Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

11 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.  —Maya Angelou

Week 5 since the hit & run incident in Green Point, Peoples.

My right leg is losing its musculature due to lack of activation and mobility. My ankle and calf is still under reconstruction and finding its way to full recovery with daily wound management and physiotherapy 3 x daily. My left leg is working twice as hard and compensating for its missing twin. 

I will walk again and my right leg is getting ready to kiss the earth in a few weeks’ time. Looking forward to the horizon, I have ordered a new road bike and replaced all my accessories which felt like an administrative task. My inner work now is to work through any splinters of post traumatic stress when I visit the scene of the incident next week.

Grateful for so many things: The loving and protective bubble around me at home, a durable and resilient body, the privilege of having a superb medical team attending to me and to all those caring messages that pulls me back towards Life. 

887E5890-E696-486A-941B-41426D8635FD.jpeg

Sterkte, Dale! Een van die dae sien ons weer jou mooi foto's wanneer jy buite ry.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/23/2024 at 8:00 AM, Zebra said:

Seems like Valley Road in Hout Bay, is going to have 6 weeks of possible stop/go road works, whilst the authorities (Urban Mobility Directorate) create a non-motorised transport infrastructure, SOUTHBOUND on Valley Road. (in my mind, Valeey roads runs somewhat East-West (rising and setting sun.., but anyhow!)

Mon March 25th until Friday 03rd May, including ‘weekend’ work from 09:00 until 15:30.

I see this as a brilliant initiative, since Valley rd is already used by many to avoid the lower slopes of C’Nek, for both road safety reasons, as well as other recent incidents near the Graveyard.

So sounds like a great initiative, and - this once - i am hoping any cynics give it a chance, before passing pre-judgement.

this is all i know, more as it happens.

Chris

Sounds like they're installing a pavement... let's hope it's not another Muizenberg - Kalk Bay scenario where an overly wide pavement results in the actual road width becoming tighter than necessary.

Hopefully I'm wrong!

31 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.  —Maya Angelou

My right leg is losing its musculature due to lack of activation and mobility. My ankle and calf is still under reconstruction and finding its way to full recovery with daily wound management and physiotherapy 3 x daily. My left leg is working twice as hard and compensating for its missing twin. 

I will walk again and my right leg is getting ready to kiss the earth in a few weeks’ time. Looking forward to the horizon, I have ordered a new road bike and replaced all my accessories which felt like an administrative task as my relationship to my endurance sport is under a necessary and important life review. My inner recovery work arising now is to search for any splinters of post traumatic stress when I visit the scene of the incident next week.

Grateful for so many things: The loving and protective bubble around me at home, a durable and resilient body, a steadfast mind, the privilege of having a superb medical team attending to me and all those caring messages and lekka visits that pulls me back towards Life. 

Be safe out there, Online Community. 💟

Good to hear that you’re making progress.

any leads on that vehicle by the way?

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

I will walk again and my right leg is getting ready to kiss the earth in a few weeks’ time. Looking forward to the horizon, I have ordered a new road bike and replaced all my accessories which felt like an administrative task as my relationship to my endurance sport is under a necessary and important life review.
My inner recovery work arising now is to search for any splinters of post traumatic stress when I visit the scene of the incident in the new few days. This task is an important part of healing, recovery and becoming Whole again.

Grateful for so many things: The loving and protective bubble around me at home, a durable and resilient body, a steadfast mind, the privilege of having a superb medical team attending to me and all those caring messages and lekka visits that pulls me back towards Life. 

I’m expecting to see you on the start line in September 

I did not even have a traumatic injury, and I can also see the difference in my legs, especially the left calf. Complete inactivity (stretches / physio excluded) eats away at your muscles in a hurry. 

I mowed my lawn yesterday (and it's a small patch of grass) and I could feel the fatigue in my legs afterwards.

First time I got on the spinning bike, the 10-minute session felt like a lap around the Peninsula.

Strongs with your recovery G.

Edited by Wannabe
Spelling

3 hours ago, 'Dale said:

My right leg is losing its musculature due to lack of activation and mobility. 

It happens so quickly.!

I remember my leg being strapped to a back slab for about a week post accident and pre-op ... I didn't recognise my leg when it was removed ... and 6 more months off the leg after that.

Strongs with your recovery. 🙏🏻

Your positivity will certainly be help.

My right leg muscles just about vanished after I broke my ankle and fibula. I started riding again after 3 months and within 6 months from the break the swelling reduced to a point of looking normal. For the next year I basically just rode weekends, but since I started training in January for the cycle tour both my legs regained muscle and tone to the same level I had before my manual induced break. So @'Dale I'm sure you will regain muscle, tone and strength within no time.

I also had to deal with PTSD back in 2016 after a crash put me in the trauma section at Durbanville Medi-Clinic. Upon a return visit to the CT scanner I remembered why I was there after regain consciousness after the crash in that same CT scanner. My whole body went through involuntary convulsions the second time that were so bad the assistant had to ask me to keep still. 

