The Munga 2020

JohanDiv

Phillip is an old running mate of mine. He is a guy that does those 400 km and more running events in the Deserts . lots of endurance 

I met Philip when we swept Cullinan to Tonteldoos, magic guy and somebody i'm following.

At first glance you'd think this old ballie's going to be my company for the rest of today.  What i realised is he's very methodical, keeps to a pace so he can go for days and doesn't waste time at Water Points.  After WP2, we never saw him again.

It's hard to describe him, such a positive humble individual.  He never brags about his accomplishments and you almost need to drag them out of him.  He can teach many athletes a thing or 10 about Ultra Endurance events!

GO PHILIP JOU YSTER!!!!

Also watching a few other guys and girls i know out there ;)

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to racing

I see Chris is making slow but steady progress!!! Up to 5th!!!

And gaining on 4th too - his pace seems higher than both Michael and Brian. He's like royalty/family at Pampoenpoort - should give him a boost to see friendly faces there.

Edited by walkerr

Cut off just passed Patsy's dot - but she's showing by the gate now, hopefully sorted whatever was wrong and can start rolling

Ja, but I think that Jewbacca has misled you about the quality of the Rohloff maintenance service. Nobody has ever had cause to test it.

This thing is the bastard child of a Patek Philippe and a T-34 tank. Indestructible and runs like a Swiss watch

No Rohloff hub has ever been close to the point where it requires a service other than to turn the cog around and wear the other side of the tooth down. It could have taken Neil Armstrong to the moon if needed.

Ask Mike Woolnough about the time he took a Rohloff on FC,....

Looks like Benky finds himself in a similar situation as last year, but this time with Hansie. Looks like they are riding together at the moment. I wonder if one of them is going to skip a nap or pull a fast one at RV3 to drop the other one..

except the rules have been changed slightly from what i remember. This is a race for first now, no gentleman's agreement ties

this might need an update for 2020...(it's worth way more!!)

1. The 2019 prize money pool is made up of 1.5 bitcoins. As of the 16th November 2019, this totals a ZAR amount of R186 493. One hundred and eighty six thousand, four hundred and ninety three rands.

the real winner would be to use it on a split frame to run a Gates drive belt. fuss-free and silent. Downsides are a weirdly balanced bike and a planet-sized hole in your bank balance

bizarrely that would not be strictly legal

Bicycles are only allowed to be propelled by a chainset and the rider’s physical power.

except the rules have been changed slightly from what i remember. This is a race for first now, no gentleman's agreement ties

this might need an update for 2020...(it's worth way more!!)

1. The 2019 prize money pool is made up of 1.5 bitcoins. As of the 16th November 2019, this totals a ZAR amount of R186 493. One hundred and eighty six thousand, four hundred and ninety three rands.

Yuup! As it stands, prize for first is R453 589,50 this year! No kumbayaing this time around! I'm just wondering where and when one of them is going to launch a sneak attack on the other.. with 500km to go there might still be a bit of chats going, but the closer we get to Ceres I think it will become quiet between them as they start planning their attacks, or start testing each other

Edited by JohanDiv

They are also entering Doolhof from the other side this year..it's a bit of an uphill drag on an open smooth gravel road with a slight bump down and flat to the finish line..not a technical descend to the finish line as previous years. I'm not sure what Hansie is riding, but if it comes down to a sprint on that open gravel road, I'm backing the guy on the gravel bike to take it over the guy on the MTB.

They are also entering Doolhof from the other side this year..it's a bit of an uphill drag on an open smooth gravel road with a slight bump down and flat to the finish line..not a technical descend to the finish line as previous years. I'm not sure what Hansie is riding, but if it comes down to a sprint on that open gravel road, I'm backing the guy on the gravel bike to take it over the guy on the MTB.

The wind could punish them from Gouda - those extra Kms are going to make it an interesting final

Edit - Benky seems stopped at the RV. Hope it's planned and not mechanical - valuable time lost.

Edited by walkerr

The wind could punish them from Gouda - those extra Kms are going to make it an interesting final

Yeah it's not without reason Gouda has that massive wind farm!

Geez and that headwind from Hermon to Wellington have been my enemy on countless occasions!

So if it comes down to a sprint, these are the weapons...

Benky:

post-119556-0-58998500-1607000440_thumb.jpg

VS

Hansie:

post-119556-0-13297100-1607000486_thumb.jpg

Patsy is on the move again but she has about 880 kms to go and at her current race average of 9km/h she won't make it, if she manages to ride at her moving average of 13.3km/h for at least 66 hours she can take  4 rests of 6h45m each so it's still possible.

Edited by River Rat

This is the inner drive Rohloff .This was a world traveller who stayed with me for a couple of days.He has been all over- Both Americas,Australia etc.

He only uses this as all other set ups wear out.It broke in South America somewere and had to courier it to Germany for repairs.

post-3614-0-82397300-1607000386_thumb.jpg