Dual Suspension 26er or hard tail 29er for Sani2c?

rashaaad y d 11

Hi BikeHub community.

I’m a very average level cyclists and have decided to enter this years sani2c race. I’m doing it with a few friends as a fun adventure and so we aren’t looking to do the race competitively.

I’m currently riding a full carbon dual suspension 26er. A friend of mine has however offered me his full carbon hard tail 29er if I’d like to use it for the race.

I’m incredibly undecided and would appreciate some advice on which bike I should use, either the 29er or 26er.

Thanks all!

Full suspension over hardtail no matter what the wheel size. Except if you are a racing snake and the hardtail weigh half that of the full suspension. Sani is something to enjoy in the midfield and believe you me, at the end of day 1 you will already be grateful for the softer ride, let alone on day 3. Also, on an unfamiliar ride, you want to be riding the bike you know the best, especially if you want to enjoy the Sani single track. And yes, I'm also a pretty average cyclist, and on the wrong side of the age curve too. Oh wait, if you are twentysomething, by all means, go for the hardtail, you deserve the punishment!  ;)  :D Enjoy it, whatever bike you choose! :thumbup:

I agree with DJR on the ride a bike you are familiar with.

As a 29er HT lover there's nothing I would not ride on my HT. Requirements for a great riding HT #1 a good frame

#2 fat wheels +-30mm inside width rims and as fat rubber as the frame allows (anything from 2.3⬆️)

#3 light weight (it's a given on most well specced HT)

If it is between a well specced 26er and a entry level 29er stay with the 26er.

29er does make a significant difference on rolling resistance, BUT:

3 years back I trained for the Desert Dash on my 26" full suspension bike, 2 weeks before the race a friend also offer me a 29er (but also full susp).  The race was a breeze because of the "extra" training under the belt on the 26".

If it was a hardtail 29er, I think I would probably rather go for 26 full susp, long distance, multi day, your butt & body is going to thank you.

Edited by Theog

I've completed the past 4 Sani's on an Alu 26er HT - 2.1 tyres at 1.7 Bar. 

The race is not that technical.  The few sections that were rocky/technical enough to warrant a full suss can be counted on your one hand. 

Ah, DJR's comment just reminded me - the single track on day 1 is probably where I wished most for a full suss - where I assume the riders on the Trail and Adventure left it badly "rutted" with all the braking?

A well specced 26er full sus for a mid pack rider is perfect. 

I'm on the wrong side of the age curve!!!

Edited by Underachiever

I have not done the Sani before but today for the first time in probably 2-3 years I got onto a 29er HT for a quick 30km urban loop. They are chalk and cheese, there's no point in riding on a HT if you have the option of a dual. The wheel size will be an issue and you may need to work slightly harder than your friends but if you've put in the time I won't be too bothered

.....the first time in probably 2-3 years I got onto a 29er HT....

All i read was “ i have become so lazy, soft and weak in 2-3 years riding a squishy bike that i forgot what a bicycle felt like...”

????????????

/comic sans/ - maybe.... lol

Edited by morneS555

Hi BikeHub community.

I’m a very average level cyclists and have decided to enter this years sani2c race. I’m doing it with a few friends as a fun adventure and so we aren’t looking to do the race competitively.

I’m currently riding a full carbon dual suspension 26er. A friend of mine has however offered me his full carbon hard tail 29er if I’d like to use it for the race.

I’m incredibly undecided and would appreciate some advice on which bike I should use, either the 29er or 26er.

Thanks all!

100% go for the HT 29er! I had issues with my old 29" HT a while back and rode my old 26" in Barberton XCM instead. Huge difference. I've ridden Sani and J2C on 29" hardtails and they were perfect. Really nothing technical in S2C.

I have ridden Sani on both full sus 26 and HT 29. I would probably ride the 29 er, especially if its a 1x with a clutch type derailleur, this year may well be muddy if it rains. The 1x performs better in the mud with the clutch derailleur. Also it is more likely that the 29 er is the newer bike, so it would have less problems.

Rashaaad,

Just did the 36ONE Half on this bad boy. My body felt remarkably well afterwards and I must add, apart from the corrugated sections, the 26" wheels kept up with the 29ers pretty well.

I have to agree with the other opinions - when all is said and done, the choice is personal.

Cheers