Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

not sure if I missed it, but how was he shamboking you ? 

He should have been sitting on the right of his car and you on the left of the road

I was in the right hand lane planning to get away from him by turning right

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mamil said:

I was in the right hand lane planning to get away from him by turning right

ahhh, ok, now it all makes sense.

I was wondering how he was getting his sjambok out the passenger window.

3 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Does anyone want to hear my opinion - NO

Am I a legal mind - NO

Am I part of the HubMob fighting for causes which only appeals to me - YES

Is it Friday - YES 

So please take my opinion in the light mentioned above: 

He drove past you so close that you don't have to shave your right leg again anytime soon :D

Does he have the spacial awareness to know this? Probably not. 

So to him: being shouted at was the first point of contact and he replied to the verbal comment

He then carries on "earning a living" by dropping his clients off. He's then "attacked" (over exaggerated for effect) by a lycra wearing white man. He then has flashes of the apartheid days and fears for his life. This is cemented by the damage caused to his property. He then grabs his shambok in retaliation. 

Putting it like mentioned above you can see that if this was a legal battle it would look like you started the incident, the first bit where he drove past you really really close boils down to his word against yours. 

Have a great Friday everyone 

What an appalling construction of the incident. 

Have a gorgeous friday

2 hours ago, Pandatron said:

On a sidenote -  Cyclist was knocked down in a hit and run on Cedar Road, Broadacres around 11am. Lucky a Cedar Lakes resident has the reg and photos.

From a friend on one of the WA ride groups: "Its C-- son M---, my neighbour. 
He has all the details - thank you"

My wife and I witnessed an incident that got unpleasant this morning on Main Rd in Lakeside (probably around 8:30'ish.

We were pootling along towards the Westlake traffic lights when a group of roadies came charging past us - they were a little spread out and riding at pace. Cars ahead were slowing down as you past the Woolies/bakery on the left and then the Spar parking before the lights. The group of cyclists were a bit 'all over the place', but were quite far ahead when I heard cars hooting, so don't know what happened. When we got to the lights, a few of the cyclists were having a shouting match with one of the cars. We scuttled past as the lights went green, only to be caught at the next lights near the BP garage. Things really escalated here with more shouting, MsP'ing, spitting and eventually somebody smacked the wing mirror so that the glass broke and the housing was hanging off. There was revving and the car tried to move to the side while other cars were hooting.
We didnt want to hang around and get caught in anything, so scuttled off again as the lights went green and we turned left at the BP to head into Kirstenhof, when the car with the wing mirror hanging off came past at pace - high revs, late braking, stressed tyres on the corners, with no indicators. Either he was fleeing or rushing to the Kirstenhof police station. We didn't see anything after that.

So, I don't know who did what to whom and when.
But I get the feeling that there were no real winners from that altercation.

We will never hear the motorist's side of things, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone else saw what happened.

Edited by splat

24 minutes ago, splat said:

My wife and I witnessed an incident that got unpleasant this morning on Main Rd in Lakeside (probably around 8:30'ish.

We were pootling along towards the Westlake traffic lights when a group of roadies came charging past us - they were a little spread out and riding at pace. Cars ahead were slowing down as you past the Woolies/bakery on the left and then the Spar parking before the lights. The group of cyclists were a bit 'all over the place', but were quite far ahead when I heard cars hooting, so don't know what happened. When we got to the lights, a few of the cyclists were having a shouting match with one of the cars. We scuttled past as the lights went green, only to be caught at the next lights near the BP garage. Things really escalated here with more shouting, MsP'ing, spitting and eventually somebody smacked the wing mirror so that the glass broke and the housing was hanging off. There was revving and the car tried to move to the side while other cars were hooting.
We didnt want to hang around and get caught in anything, so scuttled off again as the lights went green and we turned left at the BP to head into Kirstenhof, when the car with the wing mirror hanging off came past at pace - high revs, late braking, stressed tyres on the corners, with no indicators. Either he was fleeing or rushing to the Kirstenhof police station. We didn't see anything after that.

So, I don't know who did what to whom and when.
But I get the feeling that there were no real winners from that altercation.

We will never hear the motorist's side of things, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone else saw what happened.

The amount of traffic along Main Road between Fish Hoek circle and Tokai is enough to get anyone's tempers flared. 

the Northerners have hit us hard already!

Sounds like a terrible thing to witness. Makes my skin crawl when I have to witness such unnecessary aggression 

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The amount of traffic along Main Road between Fish Hoek circle and Tokai is enough to get anyone's tempers flared. 

Sounds like a terrible thing to witness. Makes my skin crawl when I have to witness such unnecessary aggression 

That’s always been such a horrid stretch of road traffic wise.. even worse over the what, ten years they spent widening it.. that didn’t really help though did it.?!🤦‍♂️🤣

3 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

That’s always been such a horrid stretch of road traffic wise.. even worse over the what, ten years they spent widening it.. that didn’t really help though did it.?!🤦‍♂️🤣

They widened it on the Fish Hoek/Clovelly corner to add a cycle lane then made it parking that is almost never used. 

As a Muizenberg local I'm fairly oblivious to it until I'm not. It took me 40 minutes to get from Fish Hoek to Muizenberg yesterday, which was unpleasant. 

I can imagine it raises the blood pressure of those who think they are better than the traffic as well as the cyclists who get passed by the same car 24 times 

@splat I'm glad the car driver didn't take you out because you're also a cyclist! Nothing like blanket rage

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

They widened it on the Fish Hoek/Clovelly corner to add a cycle lane then made it parking that is almost never used. 

As a Muizenberg local I'm fairly oblivious to it until I'm not. It took me 40 minutes to get from Fish Hoek to Muizenberg yesterday, which was unpleasant. 

I can imagine it raises the blood pressure of those who think they are better than the traffic as well as the cyclists who get passed by the same car 24 times 

@splat I'm glad the car driver didn't take you out because you're also a cyclist! Nothing like blanket rage

Oh I’ve sat for easily 40 minutes just trying to come down off boyes drive on the kalk bay side a bunch of times.. 😭

December around there was the worst.!

I grew up in fish hoek and lived in kirstenhof for many years before moving up to jozi. 

51 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I did a couple of work trips this week .... our very own Capetonians were driving "very poorly".  Easy to blame the holiday visitors, but we are bad enough all on our own ....

That said, I drove Bellville to Observatory this morning.  Roads were busy, but mostly much calmer attitude than during the week.

As for what happened this morning... short of a dash cam we wont ever know both sides.

No matter what the car driver did, breaking a mirror is not an acceptable response !!

This time of year, people are always in a rush and generally drive k@k. Saw it this morning. Had an old gentleman rev his car behind us as we left Simonstown, the bushes are a bit overgrown and perhaps we strayed a bit to the right, he was so angry🤷, then later past Kalk Bay a bakkie was getting so impatient as the car ahead took a while to pass a few cyclists due to the narrow road. Shoo, silly season is here!

2 hours ago, splat said:

Must have just missed this as I came through the area at about the same time.

Then while heading through the widest part of Plumstead main road I have some oomie and tannie lay on the hooter as I'm passing a slower cyclist because I only left them 10m of road.

It's official ... it's crazy season.!

Also heard of a fatal incident in Kenilworth - no details.

26 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Must have just missed this as I came through the area at about the same time.

Also heard of a fatal incident in Kenilworth - no details.

If we are talking about the same incident this morning, it was a heart attack near the Pick n Pay on Kenilworth Main Rd. I don't know anything more than that.
Very sad indeed!