Road Bikes Disc Brakes vs Rim Brakes!

PlemPlem

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, all my bikes are front brake on the right-hand side (because of the motorbike reason) and rear derailleur on the right-hand side. If I buy a new bike that's the other way around, it immediately gets swapped. Probably more important on the mountain bike than on the road bike for me though.

As to the rim vs disc brake thing, my first road bike was disc brake. In fact, all my bikes are disc brake. My wife has a road bike with Campag rim brakes. I can't believe how much better my Shimano disc brakes are. Wouldn't even think about swapping them for the more traditional alternative.

I have a strange way of setting up my brakes. MTB normal, rear brake on right, road bike opposite. I do it this way as on the MTB I use my rear brake most, on road bike opposite. So I always keep the brake I use most on the right.

I have a strange way of setting up my brakes. MTB normal, rear brake on right, road bike opposite. I do it this way as on the MTB I use my rear brake most, on road bike opposite. So I always keep the brake I use most on the right.

Why would you use your front brake predominantly on a road bike? I use mine pretty much together, unless its wet, etc.

Edited by MudLark

I think in a few years rim brakes and cable gears will disappear and road tires will be tubeless and wider.  I would not therefore put any big investment into a fancy wheelset, groupset, frame or bike that does not conform to this as in a few short years you will be behind the technology curve.

Having had a rim brake bike for 24 years and a disc brake bike for a year and half now I know the following:

1. [*]Disc brakes trumps in the rain.  Every.  Time.

Not sure about that.

When it rains it doesn't matter which bike is hanging on the wall as I pull the duvet over me....

Fair enough but by the same token you shouldn't judge all road discs based on one bad set.

I actually can.

My training partner rides DI2 Ultegra Disc.

Brakes have now failed twice in the 3 months I have trained with him daily.  It just fades one ride and then nothing.

No leaks no weird stuff that we can see.

Also the amount of brake rub on the Shimano is insane.  I thought SRAM monoblock was bad but the Ultegra jobbies take the cake.  

Hopefully Shimano can get something right on the upcoming launch of the new Di2 12speed? calipers.  Various patents have been filed a while back.

That said, I have not had ONE day of issues with any of my MTB discs.  None.  

Even after battling the last week with a set of XTRs I got them tuned to perfection with not much effort.  

So road still has to catch up in my opinion

Edited by Spinnekop

I actually can.

Brakes have now failed twice in the 3 months I have trained with him daily.  It just fades one ride and then nothing.

Also the amount of brake rub on the Shimano is insane.  I thought SRAM monoblock was bad but the Ultegra jobbies take the cake.  

Hopefully Shimano can get something right on the upcoming launch of the new Di2 12speed? calipers.  Various patents have been filed a while back.

Even after battling the last week with a set of XTRs I got them tuned to perfection with not much effort.  

I have that groupset on 2 bikes - the hydraulic version. One is a tandem, which has a rider+bike weight of 150kg, we routinely clock up to 90kph, sometimes higher. No rubbing, no noise, no fade ever. I bleed them from time to time, mostly when I replace the pads. Your friend has a mechanic problem.

Edited by 100Tours

I think in a few years rim brakes and cable gears will disappear and road tires will be tubeless and wider.  I would not therefore put any big investment into a fancy wheelset, groupset, frame or bike that does not conform to this as in a few short years you will be behind the technology curve.

Okay...

I can still go right now and buy a brand new car with drum brakes, so I doubt your prophecy is accurate with respect to the technology curve.

Then we can start on the real issue with cyclists and brakes. Having the front brakes on the left hand lever...

whats wrong with the front brake on the Left? I'm a Lefty....what you saying about lefty's huh...? <snif>

Maybe I didn't read all the responses properly and may have missed it, but 5 pages on brakes and no one has referred to a 'brake' as a 'break'.

Disks are heavier, have more aerodynamic drag and need more effort to maintain.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how a modern aluminium rim brake frame like a CAAD12 (1050 grams) with a rim brake Record or DA would compare weight wise with a Super6 disk? I know aluminium is not "pro", but my days imitating pros are past, and with wide rims and fat tyres it should be a good enough ride for a weekend ride?

Edited by Christie

We can talk all day about them. But for me, the confidence i have on a road with traffic and SA drivers is massively increased when i ride a disk brake bike.

Will i sell my rim brake roadie? Not a chance.

Will i buy another rim brake bike? Not a chance.

For mere mortals, i reckon the stopping power in all weather condition faaaaaaar outstrips the potential weight or aero oenalties of disks. Lets be honest, a good rim brake setup is just as finicky to set up anyway, and after a long descent on both, my arms sure as hell know which they're holding onto.

In other words. Disk brake bikes are better everyday real world bikes and you won't convince me otherwise.

I actually can.

Ask him to try MTB rotors, there is a lot less rub or fade. :)