Clearing an MTB path up Constantia Nek

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

I used to ride through Blue Valley all the time from Hout Bay but now drive to Constantia Nek to ride. Riding up Constantia Nek is okay but riding down can be dangerous in traffic. Especially if you need to turn at Longkloof. Hopefully this trail will allow us to ride down too. 

You can ride down the track as well, if i can do it the any reasonable skilled MTB cyclist can do it, just be carefull at the top when you are behind the barrier and in the rain water channel

On 5/18/2022 at 6:49 PM, Zebra said:

Will check out your new FB page, and commit to R200, 1% of your estimated needs. Are there banking details on your FB page?

now, you need 99 more equal donations…., then budget achieved.

Let’s Go!
1. Zebra R200

2. Splat R200

Done

57 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Is it safe to ride down the track with riders coming up?

Same as any dual direction trail surely? I mean, dog walkers, runners etc use the trail too.

Just be aware of that

15 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Same as any dual direction trail surely? I mean, dog walkers, runners etc use the trail too.

Just be aware of that

Idk I just worry about these kinds of things, but I am a pure roadie and naive. I’ll stick to sharing with cars instead of dogs 😑

Done, thanks for your excellent initiative, will watch out for progress, and start riding that way more often!
cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Work started, today, on our MTB track upgrade

Gift & Alic completed the most important corner at 'Phantom Acres' 

That corner is much safer now!

Thanks for the donations, we'll keep going until the money runs out

Go and try it out and give us your feedback 

Today we rerouted the track, away from the road edge, below the double wooden gates on the way up to Constantia Neck.
We've created a much safer route.
We will be back again tomorrow.
Get your bike on the track and test it out!

On 5/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Sid the Sloth said:

Is it safe to ride down the track with riders coming up?

Right of way negotiations will be more equal with fellow riders than with cars .

Also as it is not a dedicated downhill run , the rider coming up has right of way as far as I know  

8 minutes ago, Milosh said:

Right of way negotiations will be more equal with fellow riders than with cars .

Also as it is not a dedicated downhill run , the rider coming up has right of way as far as I know  

Seems reasonable. I’m sure a lot of riders are also ok with riding down the nek (as most of the time we are at the very least as fast as cars so can take the lane), so would venture a guess that there is likely to be more traffic up the trail than down it. My concern is definitely biased towards riding up the nek 👌

17 hours ago, Toby Adams said:
Today we rerouted the track, away from the road edge, below the double wooden gates on the way up to Constantia Neck.

I said hello when I rode past in my red kit on the Storck. maybe i should try the road bike on there... Looks pretty fantastic haha. Thanks for all the hard work. 

18 hours ago, Toby Adams said:

Thank you for this , I need to regain some fitness to start using it but a very exciting development thank you  

Kodos to all involved.

Edited by Milosh
regain fitness not get fit

17 hours ago, Toby Adams said:

But yeah, Thanks for this Toby, really great initiative. I’ve donated and shared with some of my cycling groups too, so hopefully donations can start picking up!

48 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I said hello when I rode past in my red kit on the Storck. maybe i should try the road bike on there... Looks pretty fantastic haha. Thanks for all the hard work. 

Some pictures of that Storck?