Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I totally disagree. I didn't say you were responsible but you took the aggressive blue pill when the pacifist red pill could actually have had a better outcome. What do we have now, another motorist who hates cyclists. Thanks.

I have never called a motorist rude words to cause a scene. Cyclists need to be chilled, it's just that simple. The whole thread title is "Motorists vs Cyclists", why does it have to be us vs them? Why does it have to be a confrontation?

It doesn't, and from a cyclist perspective it definitely doesn't because of the whole 2tons of metal with an angry driver thing. Share the road, do your bit to make that actually happen.

I reckon this oke was full of hate towards most things before I ever tangled with him of that I can assure you.

And just to correct any reputational damage I might be creating for myself here I actually pride.myself on being a courteous and considerate driver and most especially cyclist.

I stop for pedestrians and practice my wobbly track stand while doing so, I obey traffic signals unless it's dangerous to do so, I joke with taxi drivers who race me on dual carriageways ....

Seriously, I'm I good oke and didn't deserve this assault that a less sanguine person than I actually am would have interpreted as attempted murder.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I reckon this oke was full of hate towards most things before I ever tangled with him of that I can assure you.

And just to correct any reputational damage I might be creating for myself here I actually pride.myself on being a courteous and considerate driver and most especially cyclist.

I stop for pedestrians and practice my wobbly track stand while doing so, I obey traffic signals unless it's dangerous to do so, I joke with taxi drivers who race me on dual carriageways ....

Seriously, I'm I good oke and didn't deserve this assault that a less sanguine person than I actually am would have interpreted as attempted murder.

You really are 

Don't let the sjambok or mob advice get you down!

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

IF Uber could be bothered ... there are multiple cameras in their vehicles !!!

They CAN see the full interaction .... again, if they could be bothered to ....

This is news to me.. I’ve never seen anything that looked like it could be a camera.. 

but no Uber definitely couldn’t be bothered.. it’s the perfect business model for lack of accountability.. “our drivers are private contractors”.. end of discussion..

10 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I get what this oke is saying.. sometimes it’s better to just smile and wave.. but also totally understand why you reacted how you did.. it’s frightening when you think you could have been badly hurt or worse.. 

the closest a car has ever come to me was by a guy with an empty bike rack on the back of his car. What’s going on there.? 

in my experience people can just be really crap..🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Michael Dewing

43 minutes ago, Mamil said:

You asked for our opinions, that's always going to come with some judgement.

I don't condone what he did. Getting chased by a crazy sjambok wielding motorist is pretty extreme. You definitely have a case to pursue if you feel up to it. LPR could track him down even.

But coming back to the incident cause. You are not in control of the crazy people on the road and their actions. You are in control of your own actions only. You mention your mistake was touching his mirror. I think swearing at him in the first place was the fork in the road that took it down the path it did. 

Imagine the oke had a gun?

21 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

You are not in control of the crazy people on the road and their actions. You are in control of your own actions only.

As my dad told me the one time I walked across a pedestrian crossing without looking "because cars should stop": "Being right is no good if you're dead"

15 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

You asked for our opinions, that's always going to come with some judgement.

I don't condone what he did. Getting chased by a crazy sjambok wielding motorist is pretty extreme. You definitely have a case to pursue if you feel up to it. LPR could track him down even.

But coming back to the incident cause. You are not in control of the crazy people on the road and their actions. You are in control of your own actions only. You mention your mistake was touching his mirror. I think swearing at him in the first place was the fork in the road that took it down the path it did. 

Imagine the oke had a gun?

Sure I put it into the public forum to get opinions and accept judgement and I think it's clear that throughout I'm taking responsibility for my role in the creation of the situation. I'm not debating that. Smacking the mirror was a step too far - he would have left it had I not done that.

The cause of this incident is an aggressive, thoughtless driver showing a complete lack of awareness and disregard for the safety of road users driving an unroadworthy vehicle working in an underregulated and dysfunctional public transport system with a regulation flouting multinational which exploits its drivers and ducks responsibility for their actions. 

That's what needs addressing in some way (who knows how) as much if not more than my short fuse when adrenaline is pumping.

Read this in another forum. Relates. People need to relax. Speaking as much to myself as to everyone else. I lost to my hooligan side again earlier when a Uber popped a red and tried to gap my lane. In that instance I very nearly intentionally stepped on his bonnet with my 4x4. Upon my exit and his excrementing his pants I came to my senses and wondered quietly what the actual . . . that was about.

image.png.a5f785fabb0b793330b8fe945cc9ab43.png

I am yet to be buzzed by a car on these roads. And you'd just as likely hear the approaching car long before it passes, and if it does, you would probably be offered a welcome ride if it is going up.

image.png.21510d3e7ede04b0e802a00ac8f72bea.png

On the topic of sage advice from the old men in our lives. This from my Pa:

"Daar is niks wat ons daaromtrent kan doen nie, so gaan aan met jou lewe, luister musiek en as iemand vir jou k@k gee, dan moer jy hom!!"

