Road Bikes Disc Brakes vs Rim Brakes!

PlemPlem

On SA roads I'm more concerned about bending a rim on a pothole and than I am about bending my disc loading the bike.

Can still ride when your wheel is bent when you have a disc brake. :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On SA roads I'm more concerned about bending a rim on a pothole and than I am about bending my disc loading the bike.

Can still ride when your wheel is bent when you have a disc brake. :)

And you just need to open your caliper on rim brake, so no big deal.

And you just need to open your caliper on rim brake, so no big deal.

Still surprising to me how many people you see riding with their brake's quick release set to the open position permanently. 

Still surprising to me how many people you see riding with their brake's quick release set to the open position permanently. 

Draw a picture for me please, i dont understand ?

Draw a picture for me please, i dont understand ?

Here it's closed:

wanted-duraace-brake-quick-release-lever

Here it's open (making the calliper open wider. It's called a quick release, because you open it to get the wheel in an out and to let the brake blocks clear the tyre. When you close it again, the blocks align close to the rim.

1.jpg

Here it's being moved:

CaliperBrakeQuickReleaseB.jpg

Here is some advice:

https://www.fezzari.com/support/rb_brakes

All 3 grand tours in 2020 where won by riders on Italian bikes and rim brakes..................

And if you're a slovenian riding one of these bikes then you've pretty much got the tour in the bag. That's just stats. One can't argue with the stats.   

Probably could have killed two birds with one stone and added "road tubeless" to the conversation... :D

No, please don't! One discussion is enough!!

Then we can start on the real issue with cyclists and brakes. Having the front brakes on the left hand lever...

now we asking real questions

Been a motorcyclist longer than a cyclist and even with a few years now of cycling  i still sometimes have to think which side is front or rear   

instinctively i am always grabbing the right side for front brake  :blush:

Edited by YaseenEnos

Can't say it's ever taken me more than 10 minutes to align a caliper on any of the 4 bikes I have that have disc brakes (my 2 mtbs, my gf's mtb and my road bike). Either take an old credit card and pop a bit of it between the disc and the pads on both sides then tighten the bolts on the caliper or squeeze the lever and slowly and evenly tighten both bolts holding the caliper. 90% of the time it works every time  :P

Yeah, when you replace pads you need to open the bleed port at the lever and gently squeeze the pistons back into the caliper using either a dedicated tool like the parktool one or just a plastic tyre lever. Can get a bit messy if you don't have a bleed funnel. I've never had an issue of new pads rubbing after following his approach.

But again, each to his own. I like working on my bikes so the bit of extra time it takes with discs isn't an issue for me and I've not had to take a bike in to the shop to get the brakes sorted yet (all shimano: XT on the MTBs and Ultegra on the road).

You are talking Shimano...........whole different kettle of fish.

Buy some sram and we can compare notes again.   :thumbdown:

There is a reason why SRAM updated their road calipers very quietly without telling anyone......

Edited by Spinnekop

now we asking real questions

Been a motorcyclist longer than a cyclist and even with a few years now of cycling  i still sometimes have to think which side is front or rear   :blush:

My old man changed his brakes so as to mimic his motorbikes, with the front brake on the right hand side.

He didn't tell me this when I borrowed hos MTB, needless to say if ended in a OTB situation. 

My old man changed his brakes so as to mimic his motorbikes, with the front brake on the right hand side.

He didn't tell me this when I borrowed hos MTB, needless to say if ended in a OTB situation. 

All my bicycles are arranged like this for that exact reason...right is front. Simple. 

Seems the brits set them up normally like this , the euros the other way round. 

Here it's closed:

wanted-duraace-brake-quick-release-lever

Here it's open (making the calliper open wider. It's called a quick release, because you open it to get the wheel in an out and to let the brake blocks clear the tyre. When you close it again, the blocks align close to the rim.

1.jpg

Here it's being moved:

CaliperBrakeQuickReleaseB.jpg

Here is some advice:

https://www.fezzari.com/support/rb_brakes

Thank you. 

I will check my rim bikes, never thought of it to be honest. 

If I was going climbing in the alps I'd swop out the carbon hoops before I switched to discs. A mate of mine has a story he likes to tell about brake fade on the A'Ngliru..

Well, I rode the Otztaler Radmarathon spanning Austria and Italy twice which includes climbing four mountain passes.  One was Passo Giavo with a descent of 23km and 20 odd hairpin bends. The first time in 2014 it was raining and I was riding with my standard centre bolt mount Dura Ace rimbrakes riding on my older alu brake strip 303's. I did not have a problem stopping and worried more about skidding in the corner.

In 2016 it was dry and I was riding the same bike with my current 303 Firecrest's. No brake issues despite reaching speeds of up to 80km/h between bends and repeatedly hauling full anchors. I am not saying that discs might not have been better, just wondering whether the difference between the two types would actually have been that significant. 

On the subject of weight; in 2014 I was 92kg and my bike was 8.4 kg's and I failed miserably on the last hurdle Passo Rombo at 194km.

In 2016 I was 82kg and I tweaked my bike down to 7.6kg and I smashed the race!

In the high mountains every milligram counts!

Hence I repeat my opening statement - unless you ride regularly in Europe and race down mountain passes in bad weather then discs make sense but for the rest of us here in sunny SA, rim brakes without all the technical hassles  just make more sense (apart from the vanity aspect!).

You are talking Shimano...........whole different kettle of fish.

Buy some sram and we can compare notes again.   :thumbdown:

There is a reason why SRAM updated their road calipers very quietly without telling anyone......

Fair enough but by the same token you shouldn't judge all road discs based on one bad set.