wanted to get a feel for asking price.

Great spec 26er Anthem's on the HUB for R5k-R9k.  3x9 XT kinda spec - which I thought was very cheap, despite the age of the tech. 

Then we have an outlier Anthem 26er  - 3x9 ALIVIO spec at R18k.  Someone is very much emotionally attached to that bike!!!!

Saw a bike being advertised yesterday for R5000 more than it was sold for about a year ago. 
Looking at the same bike's previous ad from from last year (I assume the guy he bought it from) 

It was also far more transparent about what the bike on offer really was. 

People are entitled to ask what they want for their stuff. I have no problem with that. And when this thread about ad comments returning popped up I thought that I was firmly in the camp of leaving the comments off. Because most times its just an excuse for people to **** on ads. But now I'm not so sure.

Look. There are bikes or parts I may be prepared to pay up for despite knowing that the asking price is above what most people would agree its worth. But my decision to overpay for something is still an informed one. I might know better. But if I really want it then it has greater value to me. 

My problem with the ad I mention is that not all prospective buyers would know what they're looking at. And the omission of certain details while not inherently dishonest is still misleading to those who don't know better. I might not have a solution here. But I feel that something should be done regarding transparency when it comes to certain ads. 

Perhaps Bikehub could introduce some sort of buyers guide for new members? 

Asking sellers the right questions could go a long way into helping people make better informed decisions when buying bikes. If an ad omits the year model. You should ask. How old is this bike?

Have any of the components been swopped out?

You can't enforce how certain ads are structured. But I'm speaking directly to the seller now. Ask any price you want. But if you're going to sell a 26er frame converted to 650b. That's something you really should disclose upfront. 

people forget there is an advertised price and a sold price.

they not the same thing.

one is easy to monitor, the other reflects the actual market.

get your panties in a knot about the wrong one and well, you know I'm not risking a warning point

they not the same thing.

get your panties in a knot about the wrong one and well, you know I'm not risking a warning point

Advertised mtb at 4k, sold at 3750. That's still a lot of popcorn.

Edited by TNT1

they not the same thing.

coward