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

13 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Read this in another forum. Relates. People need to relax. Speaking as much to myself as to everyone else. I lost to my hooligan side again earlier when a Uber popped a red and tried to gap my lane. In that instance I very nearly intentionally stepped on his bonnet with my 4x4. Upon my exit and his excrementing his pants I came to my senses and wondered quietly what the actual . . . that was about.

image.png.a5f785fabb0b793330b8fe945cc9ab43.png

In a country where the police & legal system is still working the way its supposed to, it should be fine to ride armed, unfortunately we are not so lucky, totally screwed, no matter what we do ... 

Edited by TheoG

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

I a country where the police & legal system is still working the way its supposed to, it should be fine to ride armed, unfortunately we are not so lucky, totally screwed, no matter what we do ... 

I am not so sure such a country exists anymore. This is why I haven't been on tar since probably March of this year. I stay away from the maddening crowds. Yeah, I'm fatter, but I'm alive and sane and less stressed.

Just been going through this thread and (I’ve probably said it before either in this thread or one of the other similar ones) it just highlights how aggressive South Africans are and makes me realize how much I don’t miss SA and this kind of unnecessary aggression.

Yes, having been in the very same situations whilst living in SA and reacted exactly the same myself, I know I’m the pot calling the kettle black.

17 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I am yet to be buzzed by a car on these roads. And you'd just as likely hear the approaching car long before it passes, and if it does, you would probably be offered a welcome ride if it is going up.

image.png.21510d3e7ede04b0e802a00ac8f72bea.png

On the topic of sage advice from the old men in our lives. This from my Pa:

"Daar is niks wat ons daaromtrent kan doen nie, so gaan aan met jou lewe, luister musiek en as iemand vir jou k@k gee, dan moer jy hom!!"

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Funny you should post that pic on the tar road I use to get to those trails (Tygervalley road) we have had a few incidents now of a taxi buzzing us on our weekly early morning group rides, despite the fact that we were riding in the yellow lane every time. It was always dark when it happened so we havent been able to catch the number plate, but I have a very strong suspicion its the same guy thats a regular on the route and gets a kick out of scaring cyclists by racing past them as close as possible.

I'm not a confrontational type of person but I would really struggle to keep my calm if I catch up to him at a traffic light.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:26 PM, Mamil said:

Snip

Does anyone want to hear my opinion - NO

Am I a legal mind - NO

Am I part of the HubMob fighting for causes which only appeals to me - YES

Is it Friday - YES 

So please take my opinion in the light mentioned above: 

He drove past you so close that you don't have to shave your right leg again anytime soon :D

Does he have the spacial awareness to know this? Probably not. 

So to him: being shouted at was the first point of contact and he replied to the verbal comment

He then carries on "earning a living" by dropping his clients off. He's then "attacked" (over exaggerated for effect) by a lycra wearing white man. He then has flashes of the apartheid days and fears for his life. This is cemented by the damage caused to his property. He then grabs his shambok in retaliation. 

Putting it like mentioned above you can see that if this was a legal battle it would look like you started the incident, the first bit where he drove past you really really close boils down to his word against yours. 

Have a great Friday everyone 

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Skarramoesh

not sure if I missed it, but how was he shamboking you ? 

He should have been sitting on the right of his car and you on the left of the road

45 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Does anyone want to hear my opinion - NO

Am I a legal mind - NO

Am I part of the HubMob fighting for causes which only appeals to me - YES

Is it Friday - YES 

So please take my opinion in the light mentioned above: 

He drove past you so close that you don't have to shave your right leg again anytime soon :D

Does he have the spacial awareness to know this? Probably not. 

So to him: being shouted at was the first point of contact and he replied to the verbal comment

He then carries on "earning a living" by dropping his clients off. He's then "attacked" (over exaggerated for effect) by a lycra wearing white man. He then has flashes of the apartheid days and fears for his life. This is cemented by the damage caused to his property. He then grabs his shambok in retaliation. 

Putting it like mentioned above you can see that if this was a legal battle it would look like you started the incident, the first bit where he drove past you really really close boils down to his word against yours. 

Have a great Friday everyone 

Have you taken all the pills your supposed to?