Need some guidance (severe upper leg cramps)

I suffer from cramping since my teenage years .Always worst on hot days ,higher intensity like road races and comes on like clockwork at just before three hours riding .If my whole body cramps it is a lack of Sodium mainly .Only legs is either lack of intensity training or Magnesium , Sodium and potassium .Salt capsules help for stage races .Acute cramping responds to various anti cramping ,magnesium containing stuff if you take a lot at a time like six USN crampblock tabs at a time .You might be dehydrated or have low electrolytes ,but cramping after 5 km is very strange 

Hi all I know the topic of cramps is never ending but please can someone maybe point me in the right direction

I've been cycling for 3 years now and on weekends we normally do 80km rides and in the week I do one or two 30km rides when possible

Last week Wednesday at work I felt my left leg giving some pain even walking up a flight of stairs at work but I never paid much attention. Then on Saturday past the wife and myself decided to cycle but 5kms in my left leg started cramping up and at 7km it started to affect my right leg. Canceled the ride and just about made it back to where we parked the car

I've been resting since Saturday and decided now to try cycle again and again 5kms in it just got too painful to continue

Any advice for me ?

I've been taking slow mag since Saturday afternoon in the hopes that it would help

At which point would you suggest I seek medical advice

Thanks

There is a useful thread on cramps here in this forum

CRAMPS: The clearest view I've read yet... - Training, Health & Nutrition - Bike Hub

Note this was from 2011 long before covid, as per some other posts it could be a good idea to get it checked out by a medical professional, rather safe than sorry

Straight to the doc.

Don't waste money on OTC supplements you hope will fix the problem. You never had an issue on 80km rides and over night you aren't able to go further than 5km without your legs cramping up, sounds like something in your body changed and you need expert medical testing and advice.

I notice a lot of the comments are relating to the cramps, but for me what stands out is the change. You WERE used to riding without the cramps and it changed suddenly and severely. Bringing your knee to your chest with discomfort is a red flag. You have to look at that change. Is it your bike, or something else that suddenly happened in your life. If there is no distinct change you are aware of.....Dude, you should have seen a dr. already

Thanks everyone for the responses appreciate it

My upper muscles above the knee are stiff its even painful to bring my knee to my chest

As mentioned we ride every weekend min 60kms so 5kms in really worries me

When we do 80kms I use biogen electrolytes during a cycle

My midweek cycles I just use plain water as thats under 30kms

Maybe its best I see a doctor

Not that you should need another vote for the Doctor, but seriously, go see a doctor.

Your body often sends warning signs via what we see as miscellaneous and minor ailments, which too many people ignore.

Suddenly it's serious and it's too late.

Picture this as your 'check engine' light flashing. 

Thats not normal......something is off. Go see a Dr.

This happened to a mate of mine's wife. Used to riding 3hrs+. then suddenly no energy, could not even pedal 15km/h. Went to the Dr, her blood levels was way down. She had Anemia, after tests, results was a peptic ulcer and required blood transfusion. 

dont play around when somethings off,

Some feedback I was at the doctor and it appears as if I've damaged my left upper muscle just a little bit and I'm not giving it enough rest. So no cycling for a week and I'm taking anti inflammatory tablets

However if this still persists then I will have to see a bio kinetisis

I also spoke to the guy who done my bike fit so I'm just waiting to meet him for a check up to make sure everything still setup properly