The Munga 2020

JohanDiv

Too early to say, but Hansie breaking away from Benky?

Interesting to see what they each do at Loxton

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early to say, but Hansie breaking away from Benky?

Nah, I think they are riding together at the moment. Only a km difference on the map between them, and Benky's last GPS update was 3mins earlier than Hansie's. So they are probably together on the road.

Edit.. hang on, it's a bit more than a kilometer now, you might be right..let's see!

Edited by JohanDiv

I see another one of the participants is Philip Boardman, he is 70 this year. What a guy!!!!

Scratched last year, but back again and doing well this year. :thumbup: 

Phillip is an old running mate of mine. He is a guy that does those 400 km and more running events in the Deserts . lots of endurance 

Interesting to see what they each do at Loxton

I haven't had contact with Hansie since I left Pretoria end of 2006 but at the time he was an accomplished road cyclist . He certainly has the (road ) pedigree to do well.

I see another one of the participants is Philip Boardman, he is 70 this year. What a guy!!!!

Scratched last year, but back again and doing well this year. :thumbup: 

From our club, he also did Marathon Des Sables a couple of years ago.

I haven't had contact with Hansie since I left Pretoria end of 2006 but at the time he was an accomplished road cyclist . He certainly has the (road ) pedigree to do well.

Interesting. Guessing it could well come down to who does best on limited sleep as it reaches the latter stages. Hansie obviously doesn't mind a bit of sand as he'll have had a fair bit of that to power through already. There's a short/rocky stretch waiting for them after Fraserburg ...

Edited by walkerr

i hope the wind is not to mal before Britstown.It can really howl from the front.We had to visit WINDPOMPS and Farms around there, because we ran out of water.

If you can get to Britstown some time in the light then a quick nap and tackle the next section at night.

Its really sucks when okes go off-course.All your months of training and all your bucks down the drain with one mistake.

Navigation with a gps is part of the race, so your months of training will have included following a line on a gps. If they had prepared well they would not end up too far off course.

Just googled it, This thing looks the bizz nizz

https://www.rohloff.de/de/produkte/speedhub

Ja, but I think that Jewbacca has misled you about the quality of the Rohloff maintenance service. Nobody has ever had cause to test it.

This thing is the bastard child of a Patek Philippe and a T-34 tank. Indestructible and runs like a Swiss watch

No Rohloff hub has ever been close to the point where it requires a service other than to turn the cog around and wear the other side of the tooth down. It could have taken Neil Armstrong to the moon if needed.

No Rohloff hub has ever been close to the point where it requires a service other than to turn the cog around and wear the other side of the tooth down. It could have taken Neil Armstrong to the moon if needed.

You do have to replace the gearbox oil every 5,000km / 1 year though - so they definitely do need a regular service. In other words, if you started Tour Divide on fresh oil you'll need a service soon after the end. From memory, Pinion is similar but at 10,000km

Edited by walkerr

You do have to replace the gearbox oil every 5,000km / 1 year though - so they definitely do need a regular service. In other words, if you started Tour Divide on fresh oil you'll need a service soon after the end. From memory, Pinion is similar but at 10,000km

The little plastic driver bushings also wear out... 

Good for her - sand patches were horrible along there, may even be worse this year. Not being used to it, I went over the handlebars somewhere before WP2 in deep sand. Lucky a couple of guys were nearby to help me gather all my gear up and make sure it was all back on the bike. Learned a lot about riding deep sand over the next few days!

I also went over the handlebars somewhere around there on the Trans Xhariep. its very deceptive

I'm concerned for the two back markers Dirtrider is holed up at RV1 behind the cut marker so he really can't hang around for too long. While Patsy has been stationary for about an hour in the middle of nowhere.

I also went over the handlebars somewhere around there on the Trans Xhariep. its very deceptive

I remember more deep sand into and out of Britstown. Could be failing memory, but I don't recall too much more after these points - maybe a bit into Loxton, and some in the Tankwa just before the rocky climb on the way to WP10

I'm concerned for the two back markers Dirtrider is holed up at RV1 behind the cut marker so he really can't hang around for too long. While Patsy has been stationary for about an hour in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah - imagine he's a bit broken after that leg getting to RV1. He seems to be rolling again tho now

Edit - Patsy's dot seems to have gone a bit passed the gate where you leave the nature reserve. Don't recall fully, but maybe there's a water tap or some shade there? Perhaps trying to sort a mechanical or take a break from the heat

Edited by walkerr