Road Bikes Disc Brakes vs Rim Brakes!

PlemPlem

I was told recently by a cyclist that believed Disc brakes were the bee's knees and definitely for all road bikes - the cyclist then went on to say disc brakes belong on all bicycles. At that point I reminded the cyclist I raced track - summary disc brake 0 and non disc brakes 1, for road bikes.

Ever wondered why "Super man" Lopez almost had his back wheel "passing" him in his TDF 2020 crash into the road sign on a wet road with the beloved Disc brakes? No traction - light rider - what  about 1sqcm of tire in contact with the road, no ABS = brakes out performing tire.

The manufacture want disc brakes on road bikes - but it's a want - not a requirement (need) for better performance. Naturally they able to force this onto the cycling industry by not making what has been made for decades for road bikes.

Finally question from a racing cyclist point of view - why invest in something which only slows you down? I realize most road cyclist compete with other road users and thus need decent braking ability.

Should I raise the disc brake debate for TT bikes or is that arguments just been ridiculousness?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those seriously amazing hib threads..... I cant beleive the discussion is still carrying on 8 pages later. 

8 pages is nothing. There have been multiple and longer threads in the last year or two.

This us what I posted some months ago, and I think it remains valid, with one proviso;I read, but can't be bothered to find it now of a pro racer whose disks overheated and had a total failure on along decent in recent months.

I was in Italy for business and went to Caldonazzo to see a chap called Dario Pegoretti. Unfortunately he died before building my frame. I think he knew a bit about bikes so let me give you his view on the question.

He said that builders have had a century to learn about tuning the ride of a rim-brake frame; that moving the braking force away from the top of the fork and rear triangle to the bottom, and asymmetrically at that means you have to beef up the fork and frame and that has a negative effect on compliance and accordingly  comfort.

Therefore if you want a stiff, well tuned, comfortable ride, stay with rim brakes unless the bulk of your riding is in on long descents in the rain in which case disks have their place.

I have tried road discs and don't like them but using a iPhone 12.Where do i fit in then :w00t: :w00t:

When I started mtbking we rode and raced fully rigid bikes with cantilever or if you were lucky straight pull v brakes, no suspension front or back and definitely no disc brakes

Then the front suspension (fork) made its appearance, I was not convinced they would be successful or popular - WRONG

Then rear suspension came out, to heavy and bouncy I said will never be successful - WRONG

Then disc brake systems came out.... to heavy and not necessary I thought.... WRONG AGAIN.

And now the road bikes have discs.... I won’t bore you with my predications... let’s just say my new road bike has disc brakes and they are better than rim brakes except for one thing.... no quick release skewers.... wtf now you have to carry an additional tool to remove the wheel to fix a puncture.....

I left out dropper posts..... coming to your road bike soon

Edited by SwissVan

When I started mtbking we rode and raced fully rigid bikes with cantilever or if you were lucky straight pull v brakes, no suspension front or back and definitely no disc brakes

Then the front suspension (fork) made its appearance, I was not convinced they would be successful or popular - WRONG

Then rear suspension came out, to heavy and bouncy I said will never be successful - WRONG

Then disc brake systems came out.... to heavy and not necessary I thought.... WRONG AGAIN.

And now the road bikes have discs.... I won’t bore you with my predications... let’s just say my new road bike has disc brakes and they are better than rim brakes except for one thing.... no quick release skewers.... wtf now you have to carry an additional tool to remove the wheel to fix a puncture.....

So that means you did get disks... and you'll be wrong... which means my rim brakes are safe! Excellent, thanks!

Unless you have god like powers, physics doesn’t care about your bike skills.

Well, thank you. It's nice to be acknowledged.

The only on topic statement I made, is that Disc brakes are superior technology - I will stand by that statement. 

The post was generally meant to be tongue in cheek though.

But, now I will make some categorical statements:

1. Manufacturers are not going to be pushing a more expensesive, more complex system, if there werent actual benefits to it. They are not in the business of making bikes worse.

If it means they can make more profit by making it seem more expensive, they will.

2. Carbon rims using rim brakes are useless in the wet

Correct brake pads solve this. But I can only think of 3 times in the last 3 years I rode carbon wheels in the rain. Mostly only in a race, maybe.

3. Allu rims using rim brakes are mostly useless in the wet

Not sure what type of brakes you have been using, or if your brakes have ever been set up properly?

4. Disk Brakes solve 2 and 3

Only for the 5 out of 300 rides a year.

5. Extended use in less than optimal conditions puts serious wear on carbon rims. Dirt and grim getting between the pads and the rim will destroy it. 

In 22 years of cycling I have never worn through a rims braking surface. Especially in SA where we ride mostly flat roads.

6. Replacing brake rotors is cheaper than replacing wheels

If you wear through a set of brake rotors on a road bike then it explains the point above.

7. The mounting of disk calipers on the back side of a fork leg, is far superion to mounting a cantiliver brake to the front of the fork. This allows forks to be made lighter and more flexible in the places where it matter.

Actually the crown is a 3 point junction that is one of the strongest points in your fork. For a dis caliper to be mounted to a fork leg both legs needs to be stiffened to counter rotational forces and sheering forces where the caliper is mounted.

8. The technology is here to stay, and it will eventually replace rim brakes on pretty much all top end bikes. 

No doubt it is and it is already happening, but I dont think the technology is the driver, otherwise this would have started happening 12 years ago when MTBs went over to only Disc brakes.

9. Resistance is futile

Only in STAR TREK

10. Bike manufacturers have nothing to gain from introducing a critical safety technology that is worse than the system it is replacing.

They are not introducing something that is worse, but they do have something to gain by marketing it as better, upping the profit margin, because its "better" and deeming everything that was sold the last 100 years as obsolete.

11. Hydraulic disk brakes need less force to be applies, which is a major advantage on long days. Tired fingers on a long, winding descent at the end of 6 hour day, might appreciate that

This is very much dependent on what brakes you have. Some rim brakes are powerful as hell and needs close to the same amount of force as hydraulic disk brakes. I say hydraulic, because cable discs are worse than mid range rim brakes.

Just my 10c on your thoughts.

There is no right or wrong, as most arguments have a counter argument.

Buy what looks good to you. 

Edited by JA-Q001

Disc brakes are the way forward and if I was buying a new bike it would be the way to go.There’s no doubt about that.

I have 6 road bikes with rim brakes and 3 very good wheel sets .I’m not ready to part with them to go with discs right now.