Robbie - dislocating my shoulder on Tokai/Cobra in early December, I also made a vist to ‘The Tunnel’ (CT scanner) for say the 07th or 08th time, b-u-t this time, for the first-time EVER, anywhere, I got claustrophobic (tunnel around 10cm from my face, and of course ‘The Noise’…)

only 25 mins, but I NEARLY pushed the Emergency button they give you, but i had dropped it, and felt a bit daft shouting ‘help’!

Got a new respect for that damn tunnel, clearly I needed a spoon of Chuck Norris TTFU! 

43 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Robbie - dislocating my shoulder on Tokai/Cobra in early December, I also made a vist to ‘The Tunnel’ (CT scanner) for say the 07th or 08th time, b-u-t this time, for the first-time EVER, anywhere, I got claustrophobic (tunnel around 10cm from my face, and of course ‘The Noise’…)

only 25 mins, but I NEARLY pushed the Emergency button they give you, but i had dropped it, and felt a bit daft shouting ‘help’!

Got a new respect for that damn tunnel, clearly I needed a spoon of Chuck Norris TTFU! 

I had a terrible experience with an MRI, no shame in it, needed a back scan so went far in, bailed and needed meds with the re-do! 

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

I close my eyes ....

That is NOT a nice place ....

On 3/30/2024 at 1:58 PM, Zebra said:

Can feel your pain(ic).

I spent about 40 minutes in one with the tube maybe 2 cm from my face and squeezing my shoulders. I also closed my eyes.

Edited by love2fly
Typo

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

Ah yes the ct scanner, I spent my 20min and R11k in it after a sweet little old lady moered me off my bike outside Builders Warehouse in tokai April last year. Docs were afraid I might have a ruptured spleen or damaged intestine had I had severe bruising in the area above my appendix to under my diaphragm. 
think I fell asleep in the tunnel. It was the only way to cope with the boredom 

I was in the Cradle today and I saw gentleman who had been knocked over seems that he had mild concussion a number of bruises possibly broken bones. I’m told that a taxi knocked this gentleman over. Just before we came up to this gentleman about 5 km before we saw Taxi Travel and around about + 130 km before the Rhino park entrance.  I used my hand to try and wave down the taxi to go slower. Of course he had no consideration whatsoever.  We did the entire loop and again we came across another taxi Travel at roundabout hundred kilometers an hour somebody is going to get killed unless there are more safety procedures put in place and massive big bumps to stop these vehicles from going so fast. Nothing else will work. THE restaurants, coffee, shops, and lodges that profit from the VAST number of Cyclists should put money together to put these traffic calming preventative measures in place. unless someone’s able to actually get this useless City Councile to do anything.!??

On 3/29/2024 at 9:55 AM, 'Dale said:

I will walk again and my right leg is getting ready to kiss the earth in a few weeks’ time. Looking forward to the horizon, I have ordered a new road bike and replaced all my accessories which felt like an administrative task as my relationship to my endurance sport is under a necessary and important life review.
My inner recovery work arising now is to search for any splinters of post traumatic stress when I visit the scene of the incident in the new few days. This task of facing the past is an important part of healing, recovery and becoming Whole again.

Lekker Dale, there is always a long tough climb to get to the top of the mountain where you can soak up the vista and enjoy the thrill of the hard earned decent with the wind in your face.

You are climbing that mountain, and will get to the top.

16 hours ago, Forthefun said:

I was in the Cradle today and I saw gentleman who had been knocked over seems that he had mild concussion a number of bruises possibly broken bones. I’m told that a taxi knocked this gentleman over. Just before we came up to this gentleman about 5 km before we saw Taxi Travel and around about + 130 km before the Rhino park entrance.  I used my hand to try and wave down the taxi to go slower. Of course he had no consideration whatsoever.  We did the entire loop and again we came across another taxi Travel at roundabout hundred kilometers an hour somebody is going to get killed unless there are more safety procedures put in place and massive big bumps to stop these vehicles from going so fast. Nothing else will work. THE restaurants, coffee, shops, and lodges that profit from the VAST number of Cyclists should put money together to put these traffic calming preventative measures in place. unless someone’s able to actually get this useless City Councile to do anything.!??

A few years ago I got taken out by a bakkie coming out the driveway adjacent Kenjara Lodge. He didn't see me and I T boned his A pillar....broken ribs and bike. I ride the Cradle 3 days a week and haven't ever had taxi issues but now with the new church and being Easter it's probably an issue. My biggest fear is along Malibongwe from the sattelite dish and the cars parked at the river below Toadbury. Twice I've had those cars pull out on me when I'm doing 70kmhr in the dip.

Someone needs to tell them that smell isn't Holy Water ...